MARLINS 2004

drguava

I've sat back and read some of the posts and complaints about the shortcomings of the 2004 Marlins and I have the following comments/observations:

1. WE WON THE 2003 WORLD SERIES - ask any CUBS, REDSOX, WHITE SOX or INDIANS Fan if they would like to be able to say the same thing!!!!!

2. Yes this team has weaknesses, like middle relief and some more hitting, but everyother team also have weaknesses and the proof is that here is June 17, 2004 and we are still in first place. In the history of the MARLINS we have never being in first this long so enjoy the moment.

3. Stop bashing Conine I agree that he has not done as well as expected but remember we wouldn't have won the 2003 World Series without Conine. He started out slow when he first came to the Marlins last year but in the last two weeks of the season and throughout the playoffs he was on fire if they pitched him inside he got a hit to left if they pitched him outside he got a hit to right. Unfortunately it is my understanding that he is having shoulder problems.

4. This is just like last year at this time and we all know what happen the FO went out and got some of the parts we needed. The FO office will do this again.

5. Stop bashing Jack Mckeon and his use of the bullpen. He is doing the best he can we the little talent that is there some of these pitchers are only good for one or two batters depending on the situation. Unfortunately the loss of Chad Fox has hurt this team more than losing Pudge.

6. Enjoy the moment the Marlins are in first place and they have a pretty good team. If they get to playoffs they will be even better remember one of those starters will go to the bullpen which will make the bullpen stronger. Pitching, defense and scratching out runs is what made us World Champions in 2003 and all those pieces are still a big part of the 2004 Marlins.

Thanks,

Dr Guava

5. Stop bashing Jim Mckeon and his use of the bullpen. He is doing the best he can we the little talent that is there some of these pitchers are only good for one or two batters depending on the situation. Unfortunately the loss of Chad Fox has hurt this team more than losing Pudg

Who the hell is Jim McKeon. :blink:

BTW: Jack is know for overmanaging sometimes.

in response to point #1...yes we won the World Series. We're happy. We want more. This team might have many of the same players from last year, but it's a new season. Winning the WS last year means nothing for this season.

We need to win more. I'm worried about Philly. They will make a run. We need to create some distance.

Agree with you there, but hey if we all agreed on everything this board would be pretty damn boring wouldn't it?

dude thats the reason why i love this board to read each others opinions...as for the fish there doing a great job with a minor league bullpen except for benitez and perisho,the hitting comes and goes but the starting pitching has been awsome...hope J.B. does well today...and remember we live in miami of course were spoiled another championship or else...

Guest FishFanInPA

We need to win more. I'm worried about Philly. They will make a run. We need to create some distance.

I wouldnt worry about them. They have a lot of problems and will not be a threat. They seem to be unable to put together a couple of wins in a row without an injury or a problem cropping up.

...All good observations, and I do appreciate your positive outlook.

Our primary rivals will be upgrading to fill holes.

We will need to do the same.

Discussing the holes, and possible solutions is the reason for having the forum in the first place.

**Plus it feels good to be able to vent every once in a while as well...it helps maintain the sanity....and clears the attitude for the next game**

5.? Stop bashing Jim Mckeon and his use of the bullpen.? He is doing the best he can we the little talent that is there some of these pitchers are only good for one or two batters depending on the situation.? Unfortunately the loss of Chad Fox has hurt this team more than losing Pudg

Who the hell is Jim McKeon. :blink:

BTW: Jack is know for overmanaging sometimes. Well Jack did a great job last year. I cant blame him on that. But it dosent mean that he dosent make any mistakes. He makes plenty of mistakes but he is better than a lot of other managers out there. And I agree, he does a good job with working with the players. He has done a great job. Who else could have took the Marlins all the way last year?

Our only threat is Philly, and they don't have our farm system to go out and get what they need. Granted, they don't need anything except a new manager IMO, considering the offense isn't exactly weak, the rotation has been great, and the bullpen can be the best in the NL if they can get it going.

The Phillies are extremely underachieving, where as the Marlins are just flat-out underachieving. The batting order has the potential to be nearly as good as anyone else in the league if they can get it going at the same time. The rotation is flat out sick, but they need to be more consistent (i.e. more like Carl Pavano). We all saw what Burnett IS capable of, we know what D-Train, Brad, and Josh Texas are capable of... That's hands down the best rotation in baseball if they can all stay healthy and get it going. This team should win 95 games, no excuses.

Our only threat is Philly, and they don't have our farm system to go out and get what they need. Granted, they don't need anything except a new manager IMO, considering the offense isn't exactly weak, the rotation has been great, and the bullpen can be the best in the NL if they can get it going.

The Phillies are extremely underachieving, where as the Marlins are just flat-out underachieving. The batting order has the potential to be nearly as good as anyone else in the league if they can get it going at the same time. The rotation is flat out sick, but they need to be more consistent (i.e. more like Carl Pavano). We all saw what Burnett IS capable of, we know what D-Train, Brad, and Josh Texas are capable of... That's hands down the best rotation in baseball if they can all stay healthy and get it going. This team should win 95 games, no excuses. it wouldn't be wise to discount the braves....

they PWNZ us

This team should win 95 games, no excuses.

Of course you realize we are on track to win 90 games with a .554 winning %.

To get to 95 games we are going to have to go .608 the rest of the way....a mark that only the NY Yankees are achieving at this time.

To get to 95 games we are going to have to go .608 the rest of the way....a mark that only the NY Yankees are achieving at this time. well we were able to do that last year with Jack...

so I think we could do that again

I mean win 6 out of every 10 games?

we can do it.

:)

To get to 95 games we are going to have to go .608 the rest of the way....a mark that only the NY Yankees are achieving at this time. Yeah but we've played .500 ball for months. If we keep this up, we'll finish like 8 over .500.

To get to 95 games we are going to have to go .608 the rest of the way....a mark that only the NY Yankees are achieving at this time. Yeah but we've played .500 ball for months. If we keep this up, we'll finish like 8 over .500. :thumbup

I'll take that.

Along with a division title...

To get to 95 games we are going to have to go .608 the rest of the way....a mark that only the NY Yankees are achieving at this time. Yeah but we've played .500 ball for months. If we keep this up, we'll finish like 8 over .500. That would be 89 wins :p

Unlikely to win the division or the wild card.

To get to 95 games we are going to have to go .608 the rest of the way....a mark that only the NY Yankees are achieving at this time. Hey PBMarlin, READ MY SIG...

I think some people here are making a huge deal out of us leading the division now.

Is not who is leading any division now, it is who will be leading the division by the end of the regular season.

Bottom line, we have been playing .500 ball and the Phillies have been close all year.

At this time, anything can happend. Even the Mets or Braves can take this division.

I hope we get a solid reliever and our starting pitching gets on a roll.

Don't get me wrong, I like our chances.