Javy Lopez no Longer an option for Fish

SlapHands69

Great...Lost a whole bunch of players from the World Series Champion Team, doesn't look like we are getting any free agents in Lopez or Benitez...And this one year special money thing is stupid...Why bother pissing money away for one year on Vlad if he is only gonna leave like Pudge did... :thumbdown

Great...Kept the young nucleus of players from the World Series Champion Team, doesn't look like we are going to waste $ on overpriced free agents in Lopez and Benitez...And this one year special money this might not be a bad idea...Why not take a chance on spending the money for another year on Vlad if he brings us a World Championship like Pudge did... :thumbup

Oh yeah man, this is a bad idea. Let's keep what got us to the World Series and won it, pass on an aging, oft injured, and crappy defensive catcher, and then just use the money on either a kickass right fielder or a kickass pen. s*** man, what a stupid idea!

To me, signing Javy Lopez would be a big mistake. The guy had a big season yeah, but he just took the time to get whip himself into shape for a big contract in the offseason. We are talking about a guy who last hovered around .300 in 1999, and before last season hadn't hit more than 24 homeruns since '98. I think we would be taking a big chance in signing him, there would be a big possibility that he would have a drop off. You can't really bring in the Pudge comparasons because there wasn't much of an interest in Pudge when we got him, and he used last year as his "big free agent" year. I think the money would be better spent elsewhere, not on Javy Lopez.

"Give Peace, and Ramon A Chance"

Thank God we arent signing Javy. Juanky, werent you one of the ones hoping we would sign him too?

No, I have been a staunch opponent of Lopez since pretty much it was announced he was an option.

Well if No Lopez or Vlad.

I hope we get at least Palmerio because we really need some pop in the lineup to replace Pudge, Carny, and Lee.

well Pudge and Enc werent exactly in DLee's range in "pop" Well obviously :rolleyes:

But they did provide some with 16 and 19 homers respectivaly. We probably will get more than that from Cabs probably around 25 for him and Conine will hit anywhere between 15-20 homers. But Lee hit 31 even if he did hit them with the score up 12-1.

Plus theres question marks surrounding Castro and Choi. We really dont know what they can do playing a full season.

Guys, before we had CJ and Castro platooned with Redmond it worked out and they did well. I have confiedence on their on-field competence. The key is to improve that bullpen, the outfield has improved with conine, Cabs, and Pierre being out there. They can hit and catch, Pierre can't throw, but he could probably run it in quicker than if he did throw it.

The infield is the same except at first where we would have Choi/Conine and Catcher where we would have Castro/Redmond.

The rotation is basically set, although the fifth starter issue must be resolved and the bullpen is non-existant.

My priorities would be:

1) Bullpen

2) Rotation

3) Catcher/1B

4) Outfield

5) Bench

The rotation is basically set, although the fifth starter issue must be resolved and the bullpen is non-existant.

I agree. I think all this talk of Vlad and Javy are distracting from the big holes in the team. As we all saw from the Yankees, having a weak bullpen will catch up with you. I'd love to have a guy like Vlad on the team, but I think unless the Marlins start up a collection, it ain't gonna happen, and if it does, we ain't gonna have money to do anything else. As we saw with D-Train towards the end of last year, if we expect these guys to get into the 8th to get a win, they aren't going to have the steam down the stretch.

I want to know wtf the Cubs are doing. They trade for Michael Barrett after falling out of the Pudge race, and put Damian Miller on the block. But today it was reported that they went into the Javy Lopez sweepstakes. Is Hendry taking "How to be an idiot 101"? Or has he moved on to "How to be an idiot 102: The Steve Phillips story."

Dec. 17 - The Cubs are eyeing the Orioles' negotiations with Lopez and Pudge Rodriguez in hopes of swooping in landing Javy should Rodriguez sign with Baltimore. Chicago acquired Michael Barrett from Oakland and could ship Damian Miller to Oakland to complete that trade. The team also could decide to non-tender Barrett.

Reports are Lopez is still seeking $24 million over three years, and the Orioles are offering $18 million over three years. The Baltimore Sun suggests the Orioles don't have a real preference between Lopez and Rodriguez and will sign whichever player agrees first.