Koehler wins rotation spot

Guest Guest

Good. Hand can't throw strikes, I don't care about limited spring innings. If we could get something decent in return for him and make Slowey the long man, I would trade him since he is out of options.

Hand has been pitching well since last season it is unfair to say he doesn't throw strikes...He actually outside of the one start last week has been the Best Pitcher of ST. Watching him Today about 15 other ballclubs would love to have him in their rotation

He definitely earned it. Koehler has oddly been getting better the last two years. Went from a career minor leaguer to potential 4/5 guy on a good pitching staff.

Soon to be replaced with Andrew Heaney I'm sure...

Oh yeah, this.

Koehler's peripherals were god awful in the 2nd half last year despite his decent ERA. His velocity seems to be on the ups in spring training so maybe he'll get some more swing and misses. I think Hand has the better stuff and would be more interesting to watch for 7-10 games. Oh well it doesn't matter.

Why? Koehler was good last year and out pitched Hand this spring. Koehler deserves the spot.

If you were to look at what they did in ST , Hand did enough to win the job, he was just sensational in every start but one , However Koehler pitched extremely well also, he actually was our most consistent starter...Hand's High was much higher so it could have gone either way...What earned Koehler the job IMO is the amazing improvement on the mound he has been steadily showing since middle of last season, he is not pitching like an end of the rotation guy he is looking more like a 2 guy and a stopper, I always said that it wouldn't come down to him and Hand, but actually Jacob Turner was the wildcard and Hand lost out to a resurging Turner, who the Marlins want to give every chance to succeed. They have to love what Hand showed this spring and he will get his spot starts anyway. No shame on Hand, he is a legitimate ML pitchers and the Marlins know it, soon the entire major league will know it as well

Guest Guest

Why? Koehler was good last year and out pitched Hand this spring. Koehler deserves the spot.

Koehler wasn't anything special last year (I don't want to see "more" of that performance) and Hand has much more upside.

Spring training doesn't mean a whole lot, either, and Hand held is own. Koehler was only marginally better in terms of ERA, but that fact is mitigated on account of the small sample size.

Koehler's last year was a mirage especially his 2nd half (4.13 ERA in the 2nd half). In the 2nd half in 74 IP he gave up 31 BBs, had a 275 AVG against, and a ridiculously high LOB%. It's not like he misses a lot of bats either. I heard his velocity is up in ST so maybe he gets better at that aspect. I assume we'll get mid upper 4s ERA out of him in the 5 spot which isn't the end of the world, but would be nice to see if Hand can be a MLB starter (he might be awesome in the pen though).

Koehler's last year was a mirage especially his 2nd half (4.13 ERA in the 2nd half). In the 2nd half in 74 IP he gave up 31 BBs, had a 275 AVG against, and a ridiculously high LOB%. It's not like he misses a lot of bats either. I heard his velocity is up in ST so maybe he gets better at that aspect. I assume we'll get mid upper 4s ERA out of him in the 5 spot which isn't the end of the world, but would be nice to see if Hand can be a MLB starter (he might be awesome in the pen though).

I'll bet Koehler's ERA is below 4 this season. Any takers?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.