Andre Dawson blurb

Iowa

Always nice to hear things about my favorite ball-player of all-time. Thought I would share this little piece by Phil Rogers of The Trib:

For starters, this is not a knock on Ozzie Guillen. No one is saying that Guillen cannot succeed long term as the Miami Marlins’ manager. He was given a four-year contract and there’s no reason to assume that he won't get past his stumbling start to serve all four years, then some more.

But with that said, every general manager always keeps a list of candidates he’d hire to manage if he had to change on the fly. So I wonder, is there any chance that at any point Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria and president of baseball operations Admin Beinfest could put a Hall of Famer in the dugout?

“I like the role I’m in,’’ Andre Dawson said Wednesday. “I don’t know what I’d say if somebody wanted me to manage. I’m not sure. I think it takes a certain (kind of) individual to be a manager. There’s so much micromanaging of the game, and pretty much if you are a manager you are hired to be fired. It can be awfully stressful.’’

Dawson, the 1987 National League MVP who was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2010, is a Miami native and has worked for his hometown team since his retirement. He fills a variety of roles for the club, serving as both an ambassador and an instructor and evaluator, although he keeps a low profile when he’s on or around the field.

If Robin Ventura and Mike Matheny can succeed as managers without significant coaching experience, could Dawson?

“It would be challenging,’’ Dawson said. “I’m astute enough to know I know the game. One of the keys would be to surround yourself with great coaching. I think the quality of a coaching staff has a lot to do with the quality of a ballclub. The other key would be getting to know players, how to appease 25 egos. That would be a challenge.’’

Dawson spoke to about 150 seventh-and eighth-graders at Blaine Elementary, just blocks fromWrigley Field, on Wednesday as part of the Citi Cubs Kids program, which is funded by Citi and the Jackie Robinson Foundation. It was a great program at a great school. Blaine, which opened in the 1890s, has seen its enrollment grow from about 350 in 1998 to more than 900.

http://www.chicagotr...0,1173543.story

Think he would make a great manager. When he talks, people listen. He definitely commands respect. Hope he gets a chance one day somewhere.

No doubt, Andre is a great guy and an asset to the organization.

I guess many observers think that a good man will make a good manager, and that a good baseball man would want to be a manager. I do not think that's the case with Andre. He is a low profile guy, and prefers not to be in the pressure cooker every day of his life. He is also somewhat introverted, and that's a recipe for disaster with media wanting fresh quotes every day.

The same sort of thing happened with Tani Perez in his short stint back in 2001. He just didn't want to do it after about a month in the hot seat, even though he served out the year.

Just my $.02

he's waaaaaaay too low key in my opinion to be a successful manager. i can't even see him running out to argue a call with an ump let alone making a big enough fuss to get thrown out of a game. the fact that he's not sure himself whether or not he would want to be a manager speaks volumes to me. great dude but wouldn't be cut out to be a manager.

he's waaaaaaay too low key in my opinion to be a successful manager. i can't even see him running out to argue a call with an ump let alone making a big enough fuss to get thrown out of a game. the fact that he's not sure himself whether or not he would want to be a manager speaks volumes to me. great dude but wouldn't be cut out to be a manager.

Trust me, he can argue a call. My cousin used to Ump his kids little league games. He had to throw him out of the stands once.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.