The Rock's minor league notes

Shamrock

Which minor leaguers are off to a fast start?

Albuquerque - AAA

Tough to find anything positive, but its only 2 games into the season...

*Kevin Olsen pitched 5 innings allowing no runs and striking out 3

*OF Matt Padget had 2 hits in 8AB with a homer.

Carolina - AA

Those recieving promotions from Jupiter - A ....OF Eric Reed, 1B Jim Kavourias, 1B/DH Jason Stokes, and CL Kevin Cave

Started off a blazing 2-0 led by...

*Journeyman 3B Joe Dillon who has 3 HR in 15AB....Ive never heard of this guy so I did a little research and hes 27 yrs old with 6 minor league seasons under his belt. He might be a serviceable 3B insurance if Lowell goes down...mostly just fodder I suppose. He did have a very nice 25 year old season in for KC when he hit .318 with 16 doubles and 10HR in 220AB with 39BB to 38Ks.

*OF Chip Ambres has 3 hits including a double in 9AB.

*Another journeyman, 2B Jim Goelz, has 4 hits in 10AB

*Promoted 1B, Jim Kavourias, has 3 hits in 10AB including a double and a homer, but 5Ks

*Freshly promoted CF prospect, Eric Reed, is on fire...5 hits, 2SB, a homer...if he develops power I project big things for this guy

*Super prospect, 1B/DH, Jason Stokes is quieting worried fans and coaches with 2 hits in 4 AB...including a homer and a walk with 0 K. :)

*My favorite Marlins prospect, C/1B Josh Willingham, is off to an incredible start with 3 hits in 7AB including 2HR, 3BB, 1HB, 1IBB...for an OBP of .636 I LOVE THIS MAN

*And underachieving SS prospect, Josh Wilson, is off to a nice start with 2 hits in 4A....a BB and a homer...and no K.

Carolina pitchers have not been so hot...

Only bright was T-Hutch...5IP, 5H, 2ER 1BB, 3K, 0HR

Greensboro and Jupiter to come later...Enjoy!

HAhahaha...Eric Reed. Dont know how he has made it as an announcer for the Heat for so long - never liked his voice - but I do like the man. Does a great job and is a part of that organization.

As for the prospects, very encouraging, but really WAY too early to make heads or tails of anything right now. I do like Stokes, Willingham, Hutchinson, among others. A good year to really gauge our talent pool and watch it grow.

I didn't even know Stokes was moved up.

Nice to see though... He could be a key player around the trade deadline.

:anon i dont like it.

but you may be right...

it will hurt less if Mr. Chizzle becomes a force and locks up 1b for years to come :thumbup

I agree. If Choi is having a good season and show's that he can be a reliable starter in this league I don't see any reason why we shouldn't shop Stokes for bullpen help at the deadline. You could make an argument that Stokes could be Niner's replacement in left when he retires, but I think Hermida will be a better player and that when Conine retires Hermida will take over in Left.

I agree. If Choi is having a good season and show's that he can be a reliable starter in this league I don't see any reason why we shouldn't shop Stokes for bullpen help at the deadline. You could make an argument that Stokes could be Niner's replacement in left when he retires, but I think Hermida will be a better player and that when Conine retires Hermida will take over in Left. Dont forget about Chris Aguila. He has some ability too.

I think if the Marlins find Choi to be a very good replacement for Lee, which I dont see why that wouldnt happen, then having Stokes around for trade bait is a very good thing - obviously. But we need Stokes to play at the level he showed he was capable a couple of years ago. This farm system could start to bear some excellent fruit in the next few years too. I really like the job this FO has done thus far. How could you not?

If that happens, Stokes is perfect trade bait to an American League team...or he could move to LF, although I'm not sure if he has the ability.

When Adrian Gonzalez was still in the system, Stokes was taking flyballs in left, because they felt he would be versatile enough to play in the OF. Just food for thought, because I doubt he's going to be traded; last year I was at a Jupiter game and Beinfest and Samson were there and all they did was gush about Stokes' ability...