The Josh Willingham Watch

Ramp

catcher Josh Willingham went 2/4 last night with 1 run, 2rbi, and a homerun(7)

his average is up to .240(he was at .205 just last week)

for all you other statheads, his obp is .379 and his sluggin is .521

He is getting called up around the all star break. I can feel it.

He is getting called up around the all star break. I can feel it. maybe even earlier

He is getting called up around the all star break. I can feel it. maybe even earlier if we really need him-we will call him up earlier.

I thought he was in Double A. and a .240 average. I say hell no. He does not know the pitchers very well, that could lead to a bad mix. Unless he improves that average to well over .300 by the all star break, I'm not sold on him. Castro could hit .240 in double A or even triple A at that. The only way the marlins improve at catcher is through some sort of trade. Castro does need to go though.

I thought he was in Double A. and a .240 average. I say hell no. He does not know the pitchers very well, that could lead to a bad mix. Unless he improves that average to well over .300 by the all star break, I'm not sold on him. Castro could hit .240 in double A or even triple A at that. The only way the marlins improve at catcher is through some sort of trade. Castro does need to go though.

You're kidding right?

Even if a guy is batting .330 in AA he's not gonna bat anywhere near that in the majors. Look at Cabs. EVERYONE will have to adjust.

And we're not basing his play on this year only anyway.

You're kidding right?

Even if a guy is batting .330 in AA he's not gonna bat anywhere near that in the majors. Look at Cabs. EVERYONE will have to adjust.

And we're not basing his play on this year only anyway. So everyone coming out of AA will be the man in the majors. Cabs had a much higher average. I still say trade is the best option. If a guy batting .330 doesnt bat anywhere near that in the majors what happens to a guy in the mid .200s

You're kidding right?

And we're not basing his play on this year only anyway. So everyone coming out of AA will be the man in the majors. Cabs had a much higher average. I still say trade is the best option. If a guy batting .330 doesnt bat anywhere near that in the majors what happens to a guy in the mid .200s That wasn't the point I was making. I meant that it doesn't matter what they do in the minors. All that does is give them a spot on a major league team. But when they get called up, it's a completely new season for them. You have no idea what they're gonna do. So stop acting like .240 is bad because even if he did hit .240 in the majors, it's was better than Castro's .150.

You're kidding right?

And we're not basing his play on this year only anyway. So everyone coming out of AA will be the man in the majors. Cabs had a much higher average. I still say trade is the best option. If a guy batting .330 doesnt bat anywhere near that in the majors what happens to a guy in the mid .200s That wasn't the point I was making. I meant that it doesn't matter what they do in the minors. All that does is give them a spot on a major league team. But when they get called up, it's a completely new season for them. You have no idea what they're gonna do. So stop acting like .240 is bad because even if he did hit .240 in the majors, it's was better than Castro's .150. It is a new season but it doesn't necessarily mean he will actually bat better than .150. What about his defense? I'm not sure but isn't he new to the catcher position.

Anyways he could be an option, if he comes up and tears up fantastic. I just don't feel very confident with him yet, but then again you're right he can't be much worse than Castro. We still have Red who can't play every day, but once he is healthy he should play more then if he struggles MAYBE call Willingham up if a trade is not an option.

Guest Juanky

He is getting called up around the all star break. I can feel it. maybe even earlier if we really need him-we will call him up earlier. Thank you Captain Obvious

He went 0-2 with 2 walks today. The guy is a walk machine, but I don't think there is any way he gets called up until he gets that batting average up near .300, he's at .235 right now. . Pitchers have a little bit better command of the strike zone in the big leagues.

He's not going to hit for average. Just like Choi he slugs and gets on base through walks. If a guy can hit .240 and still get on base 38% of his plate appearances thats pretty damned valuable.

And just to be anal slugging % and OBP % are not for stat-heads. One tells how much of the time a player is on base. the other how many bases a player hits for per plate appearance. Pretty basic stuff.

He went 0-2 with 2 walks today. The guy is a walk machine, but I don't think there is any way he gets called up until he gets that batting average up near .300, he's at .235 right now. . Pitchers have a little bit better command of the strike zone in the big leagues.

He's not going to hit for average. Just like Choi he slugs and gets on base through walks. If a guy can hit .240 and still get on base 38% of his plate appearances thats pretty damned valuable.

And just to be anal slugging % and OBP % are not for stat-heads. One tells how much of the time a player is on base. the other how many bases a player hits for per plate appearance. Pretty basic stuff. I'm talking about above .250 in AA. I mean if he can't hit over .250 in AA then he's not going to hit over .200 in the big leagues. He's not going to make up for it as much with walks either because pitchers have better command of the strike zone in the majors.