Article: Augmented Reality Umpiring: The Future Of Balls Zane Strikes?

Hammerhead

It will happen. Entire games have been decided by missed calls on balls and/or strikes. The technology to get every call virtually 100% accurate already exists. The argument will be simple "why keep getting these important calls wrong when the technology exists to get them right?" I'm not saying I'm for it and it will definitely be a hard sell but eventually yes it will happen.

It will happen. Entire games have been decided by missed calls on balls and/or strikes. The technology to get every call virtually 100% accurate already exists. The argument will be simple "why keep getting these important calls wrong when the technology exists to get them right?" I'm not saying I'm for it and it will definitely be a hard sell but eventually yes it will happen.

I can say with fairly high confidence that in our lifetime this will not happen.

I mean it's getting to the point that 10 year old kids in the crowd on their smartphones are able to instantly know if the pitch was truly a ball or a strike... why should the umpire on the field not know the correct call to make? There's no way this won't happen one day.

The same argument is what led to instant replay happening... "We have the technology to get the calls right, so why get them wrong?"

And just saying "human error is part of the game" is actually a stupid excuse.

That's like saying we shouldn't wear seat belts because people are gonna die eventually.

I mean it's getting to the point that 10 year old kids in the crowd on their smartphones are able to instantly know if the pitch was truly a ball or a strike... why should the umpire on the field not know the correct call to make? There's no way this won't happen one day.

The same argument is what led to instant replay happening... "We have the technology to get the calls right, so why get them wrong?"

And just saying "human error is part of the game" is actually a stupid excuse.

That's like saying we shouldn't wear seat belts because people are gonna die eventually.

Pitch FX is not 100% accurate.  You know that right?

One of the most frustrating things are those constant strike zones on tv, cause they are almost always off to an extent.  

One of the most frustrating things are those constant strike zones on tv, cause they are almost always off to an extent.  

Yes I know that. But having a set electronic system like that will eliminate absurd ball and strike errors that come from human brain fart errors. Wasn't it Aug 11, 2016 where the Cubs beat your Cardinals on a walkoff walk where ball 4 was pretty clearly a strike? Again, I'm not saying I'm for this but games like that happen and if there was an electronic strike zone in that one the Cardinals might have won it.

The game was decided by a missed call that an electronic strike zone would have most likely not have gotten wrong. It's as simple as that.

Like it or not eventually players, managers, coaches, front offices, owners, and even fans will agree to an electronic strike zone to prevent games like that from happening. Sad as it is, it makes too much sense to not happen.

Yes I know that. But having a set electronic system like that will eliminate absurd ball and strike errors that come from human brain fart errors. Wasn't it Aug 11, 2016 where the Cubs beat your Cardinals on a walkoff walk where ball 4 was pretty clearly a strike? Again, I'm not saying I'm for this but games like that happen and if there was an electronic strike zone in that one the Cardinals might have won it.

The game was decided by a missed call that an electronic strike zone would have most likely not have gotten wrong. It's as simple as that.

Like it or not eventually players, managers, coaches, front offices, owners, and even fans will agree to an electronic strike zone to prevent games like that from happening. Sad as it is, it makes too much sense to not happen.

A) Probably not cause my Cardinals were trash in 2016.

B) I would be SHOCKED if all parties agree on the elimination of umpires when it comes to calling balls/ strikes.  I think you are more in a fantasy world there.  Have you been reading fantasy books lately?

I'd argue that coaches should get up to two challenges a game for balls and strikes- the second if they were right the first time. Have someone who is watching in NY, and a cell phone or something that they can send a yes or no in two seconds if it was a ball or strike. No delays and time killing. You got 3 or four seconds to argue it or not. No video room guy watching and telling you "now!" You've been watching the same game as everyone else, if you truly think it's a call against you- be decisive and make a decision quickly.

Make it only available in the last two innings and extras.

Games are being decided, I think this makes it somewhat fair without taking the complete human element out of it.

Scenario: you have a pitcher who is a pure swing and miss strike thrower on one side. Easy for an umpire to call and get right. On the other side you have a Rembrandt style corner painter. My article states that umpires miss calls within 2 feet of the zone 1 in 3 times.

How is it fair to the team with the pitcher who throws to the corners of the plate (guys that usually have great stuff and control) that that umpire is changing the game for the benefit of the other team?

Even when it's not a guy like that they miss calls 1 in 8 times. They decide games for one side or the other and that is clearly not their function

Yeah Pitch FX isn't 100% but it's a damn sight better than missing calls on that basis that umpires are now.

This or something like it needs to happen. I proposed this cuz it still keeps the umpire behind the plate and gives him the ability to still call the game. I think it's a very realistic proposition.