Everything posted by hot4beckett
-
Was Reading The News-Press This Morning...
Just as long as it doesn't happen to our guys.
-
Reggie Jackson speaks out on steroids
He said it how it needs to be said. Good job!!!!!!!!!
-
Marlins Memorabilia
That's a good idea to give some of us fans a chance at it first. :thumbup
-
Was Reading The News-Press This Morning...
Man, what's with these injuries so early. I hope nothing happens during the season. :blink:
-
Hippo Eats Dwarf
I almost wanted to laugh myself. I'm not sure how true it is. Looks like it came from a newspaper or magazine clipping. Can't remember what site it was where I found it.
-
Herald: No deal likely by deadline
That's not good. Thanks for the update.
-
3-pointers fuel Heat's rally over SuperSonics
3-pointers fuel Heat?s rally over SuperSonics By Ira Winderman Staff Writer Posted March 13 2004 MIAMI ? The Heat was being humiliated. Lamar Odom had just been humbled. This was not shaping up as the type of night that playoff races are made of. And then Rafer Alston stepped up and hit a 3-pointer. And another. And then Odom dropped in one of his own. Suddenly, it was a very good night, with nothing but positive energy emanating from the Heat locker room after an 82-74 victory Friday over the Seattle SuperSonics at AmericanAirlines Arena. "We finally stepped up and made some shots," coach Stan Van Gundy said, "and it was enough to get the job done." Ultimately, this felt very much like a job, after the Heat was unable to capitalize on an eight-point first-quarter by the fading Sonics and a 16-point first-half lead. Seattle, in fact, was up 72-70 with less than two minutes to play. But that's when Alston -- better known as "Skip to my Lou" for his streetball dribbling abilities -- turned pure shooter. His first critical 3-pointer put the Heat back in front, 73-72. His second, 26 seconds later, made it 76-72. Odom essentially ended it with a 3-pointer with 48.4 seconds to play that made it 79-74. "For Skip to step up and make those shots, those were huge, absolutely huge," Van Gundy said. "His first one gave us life and the second one was real big. And then Lamar's obviously put the icing on the cake." Actually, the out-of-town scoreboard may have been the frosting. With New York losing in Philadelphia and Boston falling at home to Indiana, the Heat moved past the Celtics and into a tie with the Knicks for the No. 7 playoff seed in the Eastern Conference. For Odom, walking away with the victory was especially gratifying. With 5:22 to play, Odom was humbled by a vicious slam from Sonics forward Rashard Lewis. The play happened in front of the Seattle bench, with several Sonics immediately adding to Odom's humiliation. Then came payback. "They were on me pretty good when Rashard Lewis dunked," Odom said. "You got on me, you've got to expect that back. So Skip hit the two 3s, I let them know about it. And then when I hit the 3, I really let them know about it -- words, a little body language." Considering the strides he has made this season, from erratic Clipper to Heat mainstay, Odom immediately realized it was a rare slip in maturity. He was especially embarrassed to find himself barking at Sonics coach Nate McMillan. "It's one of those things that happened," he said. "I wish it didn't happen." For the most part, the Heat was credible and consistent with the game in the balance. Foremost there was Alston, who has now converted at least one 3-pointer in 32 consecutive games, the longest active streak in the league and one shy of the franchise record. "I played with Rafer," said Sonics guard Ray Allen, a former Alston teammate in Milwaukee, "and that was always the one question about his game -- if could he hit the outside shot. He's playing now with confidence. "When he stepped up on those two trips, he knew he was going to make it." Actually, Alston was 1 of 7 from the 3-point arc before his back-to-back conversions. "They were just leaving me," he said sheepishly. Teammate Dwyane Wade noticed that as well. So when he was reinserted after struggling earlier in the game, the rookie guard quickly drove the middle, attracted a slew of defenders, and pitched back to Alston. Wade, in fact, had assists on all three of the late 3-pointers. "When I got back in the game, I saw nobody was really driving, so that's what I wanted to do," he said. "When he made those, it let us forget about the rest of the game and made for a great ending." Ira Winderman can be reached at iwinderman@sun-sentinel.com. Copyright ? 2004, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
-
Nine Bodies Found In Fresno
Nine Bodies Found In Fresno Police Say A Ritual May Have Been Involved Mar 13, 2004 7:01 am US/Eastern FRESNO, Calif. (AP) Police officers responding to a child custody dispute arrived at a home to find nine bodies and 10 coffins - and a 57-year-old man they believe killed all the people in the house. The victims were a 20-year-old woman, a 17-year-old girl and seven children ranging in age from 1 to 8. All were believed to be the children of Marcus Wesson, who surrendered to police after walking out of the house covered in what appeared to be blood. It was a discovery so grisly that it reduced even veteran Police Chief Jerry Dyer to tears. "I've been with the Fresno Police Department for 25 years, and I've never experienced anything of this nature," said Dyer, who wiped tears from his eyes as officers carried bodies of the victims out of the home Friday night, cradling the youngest ones in their arms. "We do believe at this time that the deceased individuals, most if not all, are the suspect's children," Dyer said. "This is obviously very unique and there may have been some type of ritual involved." The victims' bodies were found stacked in a pile of clothes inside the single-story home. The coffins were stacked along a wall. "Who knows? It could be a total coincidence," Dyer replied when asked why the coffins were there. Officers had been called to the west-side neighborhood about 2 p.m. Friday by two women who said a man inside the house had their children and would not release them. The man initially ignored orders to come out, running into a back bedroom as two women fled the house. Police believe the suspect fathered the victims with the two women who called for help and the two who fled the home. Neither they nor the victims were identified, and Dyer declined to release the cause of death. A neighbor, Chris Tognazzini, said he heard two gunshots moments before police arrived. Dyer said the women who called authorities told them they had given custody of their children to Wesson two years ago and now wanted the youngsters back. The slayings rocked Fresno, which Dyer said had seen only three murders during the previous 2? months. "The only thing we can do now is mourn. We mourn for the kids, we mourn for the police," said Mayor Alan Autry. "We will never be the same again." The police chief said some of the first officers into the house had already begun counseling. "They're going through a lot of emotional turmoil," he said, adding the officers were placed on administrative leave. Six police chaplains remained on scene throughout the evening as homicide detectives continued to gather up evidence. The house is located just a few blocks from railroad tracks, and the detectives' work was interrupted periodically by the sounds of passing trains. Neighbors, who milled around outside, said they knew little about Wesson or the house where a large yellow bus was parked in the driveway Friday night. "He never said 'Hi,"' said Linda Morales. "I'd drive by and he'd make a point to turn his face." Another neighbor, Johnny Rios, said that on many nights he heard loud banging coming from the house, as though the people inside were building something. "There was something up over there," Rios said. "I thought there was prostitution going on because there was always a bunch of women over there."
-
Latest Polll
We'll just have to see how Kerry does. He may be doing good now, but that can change.
-
Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas
I think "A Nightmare Before Christmas" was a different movie. That's what I liked about it. It was a little unexpected. Cool characters. Except the three little brats.
-
Hank Goldberg says we dont have the 137 million
Same here. :banghead
-
Back To Business
Beckett took over the role of team union representative this season, replacing departed reliever Braden Looper. Beckett has been involved in the national conference calls with other player reps and union leaders, and the 23-year-old says being involved in the union is something he takes seriously. While veterans such as Tom Glavine and Al Leiter have been vocal and active in union causes, Beckett figures they're not going to be around forever. Most players don't enjoy the rigors that come with being a union rep, but Beckett questions why players wouldn't want to be more involved. ''Why would I not be? It's my future,'' he said. ``A lot of people ask me, and it baffles me. Who is going to step up and take care of things? Someone has to.'' When asked if he had enough time to take care of baseball and union issues, Beckett quipped: ``I have plenty of time. I'm a starting pitcher.'' :mischief2
-
Now this is what I like to see!!!
We're still doing good. :thumbup
-
What does Atlanta thnk of the NL East?
Flamarlins3 Posted on Mar 12 2004, 4:31 PM So funny how everyone discounts the marlins. It is kind of sad if that writer actually believes that. I felt like I was reading an article about a huge hometown fan that is less than 15 years old. "You know, that's what ticks me off. Nobody gives us any credit for being a good team. It's always curses and billy goats. That's what makes me mad. It always has to be about the other team, and what they did wrong. It's never about what we did.? ? Josh Beckett, Marlins pitcher True.
-
Florida plays Houstin in Mexico City
:bandit A ver lo que pasa.
-
Clemens to face Marlins in Mexico
Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria wants his team to play exhibition games in Europe, possibly in Italy next year, a prospect that didn't thrill some players. :huh Huh?
-
bill conlin on Pitching and NL East
This article is off. This guy don't much about what he's talking about.
-
Cards pick up win over Marlins
Beckett didn't do too good.
-
Florida plays Houstin in Mexico City
Marlins ready for a fiesta; Florida plays Houston in Mexico City By Harvey Fialkov Staff writer Posted March 13 2004 JUPITER ? It turns out that outfielder Brian Banks had experienced the euphoria of a championship parade and reception with the president long before he joined the Marlins In 2001, Banks led the Culiacan Tomateros (Tomato Growers) of the Mexican League to a title. "My vivid memory is of a sold-out stadium that holds 15,000 roughly, and I'm playing left field. I look up and see fans literally up in the light standards and sitting on the back fence trying to peek in," said Banks, who along with most of the Marlins flew to Mexico City on Friday night for a weekend series against the Houston Astros. "It reminded me of what I imagine baseball was like back when Babe Ruth was playing and kids were peeking through the knotholes to try and get a glimpse of their favorite players. "After we won, they were just going as crazy as we were in the streets of Culiacan and the next day we went to Mexico City to visit what they consider their White House and meet with their presidente. It was my first championship, and then to come here and have a chance to win the big one was fun." When Marlins base coaches Perry Hill and Jeff Cox stroll to their respective stations at Foro Sol Stadium don't be surprised if they're wearing helmets. In 1986, Cox was coaching third base for the Navajoa Mayos when he felt a thump on his back. "They get quite excited there," Cox said. "They got me with a corn on the cob. It came a little bit after a skirmish. It was more self-preservation [than revenge] at that point of time. I'm just glad it wasn't bottles." Hill spent the final five years of his six-year professional baseball career in the Mexican League, playing shortstop for Reynose and Saltillo, where he batted .257 with eight home runs and 228 RBI in 622 games. "The fans were rabid, always chanting, singing songs like soccer fans, dancing on the dugout between innings and passing the hat [for money] after a player hit a home run," Hill said. "It was like a fiesta party atmosphere. "I've seen some objects thrown before, maybe not corn. I've seen some cans. They just love baseball. You won't go to a quiet baseball game in Mexico." Hill said his inability to speak Spanish forced him to spend many nights in his hotel room, where he laid the foundation for his theories on infield defense. The Marlins had a franchise-best .987 fielding percentage last season, tying the Cardinals for the best defense in the National League. "I had a lot of free time so that's where I basically developed some of my theories that I teach," Hill said. "It turned out helping in the long run." Marlins outfielder Jeff Conine never played baseball in Mexico City but his wife Cindy played there in a racquetball tournament. "She went out to look at the sights," Conine said with a smile. "Her white sweatshirt was brown by the end of the day. Black lung for everybody." Harvey Fialkov can be reached at hfialkov@sun-sentinel.com. Copyright ? 2004, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
-
3/13 Astros vs Marlins
MARLINS UPDATE Posted March 13 2004 Tonight's opponent: Houston Astros at Foro Sol Stadium, Mexico City, 6:05 p.m. Pitching plans: LHP Darren Oliver will make his third Grapefruit League appearance and second start. RHP Roger Clemens, who un-retired since walking off the mound to a standing ovation in Game 4 of the World Series at Pro Player Stadium, will start for the Astros. Also pitching for the Marlins will be RHP Mike Neu, RHP Nate Bump and LHP Franklyn Gracesqui. Worth noting: Every member of the Marlins' projected Opening Day lineup will make the trip except for 3B Mike Lowell, who is sidelined with an elbow injury. Also staying behind are pitchers Armando Benitez, Josh Beckett, Carl Pavano, Brad Penny and A.J. Burnett. On Sunday, Penny will pitch in a simulated game on the Roger Dean practice fields. Kevin Cave, Scott Sanders, Aaron Small, Ronald Belisario and Mike Flannery will also toss. ... The Marlins are the home team tonight. The designated hitter will be used during the series. ... ESPN's reality show Dream Job, which shot scenes during Thursday's Marlins-Twins game, will air Sunday night at 10 on ESPN. ... Left-handed reliever Matt Perisho, who's battling for a situational left-handed relief role with Michael Tejera, Tommy Phelps and Gracesqui, struck out two and allowed one hit in one inning. Tejera had an easy first inning, before pitching out of a bases-loaded jam in the eighth. Broadcast: None. Copyright ? 2004, South Florida Sun-Sentinel
-
Back To Business
Posted on Sat, Mar. 13, 2004 JOE RIMKUS JR. / HERALD STAFF IN CONTROL: Josh Beckett pitches in Game 6 of the World Series against the Yankees last season. Back to business Josh Beckett has put the euphoria of winning the World Series behind him and has taken on a new role as the Marlins' player representative. JUPITER - Josh Beckett has become used to living in the fast lane since being named World Series MVP. Once he shut down the mighty Yankees in the Bronx, busy days and nights have become routine to the brash fastballer from Spring, Texas. Friday was also very hectic -- if not all that memorable. Beckett started the day by heading up the Marlins' union meeting with Donald Fehr. The meeting was held in the Cardinals clubhouse -- with St. Louis players taking part -- just hours before the Marlins were to play the Cardinals at Roger Dean Stadium. 'SOMEONE HAS TO' STAND UP Beckett took over the role of team union representative this season, replacing departed reliever Braden Looper. Beckett has been involved in the national conference calls with other player reps and union leaders, and the 23-year-old says being involved in the union is something he takes seriously. While veterans such as Tom Glavine and Al Leiter have been vocal and active in union causes, Beckett figures they're not going to be around forever. Most players don't enjoy the rigors that come with being a union rep, but Beckett questions why players wouldn't want to be more involved. ''Why would I not be? It's my future,'' he said. ``A lot of people ask me, and it baffles me. Who is going to step up and take care of things? Someone has to.'' When asked if he had enough time to take care of baseball and union issues, Beckett quipped: ``I have plenty of time. I'm a starting pitcher.'' The union meeting might have gone well, but Beckett's third start of the spring got off to a rocky start. Beckett gave up four runs in the first inning before settling down. Three runs came off a bases-loaded triple by rookie Cody McKay. ''It was fun being over there, then I got to pitch against those guys,'' Beckett said. ``They got to see a softer side of me.'' Beckett's start Friday was his worst of the spring, but he said his mechanics were flawed in the first inning. He corrected his problem in the second and cruised through the next three innings. Beckett (1-1 in the spring) ended up giving up five hits in his four innings, striking out five and walking two. ''I wasn't breaking my hands in quick enough,'' Beckett said. ``I did it in the bullpen the other day too and tried to correct it there and it just carried over. It's a minor thing, it's nothing major. I had trouble with this in years past. What I want is when my leg's coming up, that's when I need to start breaking my hands. I knew I was doing it, I just couldn't correct it. I was more [ticked] off than anything. I had great stuff. It was such a waste of time fighting myself. I had good stuff and [wasted] it.'' Manager Jack McKeon didn't seem too concerned with Beckett's early struggles. This preseason, Beckett went 2 2/3 innings in the spring opener against the Orioles in Fort Lauderdale, giving up five hits and two runs. In his last start against the Expos, Beckett pitched four shutout innings, giving up two hits. ROUNDING INTO FINE FORM In the final three innings, Beckett looked a lot more like the pitcher who shut down Montreal than the one who got lit up by McKay -- a rookie who hit .232 at Indianapolis last year. ''They all have one [outing] like that,'' McKeon said. ``It's no big deal. He still went four innings and only threw 60 pitches.'' Beckett hoped to pitch in the fifth inning, but McKeon pulled him in. ''[McKeon] came down and asked me how I felt,'' Beckett said. ``I felt fine and wanted to go another one. I asked for another one because my first one was so bad. I just wanted to get my ERA under 2.00. I just got out of my groove and made a mistake [to McKay].''
-
Cordero Feature in Sun Sentinel
Good article. It tells you a little about him.
- Cards pick up win over Marlins
-
Cards pick up win over Marlins
:mad :
-
3/12 Cardinals/Marlins 1:05 PM
Cards batter Beckett in win over Marlins By Associated Press March 13, 2004 Josh Beckett gave up four runs in the first inning, then dominated in the next three as the St. Louis Cardinals beat the Florida Marlins 5-2 on Friday in Jupiter, Fla. Cody McKay hit a three-run triple in the first against the World Series MVP, who retired 10 of his last 11 batters.