Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Baseball Prospectus top 101

Featured Replies

Are you guys really surprised? We just graduated all of our prospects in the last two years. The few we had left we traded for right now talent. It happens. We will be back. Hard to have both a major league squad ready to compete and a great farm system at the same time.

 

 

Are you guys really surprised? We just graduated all of our prospects in the last two years. The few we had left we traded for right now talent. It happens. We will be back. Hard to have both a major league squad ready to compete and a great farm system at the same time.

 

​This times 10. It's not like we've had a crap system for a bunch of consecutive years.

 

 

Idiotic that the # 2 pick in the draft isn't a top 100 prospect. Rodon, selected after him, is 41. I can understand if someone wants to put him over Kolek for advanced level reasons, but there is -0- excuse to not have Kolek +/- 15 spots from him. Cubs high pick after both of them is in the 70s. The Cubs would likely have taken Kolek.

 

But I can understand the rest. Realmuto, Nicolino, and Williams are high ceiling, lower floor guys and Romero hasn't really proven anything.

 

Don't really care with Stanton, Yelich, Ozuna, Fernandez, Cosart, Gordon, Hech, tons of back end starters/relievers controlled for 4+ years, and a few years of Morse, Prado, Alvarez, Cishek, and Salty. But they do need to have strong 15/16 drafts and do a good job with inevitable pitching trades when they start moving some/all of Cishek/Koehler/Phelps/Ramos/Morris/Dunn/Crow to minimize payroll

 

 

Still pissed off at that horrific Dodgers trade.

 

​It's hard to understand why they didn't draft Rodon with ditching Heaney. I imagine they regret it behind the scenes right now as Fernandez and Rodon in July could be tremendous

 

 

  • 2 weeks later...
Idiotic that the # 2 pick in the draft isn't a top 100 prospect. Rodon, selected after him, is 41. I can understand if someone wants to put him over Kolek for advanced level reasons, but there is -0- excuse to not have Kolek +/- 15 spots from him. Cubs high pick after both of them is in the 70s. The Cubs would likely have taken Kolek.

 

But I can understand the rest. Realmuto, Nicolino, and Williams are high ceiling, lower floor guys and Romero hasn't really proven anything.

 

Don't really care with Stanton, Yelich, Ozuna, Fernandez, Cosart, Gordon, Hech, tons of back end starters/relievers controlled for 4+ years, and a few years of Morse, Prado, Alvarez, Cishek, and Salty. But they do need to have strong 15/16 drafts and do a good job with inevitable pitching trades when they start moving some/all of Cishek/Koehler/Phelps/Ramos/Morris/Dunn/Crow to minimize payroll

 

I don't really consider Gordon and Hech and Cosart as good things other than filler, but the highly heralded three guys (Yelich, Fernandez, Stanton) make the difference. 

 

That said, this farm is still really, really bad. 

 

 

Still pissed off at that horrific Dodgers trade.

 

​It's hard to understand why they didn't draft Rodon with ditching Heaney. I imagine they regret it behind the scenes right now as Fernandez and Rodon in July could be tremendous

 

​I know what you're getting at but I don't think they were so sure on giving up on Heaney at the point of the draft. They probably envisioned Fernandez, Heaney, Kolek, and Nicolino together at that point. The ship sailing on Heaney likely came way later in the process.

 

 

You guys have fun with your awesome farm systems. I'll take the awesome Major League rosters.

 

As the "first six year" guys graduate past arbitration, I think they'll trade them (and probably get a 2 guys : 1 return) and replenish like that. I'm referring to the Cosart, Cishek, Dunn, Gordon, Alvarez'es of the world.

 

 

They are certainly going to trade Cishek, but Cosart and Alvarez are cheap and going to be cost effective through arbitration. I find it doubtful they ever trade them. Dunn is a luxury next year, but they can probably afford him. I find it doubtful they trade him at this point. Gordon will never be traded for value. He is going to work out and they keep him, or he is going to suck and be worthless. I don't see it.

 

After Cishek, I see the most next likely guy to be traded is Ozuna. If he isn't going to sign a longterm deal, they could probably really, really, cash him in if he absolutely kills 15-16. Might be worth it at that point to get a multi player package, but that's obviously awhile from now and see what happens.

 

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.