Do we need another bat?

DTrizzle

Today we saw what happens EVERY time Pierre and Castillo have a good game...we win.

The question is do we need another bat to drive in those runs? Or will Cabrera, Lowell and Choi be able to do the job?

Do we need an Eddie Guardado more than a Beltran?

Slumping.

The talent is there on offense and the bench outperforming everyone's expectations.

If anything we just need some help for the bullpen. The current staff has been solid, but we need a stopper like Fox was. No one we have is quite as overpowering to be any more than role pitchers. Now however is not the best time to make a move for a reliever.

Right now it looks like the leadoff men are hot...but Lowell isn't doing anything about it

When we see Pierre, Castillo, Cabrera and Lowell consistently hit .300, which I believe they all will, this team is going to be nasty...

Our main weakness right now is Conine, but he should be able to get it going.

Eddie Guardado would be great, and yes our greatest need is to bolster the BP.

However, we also need another bat. We need a guy who can hit 3rd, allowing us to push Lowell and Choi back in the line up....keep Cabrera batting 4th.

I have serious concerns with Conine right now. If he doesn't get out of his season long slump with RISP soon, we will have to look for other options.

The difficulties with the BP are obvious, so 2 more arms are needed there.

Mike Lowell isnt striking out though. He is hitting the ball and he is getting the job done sometimes even without getting a hit like he did today when he hit the ball deep and got a sac fly.

He hasnt been that bad at the plate even though he hasnt been getting hits. I think he is going to come out of it because he is getting a lot of good chances to drive in runs and he has been taking some good swings.

Yes we need both another bat and a pitcher. If it's a Beltran i'll take him then try to send him away for pitching if not keep him and try and re-sign him.

Well I think this thread is more about if we only have enough money to get one of them. Either a good bat or a good pitcher-which one should we go for?

McKeon isn't to do it. He usually keeps a set lineup and tweaks it very little, mainly dropping slumping players. I don't think a single player has moved more than 2 spots from his usual spot more than once or twice since McKeon took over.

I do think Conine-Lowell-Miggy/Cabrera or Lowell-Choi-Cabrera-Conine is the best lineup for the club though.

The only reason Conine isn't hitting is that he's getting nothing to hit on the inside half of the plate. McKeon calling for the hit and run would probably help.

What do you think about batting Conine in the 3 hole?

He would have better protection in the lineup and probably see better pitches to hit...?

I have been screaming for this ALL YEAR LONG. (But no one reads my posts) I think Conine would be a better hitter at the 3. He is a clutch hitter and pressure is a good thing for him. He wont have to press everytime he gets a rare opportunity to drive in runs because the 3 hole presents them frequently. And Conine is a contact hitter who can drive the ball the other way (this is what made Fudge so successful at the 3 last season).

For God's sake, McKeon - LISTEN TO ME!!! Put Conine at the 3 for a week and I gurantee success.

I dont think we really need another bat. I also dont think we really need to get another bullpen arm. I think we have the talent to win right now. Our offense is going to struggle - every team's does. But today you saw what happens when Castillo and Pierre get on base - even with Lowell having an 0-for day.

That said, after the ASB, if a deal is out there to be made and improve this team (without sacrificing the future), then you do it. But right now, we are doing fine and I dont see any reason to think we wont be in 1st after the ASB.

Marathon, not a race....

jonnylons ... i have wanted Conine to hit in the 3 hole since spring training so dont worry you are not the only one

he is an RBI guy and he puts the ball in play ... plus in the 3 hole he will see more pitches to hit ... and thats a given

Good, Catchoftheday. Let's protest this and be heard! I am going to change my sig...do the same...and we could start a rally cry. Maybe someone will tell McKeon?!

UGH! Conine hasn't been able to even get the bat on the ball and make solid contact with runners in scoring position. So you would promote him. Obviously a disciple of the Peter Principle.

He is stuggling. It isn't because of the pitches he's seeing. It's happening with every kind of pitch he's seeing. I'd love to see the guy hit his way out of it, but not by heeping even more pressure on him. If he can't hit in the 5 hole, and then the 6 hole, I don't see him doing any better in the 3rd spot. But now you have someone killing the top of the order.

How do you bump Lowell out of the 3 hole anyway? He's doing a great job there. He's hitting for avg, power, and driving in runs, except for this minor slump. (so far) There is no problem in the three or four spots, it's the 5th that's causing the problems. Someone needs to step up there.

How do you bump Lowell out of the 3 hole anyway? He's doing a great job there.

As anyone who follows the Marlins knows, McKeon is not hesitant to shake things up when things need shaking up, like flip-flopping Pierre and Castillo in the one-spot as circumstances dictate. I think Lowell being the DH yesterday was an attempt to let him concentrate on his hitting and see if he could come out of his slump. Obviously, it didn't work. Bouncing him out of the 3 spot would only be a temporary move until he starts hitting again.

As anyone who follows the Marlins knows, McKeon is not hesitant to shake things up when things need shaking up, like flip-flopping Pierre and Castillo in the one-spot as circumstances dictate. I think Lowell being the DH yesterday was an attempt to let him concentrate on his hitting and see if he could come out of his slump. Obviously, it didn't work. Bouncing him out of the 3 spot would only be a temporary move until he starts hitting again.

That's so wrong. Only once has anyone moved more than 2 spots from their usual spot in the order. McKeon only shakes things up to drop slumping players.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.