Last Comic standing

TealMonster

Only watched one episode before last night...

Thoughts on last night:

I don't dig it. Too many vets coming out of the woodwork to score some work. And the fact that the judges weren't going to give the Russian kid a chance because he'd only worked for 9 months is bulls***. He was the best one I saw on the show the whole night.

I did think it was funny they wouldn't even let that guy who kept going to ALL the auditons (from California to San Francisco to Houston to New York) even try after awhile. I would have just let him on and cut him first from the next group.

Also, I don't find most of the judges funny, so I really can't place value in most of their opinions (only people who I find merit in are Wanda Sykes and Jay Mohr). Also, I haven't seen hid nor hair of last year's winner. What's he/she doing? I hope the guy who looked like William H. Macy won, he seemed very cool.

Also, I haven't seen hid nor hair of last year's winner. What's he/she doing?

Dat Phan? Good question...send out the search parties! :lol

I really like Ralphie May; he's a riot. Pick up his "Just Correct" CD if you can. It's funny, funny stuff.

Why the hell is Pablo Francisco on Last Comic Standing?

I thought the show was for ametuers who want to hit it big...

The guy is already a millionaire

That would be like Gloria Estefan trying out for American Idol

I kind of like Jay London (the ugly guy) the best. He's funny and he does nothing but one liners. I've got to admire that, because he doesn't do anything BUT schtick (Henny Youngman made it famous, he was famous for one-liners).

The stripper, however, sucks. She's only on that show for THAT reason.

I love Jim Norton, although I know he is going to make it into the house simply because he is a pro and good friends with Jay Mohr and one of the other judges. I think the intention is not to pick the absolute funniest stand up comic, but the comic that would add "value" to the show when they go to the "house". I am pretty sure this is the reason why they picked that "grungy" homeless looking guy. :rofl

I also think that it wouldn't be smart just to pick amateurs... They need the pros to pick and make fun at the rookies. :D

I love Jim Norton, although I know he is going to make it into the house simply because he is a pro and good friends with Jay Mohr and one of the other judges. I think the intention is not to pick the absolute funniest stand up comic, but the comic that would add "value" to the show when they go to the "house". I am pretty sure this is the reason why they picked that "grungy" homeless looking guy. :rofl

I also think that it wouldn't be smart just to pick amateurs... They need the pros to pick and make fun at the rookies. :D

Jay London had the best stuff last night in my book.

That "grungy homeless guy" is a pimp. At least his material stands out as something I haven't heard about 80 times before.

And that guy who does nothing but Latino humor (the same two jokes about Latino radio again and again) needs to go out.

I'm kind of hoping the big names try out for this next year, Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Dave Chappelle... Oh, wait, they get booked everyhwere as it is! Seriously, if you've got bookings and work regularly (like Ant) I don't see how this show could help you out.

Also, the young Russian kid I was raving about didn't make it. Kinda' pissed about that one. He was good, but apparently he wasn't "experienced enough." Gimme a break. Like there's some kind of prerequisite to stand-up...

That "grungy homeless guy" is a pimp. At least his material stands out as something I haven't heard about 80 times before.

And that guy who does nothing but Latino humor (the same two jokes about Latino radio again and again) needs to go out.

I'm kind of hoping the big names try out for this next year, Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Dave Chappelle... Oh, wait, they get booked everyhwere as it is! Seriously, if you've got bookings and work regularly (like Ant) I don't see how this show could help you out.

Also, the young Russian kid I was raving about didn't make it. Kinda' pissed about that one. He was good, but apparently he wasn't "experienced enough." Gimme a break. Like there's some kind of prerequisite to stand-up... I caught the show late, so I have no clue what Russian kid you're talking about. I do remember the Iranian guy, he was funny and they picked him.

You are giving these people too much credit. I honestly don't think they are out to find "talent" or the next Richard Prior. I think the sole purpose of these contest is to get the most interesting (in entertainment value) people for the house show. I know for a fact that this is the reason they put Jim Norton and some other pros in the bid. I'm telling you they are going to rip these kids, men and women until they cry and decide comedians are bitter and hateful people... Just watch. The homeless guy is going to be the surprise here... :D

I don't know who it was, but some guy started talking about lazy, illiterate people coming into Texas. You thought it was going to be Mexicans, but it was people from Arkansas. I almost crapped my pants. He didn't advance.

Best Comedian ever: Rodney Dangerfield

I liked Rich DeVos the best last year along with the other white guy. He was funny. I heard on the radio that last year's last comic standing was rigged and Dat Phan was to win no matter what. I didn't think he was too funny.

Nobody works a room like Rodney Dangerfield, PERIOD.

But in term of sheer material, I'd have to say Dennis Leary is one of the best (also, this is pre him turning into a mafia Don and hanging out with that loser fan club of his that follow him everywhere).

sucks jim norton didn't make it.

"Are you the guy from the Operation game?"

gold

That sucks. I didn't see it tonight, but didn't figure he had a shot in hell.

He doesn't fit the standard for what I think that kind of show would be looking for.

gold

i thought that bit was funny...and thought he was funny to look at and he sounded funny, but I thought the rest of his bit wasn't anything great.

I think the gay dude and black guy got in because they were gay and black, respectively. Moreso the black guy, because the gay guy was actually kinda funny.

gold

i thought that bit was funny...and thought he was funny to look at and he sounded funny, but I thought the rest of his bit wasn't anything great.

I think the gay dude and black guy got in because they were gay and black, respectively. Moreso the black guy, because the gay guy was actually kinda funny. Please tell me you're not talking about Ant?

UGH.

That guy has afull-time gig working for VH1 why does he need to be on Last Comic Standing.

he made me chuckle during his 5 minute standup...which is more than i could say for most. He definitely isn't FUNNY, but compared to the others, I figured he should make it.

He's made a living off of "fag" humor. Meaning he parades his booty out there, does schtick based on how gay he is ("Like my accent? It's San-Franciscan!"). Come on, that's like shooting fish in a barrel.

There's tired routines, then there's routines based on cultural stereotypes (I hated that guy who did the Spanish radio jokes). Both are the easy route. Too me it's too easy to take shots at cultural things (it's why I can't STAND Comic View, if there's a worse stand-up show you'd be hard pressed to find one). It's like the one white guy on an all black bill who does nothing but make jokes about white people. It's trite and cliche. But they think they have to stoop to that level to win the room because they insult their own audiences intelligence level.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.