My Rose article

Wild Card

It was to be short, so here it is:

Rose: Does he belong?

One could argue that Pete Rose should not be there for the lack of integrity that he has shown over the past fourteen years. He bet on baseball, lied about it, and was even imprisoned at one time. But there is one thing that Pete Rose has done that cannot be denied or ignored: he played the game as well and as hard as anybody ever has. End of story.

He accumulated more hits in his twenty-four years as a major league baseball player than anyone else in history (4,256). He also posted a career record of 412-373 as the manager of the Cincinnati Reds. Anyone who can put up statistics such as those in a game that has so much emphasis placed on stats should be in the Hall of Fame. It is bad for baseball to keep a legend of the game out of the place that legends are remembered and embraced.

An amazing fact in baseball is how gambling is prohibited. If committed, it can result in dismissal from the league. Yet, there is no rule preventing or punishing the use of performance enhancing drugs (steroids).

What is worse: someone gambling on baseball, or a player using steroids to play at a higher level? If anything diminishes the integrity of baseball, it?s the anonymous ?cheaters? that try to stay on top as they age and their careers slowly but surely diminish over time.

Another thing that is incomprehensible is how there are, among other things, racists, rapists, drug addicts and even another member of the 3,000 hit club that some view as a murderer (Ty Cobb) in baseball?s Hall of Fame. And gambling, although an extremely serious offense when performed within ones own sport, obviously pales in comparison to things others have done.

A sixteen-time major league All-Star, Pete Rose played more, hit more, and most importantly, won more than any other player ever. Arguably the best hitter in the history of the game, it?s unclear why Rose is yet to have a plaque in Cooperstown. Hopefully, with his admission of betting on baseball, he will receive the recognition these accomplishments deserve.

It has a modified quote from Maggs in it which I thought fit perferctly with the theme (yes I recieved his consent).

Thoughts, opinions?

Well written, I just disagree with the premise.

Rose bet on baseball and lied about it. He bet on his own team. Allowing him back into baseball sends the message to all players that they can break the rules, ask for redemption, and all will be forgiven. No way. It sets a bad precedence, and would be bad for baseball in the long run. We can live without Pete's plaque in the HOF. His records are already in there.

Allowing him back into baseball sends the message to all players that they can break the rules, ask for redemption, and all will be forgiven.

But players that break the rules ARE forgiven almost always for their transgressions, especially ones that are of hall of fame calibur.

Guest marlins02

personally i would suggest removing his managerial record. alot of people say he gambled as a manager and not a player to justify why he should be allowed, with that stat i feel your taking that argument away. but thats just my opinion

on a 2nd note, like maggs said, dont listen to pubes ever

You know, he should be let in because of what he did as a player. He never threw the game as a player (neither did Shoeless Joe for that matter, but that is a story for a different thread) and the Hall of Fame he would be entering would be for the players. He shouldn't be allowed in the manager's part, but he wouldn't come close to qualifying anyways.

And honestly, I know betting is terrible for any sport. But is it really that bad to be confident enough in your team to bet on them to win everytime out?

u might wanna recosider cuz im awesome in everything.

i didnt know illiteracy was considered a talent It's a section on the FCAT and the Yale entrance exam.

Your only as smart as your lack of knowledge.

"Shoeless" Joe Jackson's 1919 World Series Numbers:

8 Games

32 At Bats

5 Runs

12 Hits

3 Doubles

1 Home Run

6 RBI's

1 Walk

2 K's

.375 Batting Average

.394 OBP

.562 Slugging Pct

1 CS

http://www.baseball-reference.com/j/jacksjo01.shtml

Oh, and he also threw out 5 baserunners and had zero errors in the series, handling all 30 outfield chances with zero errors.

And honestly, I know betting is terrible for any sport. But is it really that bad to be confident enough in your team to bet on them to win everytime out?

Yes. When THE rule in baseball is not to gamble and you break it, you deserve any punishment you get. He was arrogant, hell, he's said himself he did it because he didn't think he'd get caught.

And he didn't bet on them every time out. He never bet against them, but there were nights he didn't bet. So...if you're his bookie and you see that he's not betting on them, you've got an edge. Plus, he's more likely to blow his pen in a game he's got money on. And I don't care what he says (why the hell should I believe a word he says?), there's no way he didn't manage differently when he had money riding on it. None.

All that aside, he should be in the Hall. He has no business working anywhere in baseball though.

Also, nice work, Josh. :thumbup Ignore Pubes.