The case for Jose's Cy Young

Admin

As much as I'd love to see the Cy go to Jose - the people who vote on such things don't seem to look much beyond W-L record and ERA in most seasons.   You never know though, even though it shouldn't factor into the voting, Jose was such a beloved guy that he'll probably pick up some votes because of his passing was mourned by so many.

Without his death, he deserved votes but not the award.

I think his death should be factored in though.

He would've added to those amazing stats in last start likely because it was a home game. Something the writers should consider is the fact that Jose never won a Cy Young in his career.

He almost surely would have won one if not multiple ones during his career. Now, he will never have that chance. When looking back on him in 20-30 years, saying he was a Cy Young winner would be nice. He would've been.

Much like Sandy Koufax was put into the HOF despite a shortened career because injuries stopped him from achieving the usual necessary playing time... Jose's death stopped him from achieving greatness. He can't be put into the HOF, but he should take home a Cy Young and this is his last chance to do that.

Without his death, he deserved votes but not the award.

I think his death should be factored in though.

He would've added to those amazing stats in last start likely because it was a home game. Something the writers should consider is the fact that Jose never won a Cy Young in his career.

He almost surely would have won one if not multiple ones during his career. Now, he will never have that chance. When looking back on him in 20-30 years, saying he was a Cy Young winner would be nice. He would've been.

Much like Sandy Koufax was put into the HOF despite a shortened career because injuries stopped him from achieving the usual necessary playing time... Jose's death stopped him from achieving greatness. He can't be put into the HOF, but he should take home a Cy Young and this is his last chance to do that.

Emotionally agreed

Awards are commonly given on "legacy" and/or popularity/"character", which are entirely subjective and based on "emotion". How Jose doesn't win it this year is beyond me, highest K/9 innings, solid record and great ERA. Not too mention the solid hitting too. If he played for the Yankees or Mets the voters would give him MVP and Cy Young this year.

I think the problem is many would argue if his death even should be factored in. If he wouldn't have won it without dying, should he still win it? I definitely believe he deserves it and it would be awesome but there's a point to be made for the other candidates. If I'm one of the others and would have won the award before Jose's death, is it fair to take the award from them? It's possible some of the candidates might never have seasons this good again, should they be denied the honor just because of what happened on 9/25? Now if you absolutely believe Jose would have won the award without dying, then that's fine. But it's not that cut and dry really.

I think the problem is many would argue if his death even should be factored in. If he wouldn't have won it without dying, should he still win it? I definitely believe he deserves it and it would be awesome but there's a point to be made for the other candidates. If I'm one of the others and would have won the award before Jose's death, is it fair to take the award from them? It's possible some of the candidates might never have seasons this good again, should they be denied the honor just because of what happened on 9/25? Now if you absolutely believe Jose would have won the award without dying, then that's fine. But it's not that cut and dry really.

I agree with this. Jose wouldn't have wanted to win an award with a caveat like that. If the voters think he truly deserved it, then they should vote for him. If they believe someone else deserved it more, then they should not vote for Jose because of what happened. (All of this being said, I do think he deserves it, regardless of what happened, but the writers probably won't. He'll end up with a 2nd or 3rd place finish most likely.)