Ideas for offensive upgrade

Iowa

k, im just throwing names out there so don't take any shots at me for maybe naming people who aren't good ideas because I didn't put to much thought into the list of people.

Do we have any shot at any of these players and who would you like to see the Fish make a run at? Also, I'd like to hear some ideas of other players who I haven't named.

Carlos Beltran

Frank Catalanatto

Rondell White

Matt Lawton

Craig Wilson

Daryl Ward

Jeromy Burnitz

Austin Kearns

Carl Everett

Brad Wilkerson

Personally, I'd like to see us make a run at Rondell White but I don't know what Detroit's plans are or if he is even expendable. I think him batting 5th in our lineup would be perfect.

Lawton is too expensive

White is made of glass

Everrett has a tude and is injury prone

Kearns probably will not be dealt

Beltran can be had but we would give the farm and it would be a rental sicne Borass wants to test the market.

I'd like to add three names to this list:

1. Steve Finley - Approx $3.5M left for season

2. Danny Bautista - Approx $2MM left for season

3. David Dellucci - approx $375k left for season

Finley would add veteran leadership, power and a great glove.

Dellucci is inexpensive, would set up a platoon in LF between he and Conine and also give us someone to play CF and give Pierre a rest once in a while (assuming Nunez would be gone).

Bautista has a .295 average the past three seasons with runners in scoring position. He adds power and a great arm to the OF.

All three are available, it really just depends how much we want to spend in $$ and players.

Dellucci is inexpensive, would set up a platoon in LF between he and Conine and also give us someone to play CF and give Pierre a rest once in a while (assuming Nunez would be gone).

Bautista has a .295 average the past three seasons with runners in scoring position. He adds power and a great arm to the OF.

All three are available, it really just depends how much we want to spend in $$ and players.

I suggested Finley a couple weeks ago and was yelled at by the majority of the board. :thumbup

I suggested Finley a couple weeks ago and was yelled at by the majority of the board. :thumbup I learned from your mistake. I sandwiched him in between Bautista and Dellucci :thumbup

When was Finley suggested? Because I think that is a very good idea. We may not have to give up much for him. I wonder, what is his contract status - is this his final year? Because that would be a better option than Beltran, in my opinion. But you also risk having 2 older OFers out there. Finley has got some game left in him (and so does Conine).

Finley would be perfect. You play Finley against Righties and Conine against lefties. Finley is hitting over .330 with an OBP of about .400. Conine is hitting .400 against lefties with an OBP over .500. and Finley is terrible against lefties as Conine has been against righties.

Considering the amount of money that we would have to pay and the talent I would go with Finley. He has a lot of experience. But I think we would only put him to hit against right handers because he has been great against right handers and bad against left handers.

Philliesnutz could do whatever they want. They have the money and they are in the race. But it wont matter when they face us. Besides, Byrd hasnt been what they thought he would be and you can argue that their starters havent amounted to much either (certain individuals have struggled). Even if they get Finley, I still like our chances.

I would like Beltran here but i dont know what has been happening with the Beltran trade talks. We do need another bat in our lineup for sure. I think it will help us out tremendously if we can get a guy like Kendall or Beltran.

We don't want Beltran because he would cost too much money and we wouldnt have him for a long time.

I would like Beltran here but i dont know what has been happening with the Beltran trade talks. We do need another bat in our lineup for sure. I think it will help us out tremendously if we can get a guy like Kendall or Beltran.

We don't want Beltran because he would cost too much money and we wouldnt have him for a long time. Who says we wouldnt have him for a long time?

There are alot of articles i can post that say we are going after Beltran.

BTW, here is an article i found, it may have been posted but whatever.

Beltran would be Royal addition to any team

By BERNARD FERNANDEZ

fernanb@phillynews.com

As things now stand, Carlos Beltran figures to be only a temporary nuisance to the Phillies. The Kansas City Royals' switch-hitting centerfielder is in town for a three-game interleague series in Citizens Bank Park, after which the Phillies won't have to worry that he will contribute to losses with October implications.

Unless, of course, the emerging superstar winds up being traded to a team in the National League East. The New York Mets and, to a lesser degree, Florida Marlins have been mentioned as bidders for Beltran, who figures to be gone by the July 31 trading deadline. Beltran, 27, can become a free agent after this season, and his agent - hard-liner Scott Boras, the guy who kept J.D. Drew out of Philadelphia - has indicated his client will test the market.

Beltran is Kansas City's version of Scott Rolen, the unhappy third baseman whose departure from Philly before the 2002 trade deadline was all but guaranteed once it was established he wasn't likely to re-sign. Rolen is now putting up MVP-caliber numbers for the St. Louis Cardinals.

"If you don't trade him, you're going to lose him anyway," said Phillies reliever Roberto Hernandez, Beltran's former teammate with the Royals. "You're only going to get a draft pick. So you might as well get as much for him as you can now."

So far, Phillies management has been mum on whether the team will get involved with the Beltran sweepstakes.

The Phillies aren't likely to enter for a number of reasons: their payroll is about maxed out at $93.2 million and they don't want to give up top prospects for a 2- or 3-month rental. But Hernandez frets that Beltran's new address could be Shea Stadium or Pro Player Stadium, in which case Beltran ceases to be a momentary irritation.

The Mets play the Phillies 14 more times this season, including six after the trade deadline. The Marlins have 13 more games, including seven after the deadline.

And if either team winds up signing him to a long-term contract, he could provide a decade's worth of headaches to the Phillies.

"If he lands in this division, and he's not in our uniform, he's going to make a difference. You can believe that," Hernandez said.

"Carlos is probably the top overall player in the American League. He does it all. He hits for power, he hits for average, he can run, he plays good defense. It isn't any wonder he's on a lot of teams' wish lists. Who wouldn't want a player like that? He is someone who - with the right cast around him - can turn a season around."

Beltran, who is hitting .279 with 13 home runs for a Royals team unlikely to get back into contention, shrugged when asked whether he expects to be dealt.

"There's nothing I can do about [trade rumors]," he said. "It's not in my hands. The only thing I can control is between the lines.

"Right now, I'm playing for the Kansas City Royals. I'm going to have fun playing for this team until something happens. I'm not pushing for [a trade]. I hope we start winning games and move up in our division."

Other teams said to be interested in acquiring Beltran are the Los Angeles Dodgers, San Diego Padres, Boston Red Sox, Chicago White Sox, Oakland Athletics and, of course, New York Yankees.

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/8962312.htm?1c

I don't see us taking on $3-4 M and benching Niner.

It's more likely we add a Raul Ibanez or Michael Tucker and use them as a second super sub.

I hate Tucker...yuck.

Unfortunately, that is what we are faced with, getting a guy similar in talent to Conine to be Conine but not quite be Conine only to help Conine rest so that we can bring Conine back to be Conine and put the Conine replacement on the bench to be what Conine was when the Conine replacement got here in the first place.

:blink:

I don't see us taking on $3-4 M and benching Niner.

It's more likely we add a Raul Ibanez or Michael Tucker and use them as a second super sub.

I hate Tucker...yuck.

Unfortunately, that is what we are faced with, getting a guy similar in talent to Conine to be Conine but not quite be Conine only to help Conine rest so that we can bring Conine back to be Conine and put the Conine replacement on the bench to be what Conine was when the Conine replacement got here in the first place.

:blink: Damn. I'm Goooooooddd.... :shifty