Carlos Beltran rumors

Ramp

I know this is going to become like Vlad Watch 03-04 but I thought Id start a thread like this

Florida is another possibility. The Marlins have had preliminary contact with the Royals. They envision Juan Pierre moving to left field to accommodate Beltran, which would allow the battered Jeff Conine to give Hee Seop Choi some rest against left-handers.

that is from chicagosports.com and it the only blurb about us but I guess its better than nothing...

JP in left? Is that practical? How strong is Beltran defensively compared to JP?

I 'll assume his arm is far better. In this dream scenario - would we be better off leaving JP in CF, switching Cabs back to left and putting Beltran in right?

:mischief2

Guest Guest

But at the same time, Beltran to the Fish is a possibility, especially since I don't think Boston will be interested and the Yanks don't have enough in the farm to trade for him.

Didn't you say last night in the chat "Beltran in teal = not happening"?

Beltran is a freakin stud in CF, and he has a pretty darn good arm

edit: here is his scouting report fielding wise

Beltran reads flyballs well and glides easily across the outfield to haul them in. Beltran has an average arm, although he throws accurately and excels at throwing home to prevent runs.

JP in left? Is that practical? How strong is Beltran defensively compared to JP?

I 'll assume his arm is far better. In this dream scenario - would we be better off leaving JP in CF, switching Cabs back to left and putting Beltran in right?

:mischief2

That's what I would do.

Although I don't think we should even be going after Beltran.

But at the same time, Beltran to the Fish is a possibility, especially since I don't think Boston will be interested and the Yanks don't have enough in the farm to trade for him.

Didn't you say last night in the chat "Beltran in teal = not happening"? Yeah I did, and I still don't think that in the end, the Marlins will be able to get him.

I'm just saying it's at least possible, but I think it's unlikely he ends up with the Fish.

Beltran reads flyballs well and glides easily across the outfield to haul them in. Beltran has an average arm, although he throws accurately and excels at throwing home to prevent runs.

Beltran is as good as it gets defensively in CF, but I really don't like the idea of Pierre playing LF at all.

Is there any chance of signing him to a three year deal?

Beltran has said multiple times that no matter where he ends up at the end of this year, he wants to test the free agent waters (in other words, see how much the Yankees will offer him).

Where is Beltran from? Is there any chance of signing him to a three year deal? Can we use some of that "Vlad" money? Please tell me Boras is not his agent...

:headscratch

more like 5-6 year deal if we were able to resign him

Beltran is as good as it gets defensively in CF, but I really don't like the idea of Pierre playing LF at all. me neither. There is a lot more ground to cover in RF, so it would make sense to put Beltran out there. We already know how well Pierre covers CF so I say leave him out there. We'd be wasting his speed in left.

Beltran is as good as it gets defensively in CF, but I really don't like the idea of Pierre playing LF at all. me neither. There is a lot more ground to cover in RF, so it would make sense to put Beltran out there. We already know how well Pierre covers CF so I say leave him out there. We'd be wasting his speed in left. Exactly.

If the Marlins were to somehow get Beltran, i'd like to see this OF:

LF: Cabrera (much less ground to cover out there, maybe he will be better)

CF: Pierre (where he can use his speed)

RF: Beltran (great option there with his speed and arm)

Actually, now that I think about it, even though Beltran doesn't have a great arm, he'd have the best arm in that OF, so go figure.

If we do trade for Beltran I don't want to resign him.

I am guessing Boras ends up selling Beltran to the Yanks in the offseason anyways, so I doubt he will be re-signed by whoever trades for him.

With that said, I hope the Marlins don't trade for Beltran, I am not a fan of "sell the farm for a rent-a-player" at all.

If we trade for Beltran - we MUST resign him. Why deplete our already depleted minor leagues for a rental player?

Beltran would be one of the cornerstone of our franchise as we move into our new ballpark.

:notworthy

I am guessing Boras ends up selling Beltran to the Yanks in the offseason anyways, so I doubt he will be re-signed by whoever trades for him.

With that said, I hope the Marlins don't trade for Beltran, I am not a fan of "sell the farm for a rent-a-player" at all. Same here.

If we trade for Beltran - we MUST resign him. Why deplete our already depleted minor leagues for a rental player?

Beltran would be one of the cornerstone of our franchise as we move into our new ballpark.

:notworthy I'd rather keep our pitching staff together.

I don't care how many times this rumor recirculates and how many times it morphs into a makebelieve news story the fact is I can't imagine JP playing left with his weak arm. If Beltran winds up here he'll probably play right, Cabs will move back to left and JP will stay where he is.

:notworthy You just made my point for me why they won't trade for Beltran IMO.

I would love to see him on the Fish, but trading for him is basically trading for a rent a player, since I see no way possible that the Marlins can re-sign Beltran before he hits the free agent waters after this season.

And there is no way the marlins are going to trade what's left in the farm system for a guy they can have for a few months.

Guest Guest

The rent a player idea is hard to deal with but if it results in a repeat championship... it would be worth it IMO anyway. Of course there is no way to know it'll work.