All-Star Voting

marlinsmaniac

Who you guys voting for? Here’s my latest ballot. As you guys know the Red Sox are my other team so that’s kind of the only bias I had (I voted any marlins I could the first time but none made it to this round of votes). Other than that I went by OPS and the only other factor was whether I thought the player was a dickhead (EX. I would never vote for Acuńa or Harper no matter how good a season they have) 

Share your ballots!

image.thumb.png.1c6939dda9ca874008aef6cea10e297b.png

Just now, marlinsmaniac said:

I never vote either, idk what drew me in this year lol no clue of the rounds thing is new 🤷🏻‍♂️

I did years ago.  I remember back when they used paper ballots, I'd grab a huge handful at the park and punch them out.

I haven't even watched the ASG in years either.....don't think I've watched it since it was here in Miami.

4 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I did years ago.  I remember back when they used paper ballots, I'd grab a huge handful at the park and punch them out.

I haven't even watched the ASG in years either.....don't think I've watched it since it was here in Miami.

Yeah same here with the ASG. I remember they made it “count” in 03’ in an attempt to make it matter more so people would watch but for me personally it just got too serious. I liked watching when it didn’t matter and you had Walker flipping his helmet and hitting right handed against Randy Johnson lol now these managers play it like a playoff game and it’s kind of a buzzkill for me

I haven't voted in forever but I think the rounds thing started two years ago. If it's the way I remember it the rounds thing is a step in the right direction for correcting the issues with voting but I still haven't voted in forever because I hate that it's such a popularity contest and as someone who doesn't vote by popularity I feel like my vote is meaningless.

Plus with my team not being very good or very popular I kinda don't care who starts the game. If I had a real chance to get a deserving Marlin to start I'd probably vote more. I do remember voting more years ago when guys like Hanley, Uggla, and Stanton had realistic chances to start and also back then it was easier to just fill out your ballot once and then with a few clicks you could just repeat your ballot like 25 times a day or something like that. I would make sure to go on almost every day and throw in more votes.

In general I think ASG voting for the starters is stupid because nobody does it right.

I've long thought that the starters should be selected through stats and a fan vote could be used for the reserves.

I think one year I had an idea of the entire team being selected by stats so that actual deserving players wouldn't get snubbed by popularity contests and then the fan vote could decide who starts but only from the team that was already selected. In that scenario fans can still do the popularity crap but they wouldn't be able to elect someone who wasn't a deserving all star to begin with. 

6 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I haven't voted in forever but I think the rounds thing started two years ago. If it's the way I remember it the rounds thing is a step in the right direction for correcting the issues with voting but I still haven't voted in forever because I hate that it's such a popularity contest and as someone who doesn't vote by popularity I feel like my vote is meaningless.

Plus with my team not being very good or very popular I kinda don't care who starts the game. If I had a real chance to get a deserving Marlin to start I'd probably vote more. I do remember voting more years ago when guys like Hanley, Uggla, and Stanton had realistic chances to start and also back then it was easier to just fill out your ballot once and then with a few clicks you could just repeat your ballot like 25 times a day or something like that. I would make sure to go on almost every day and throw in more votes.

In general I think ASG voting for the starters is stupid because nobody does it right.

I've long thought that the starters should be selected through stats and a fan vote could be used for the reserves.

I think one year I had an idea of the entire team being selected by stats so that actual deserving players wouldn't get snubbed by popularity contests and then the fan vote could decide who starts but only from the team that was already selected. In that scenario fans can still do the popularity crap but they wouldn't be able to elect someone who wasn't a deserving all star to begin with. 

Yeah I agree with you on that, there were definitely a couple of guys hitting below .200 on that list who were only there cause of who they are. What stat do you think should be the determining factor? OPS? WAR?

28 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Yeah I agree with you on that, there were definitely a couple of guys hitting below .200 on that list who were only there cause of who they are. What stat do you think should be the determining factor? OPS? WAR?

Could use all categories and list the player's average rank at their position.

Just as an example, let's say there are two third basemen, and these numbers are all random, and it's not just these stats I'd use, just simplified for the example. Stats by June 30th.

Player A:

AVG: .280 (7th among 3B)

HR: 21 (2nd among 3B)

RBI: 60 (1st among 3B)

Average ranking - 3.3

Player B:

AVG: .320 (2nd among 3B)

HR: 14 (6th among 3B)

RBI: 46 (6th among 3B)

Average ranking - 4.7

In this case, Player A would go over Player B since his average rank in the stats is higher. Player B can still be a reserve.

Could work!

6 minutes ago, Michael said:

Could use all categories and list the player's average rank at their position.

Just as an example, let's say there are two third basemen, and these numbers are all random, and it's not just these stats I'd use, just simplified for the example. Stats by June 30th.

Player A:

AVG: .280 (7th among 3B)

HR: 21 (2nd among 3B)

RBI: 60 (1st among 3B)

Average ranking - 3.3

Player B:

AVG: .320 (2nd among 3B)

HR: 14 (6th among 3B)

RBI: 46 (6th among 3B)

Average ranking - 4.7

In this case, Player A would go over Player B since his average rank in the stats is higher. Player B can still be a reserve.

Could work!

Hmm, that could work! Take it a Step further what’s the tie breaker?

22 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Hmm, that could work! Take it a Step further what’s the tie breaker?

Team record. Lol (no)

For top two guys, stats from July 1st to game before All-Star could determine the starter.

If it's a final reserve spot ... ehhh. That's a little tougher.

With this idea also there is no "every team is represented" rule. Gotta earn that spot (and we also didn't have a rep in 2012 after Stanton randomly decided to get surgery so that rule is technically bogus anyways).

Also requires the hitter to be qualified for batting title so 3.1 PAs per game.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Michael said:

Team record. Lol (no)

For top two guys, stats from July 1st to game before All-Star could determine the starter.

With this idea also there is no "every team is represented" rule. Gotta earn that spot (and we also didn't have a rep in 2012 after Stanton randomly decided to get surgery so that rule is technically bogus anyways).

Happy Cry GIF by memecandy

2 hours ago, Michael said:

Team record. Lol (no)

I actually was going to mention that - I remember that year Stanton was our lone rep for the game and got hurt and wasn't there.  And then I recall Omar Infante had good stats that year, but Bryce Harper was selected as Stanton's replacement because Harper (I get the position argument, but still), and resulted in us not having anyone in the game.  Come to think of it I think THAT was when I stopped watching the ASG, and made an exception when the game was here.