Urena to AAA, JOSE back

I don't think Urena has anything left to learn in AAA. He showed awesome poise in the majors and showed to me at least that with some time he could be a mainstay in the rotation at some point. He killed AAA in his short time there and was par for the course in his first major league starts.

I do agree that if there's anywhere he can both help out the major league squad currently while simultaneously improving his pitching arsenal, it is going to be in the bullpen. Our middle relief has been a mess for most of the season and could use the conversion of some guys like Phelps/Urena/Koehler for the time being.

The only thing strange with Urena was how much he was walking guys in the majors. A huge positive with Urena in the minors was his control, and while his control wasn't necessarily horrid in the majors, it wasn't nearly as on point as his recent minor league stints. He's got really great natural stuff, so once he starts pinpointing his pitches again I feel good that he'll start missing bats again. I got a really positive vibe watching Urena pitch this season. If all goes right I wouldn't be mad or surprised in the least if he starts next season as either the #4 or 5 in our rotation.

Nicolino on the other hand feels like a work in progress. That great debut aside, his stuff is just as bleh as was advertised in the minors. He's never going to strike out many if any people, and he seems like a guy who'll be prone to getting shelled every couple of starts or so. I do love how good of control he has over where he places his pitches, but there's really nothing stand out about his stuff. I've said it in the past but he really does feel like a poor man's Andrew Heaney, which isn't necessarily bad, but only allows for a very small margin for error. It's interesting to me at least that Nicolino has far more experience pitching in the minors, yet it feels to me like Urena is more polished.

Haven't gotten to see enough of Kendry Flores to really judge yet. Adam Conley either, although his minor league career has been a bit of a roller coaster ride. I do feel good about Urena, but all we really need is at least one of Nicolino/Urena/Flores/Conley/Williams/etc... to reach or exceed expectations and become at the very worst a #4 in order for us to compete moving forward. Fernandez/Alvarez are cornerstone pieces, but after that only Cosart seems like somebody who should have a rotation spot for next year. Latos/Haren/Koehler/Hand should all definitely be traded at the deadline, with Phelps being a guy who should be traded only for the right price. I'd like to go into next season with...

Fernandez

Alvarez

Cosart

FREE AGENT SIGNING

Urena/Nicolino/Flores/etc...

I do still feel we're missing that one pitcher. Don't know who is or will be on the market this offseason but I think the team needs to go after somebody.

I don't think Urena has anything left to learn in AAA. He showed awesome poise in the majors and showed to me at least that with some time he could be a mainstay in the rotation at some point. He killed AAA in his short time there and was par for the course in his first major league starts.

I do agree that if there's anywhere he can both help out the major league squad currently while simultaneously improving his pitching arsenal, it is going to be in the bullpen. Our middle relief has been a mess for most of the season and could use the conversion of some guys like Phelps/Urena/Koehler for the time being.

The only thing strange with Urena was how much he was walking guys in the majors. A huge positive with Urena in the minors was his control, and while his control wasn't necessarily horrid in the majors, it wasn't nearly as on point as his recent minor league stints. He's got really great natural stuff, so once he starts pinpointing his pitches again I feel good that he'll start missing bats again. I got a really positive vibe watching Urena pitch this season. If all goes right I wouldn't be mad or surprised in the least if he starts next season as either the #4 or 5 in our rotation.

Nicolino on the other hand feels like a work in progress. That great debut aside, his stuff is just as bleh as was advertised in the minors. He's never going to strike out many if any people, and he seems like a guy who'll be prone to getting shelled every couple of starts or so. I do love how good of control he has over where he places his pitches, but there's really nothing stand out about his stuff. I've said it in the past but he really does feel like a poor man's Andrew Heaney, which isn't necessarily bad, but only allows for a very small margin for error. It's interesting to me at least that Nicolino has far more experience pitching in the minors, yet it feels to me like Urena is more polished.

Haven't gotten to see enough of Kendry Flores to really judge yet. Adam Conley either, although his minor league career has been a bit of a roller coaster ride. I do feel good about Urena, but all we really need is at least one of Nicolino/Urena/Flores/Conley/Williams/etc... to reach or exceed expectations and become at the very worst a #4 in order for us to compete moving forward. Fernandez/Alvarez are cornerstone pieces, but after that only Cosart seems like somebody who should have a rotation spot for next year. Latos/Haren/Koehler/Hand should all definitely be traded at the deadline, with Phelps being a guy who should be traded only for the right price. I'd like to go into next season with...

Fernandez

Alvarez

Cosart

FREE AGENT SIGNING

Urena/Nicolino/Flores/etc...

I do still feel we're missing that one pitcher. Don't know who is or will be on the market this offseason but I think the team needs to go after somebody.

NOW AVAILABLE IN PAPERBACK!  LOL