Koehler wins rotation spot

Admin

Plus nothing wrong with having two long-men. What if, say, Turner has a bad start, and Hand needs to come in for 3-4 innings? Next day, Koehler has a bad start. Well, s***, lookie here, we got Slowey who can go 3-4! Bullpen is saved and rested.

Not in a very good spot if you are planning on needing two long men to clean up back to back bad starts.

I think one is enough barring an extreme situation and would rather have a power arm like Caminero.

Not in a very good spot if you are planning on needing two long men to clean up back to back bad starts.

I think one is enough barring an extreme situation and would rather have a power arm like Caminero.

Obviously you're not PLANNING on needing two long men or back to back bad starts, but it is a nice luxury to have. Plus they're also good to have in long late-inning situations. Remember Slowey pitched 7 innings in the 20 inning game in relief. Having two of those? Nice.

Besides, I'm sure they can both be useful in one inning situations, as well.

If you were to look at what they did in ST , Hand did enough to win the job, he was just sensational in every start but one , However Koehler pitched extremely well also, he actually was our most consistent starter...Hand's High was much higher so it could have gone either way...What earned Koehler the job IMO is the amazing improvement on the mound he has been steadily showing since middle of last season, he is not pitching like an end of the rotation guy he is looking more like a 2 guy and a stopper, I always said that it wouldn't come down to him and Hand, but actually Jacob Turner was the wildcard and Hand lost out to a resurging Turner, who the Marlins want to give every chance to succeed. They have to love what Hand showed this spring and he will get his spot starts anyway. No shame on Hand, he is a legitimate ML pitchers and the Marlins know it, soon the entire major league will know it as well

I agree Hand has a little more upside but only because Koehler was mired in the minors for a while even after posting ERAs in the high twos for a few years. He's decent fifth starter/long guy material. I could see him surprising a bit this year if he gets enough starts and posting a low 4s ERA. I bet we will have him on a short leash with Hand in the wings especially if Hand does well in the minors. Lets see if that motivates Koehler to throw harder.