Loria Q&A about Jose

Admin

The Marlins have set aside a locker for Fernandez in the clubhouse. What else do you have planned to honor him?

We're having a big sculpture of Jose made for the plaza or maybe in front of the stadium. William Behrends is doing it. He did the Willie McCovey and Willie Mays sculptures out in San Francisco.

I went through hundreds and hundreds of photographs with the sculptor and gestures of Jose's face to try and make it perfect. No one else is going to get involved in a piece of sculpture other than me, right? I've spent 50 years in that world.

We're going to cast it in bronze and paint the glove the red-orange that Jose would like, and that will be the only color on it. I don't want to make it kitschy, but that was his favorite thing. Hopefully we'll see it in six months or so. It's a very long process to cast a sculpture that's 9 or 10 feet high, as opposed to 6 feet.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19142040/unfiltered-qa-miami-marlins-owner-jeffrey-loria

Does it bother you that you come across as such a villain in your public image?

I don't talk about it. Most people don't know me. Most reporters don't know me. They never make an effort to know me.

What don't they know that they should?

Ask people like our scouts. I'm that way with my family: thoughtful, generous, caring, loving. But those words don't sell newspapers. What sells newspapers is, "How can you shoot him down? What can you do to take a potshot at him?" But I'm immune to that now. I don't care anymore.

It doesn't take away from my love of the game, which is genuine. I probably know as much about baseball and the game itself and the history of the game as anybody who's ever owned a team. I'm closer to my players than most people are. I don't think you'll find too many of them who'll say anything other than "good guy." Talk to Don Mattingly. You need to ask what he thinks. Talk to these people.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19142040/unfiltered-qa-miami-marlins-owner-jeffrey-loria

You can be a good person and still be an awful team owner. I have plenty of co-workers who are excellent people and awful teachers. It's not like you can either be good at everything or bad at everything. Jeffrey Loria may very well be an amazing person (doubtful given his contributions to ~~THIS SECTION HAS BEEN CENSORED AND THE USER HAS BEEN ASKED TO KEEP POLITICAL DISCUSSIONS IN A DIFFERENT FORUM~~), but that doesn't erase the empirical fact that he has not been a good team owner. 

People are multidimensional.  Loria has some good characteristics, and he has plenty of shitty ones.  It would be much easier for me to adamantly dislike him if he didn't show glimpses of being a good person.

I know it's been a few days, but I'd feel remiss if I didn't welcome you back to the board. In typical MB.com fashion, however, I cannot be super nice about it, so:

giphy.gif&key=ce5329dbfcf1ee13f8f2a68071264e2bfcf7a3fac86927d07ce86f53c360e2e7

You can be a good person and still be an awful team owner. I have plenty of co-workers who are excellent people and awful teachers. It's not like you can either be good at everything or bad at everything. Jeffrey Loria may very well be an amazing person (doubtful given his contributions to ~~THIS SECTION HAS BEEN CENSORED AND THE USER HAS BEEN ASKED TO KEEP POLITICAL DISCUSSIONS IN A DIFFERENT FORUM~~), but that doesn't erase the empirical fact that he has not been a good team owner. 

Absolutely but he has a point. He's called the devil and an asshole by some "fans" and that's not right since we don't know the man. If they just said he's a shitty owner that'd be one thing, but it goes beyond that with some.

Even a former Marlins employee who was fired by the club said he bore no personal animus toward Loria. "It's tough to describe Jeffrey,'' the person said. "He can be tremendously caring and very charitable. Underneath it all, he's a very benevolent person. But that doesn't necessarily make you a good businessman or owner or leader of a franchise.''

This sums up Loria, to me. 

Absolutely but he has a point. He's called the devil and an asshole by some "fans" and that's not right since we don't know the man. If they just said he's a shitty owner that'd be one thing, but it goes beyond that with some.

Oh, of course. But those are people without the mental capacity to separate one thing from another. Those are people who vote for someone who ~~CENSORED, USER HAS BEEN WARNED AND WILL BE BANNED IF HE CONTINUES INSERTING POLITICAL OPINIONS INTO THE MARLINS SECTION~~

When asked if he thought you should have some diplomatic expertise to be named Ambassador to France, naturally he said no.  Must be why he donated to (sorry apparently can't mention his name here) - they seem to think alike on this issue

When asked if he thought you should have some diplomatic expertise to be named Ambassador to France, naturally he said no.  Must be why he donated to (sorry apparently can't mention his name here) - they seem to think alike on this issue

You're allowed to say the president's name. Trump. 

I just ask that political discussions remain in the Bull Pen forum in general.

Discussing the Ambassadorship in this thread is fine though since it pertains to Loria.

The reason I ask to keep politics over there is because nearly every damn political thread ends up a fight.