South Florida Sports Radio...

Malman

Now that South Florida has three sports radio stations (WQAM, 940Fox and 1400The Fan) I was curious to see which programs and which hosts everyone likes and dislikes.

For me - with the morning's are a complete waste - I can't take Howard David (QAM) Dan Sileo (940) or the Morning Bullpen on 1400.

On the drive home - the choices are not much better - Goldberg (QAM), Stugots & Toast (940) and Dino Costa (1400) are the options. I've been listening to Costa recently - he is nothing special but I find him more entertaining than the other two options.

One program I kind of enjoy is Talkin' Baseball on 1400. The show is on around lunch time, but is moving to evenings 6-8. The hosts are fairly objective, have quality guests and have a no-nonsense look at a variety of baseball related topics.

Any others comments or suggestions?

:mischief2

Guest Juanky

They all suck man, honestly. I hate almost all of them. None of them know anything baseball for real.

I wish I could get a radio show, it would be cool. But who is going to give a soon to be 18 year old conservative Marlins fan a radio show? No one.

They all suck man, honestly. I hate almost all of them. None of them know anything baseball for real.

I wish I could get a radio show, it would be cool. But who is going to give a soon to be 18 year old conservative Marlins fan a radio show? No one.

Talk to Admin - I hear he is a "big timer" now. I'm sure he can pull some strings with his buddies at Fox Sports Net.

:thumbup

I'm partial to Ed Kaplan on WQAM 560 at night. He's very knowlegeable, not a real rah-rah type guy, nor is he your typical jock host.

Gets into a lot of other sports, but will talk baseball any time if you have a good point & aren't just calling to say "don't you think the marlins are playing great right now?"

I'm partial to Ed Kaplan on WQAM 560 at night. He's very knowlegeable, not a real rah-rah type guy, nor is he your typical jock host.

Gets into a lot of other sports, but will talk baseball any time if you have a good point & aren't just calling to say "don't you think the marlins are playing great right now?"

Ed Kaplan is very knowledgable and I like Big O. Both are very opinionated and overall nice guys. Both aren't detractors of the Marlins like Hank Goldberg.

I remember one time on the Ed Kaplan show a few months back as a guy called in and said he hated the Marlins for no other reason then they ruined the world series matchup between the Sox and Cubs. And he goes on about this but he keeps getting stupider with each comment and then Ed Kaplan yells at the guy and hangs him up. It was preatty damn funny.

I get my sports news from 610 WIOD/940 WRFX/560 WQAM when I am in Miami. I don't really listen to Sportstalk, I like play-by-play and sports scores and headlines better.

Here in Fort Myers we have only 1 option and that is 770 WWCN which is ESPN Radio with some nice local shows and WQAM play-by-play repeated here most of the time.

Juanky,

Air Talent - part time and full time

DEPARTMENT: Programming

JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:

On-air position. Execute the format as designed by management, maintain logs, perform promotional appearances, be motivated and impressive.

EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: Broadcast experience helpful.

CANDIDATES WHO MEET THE ABOVE REQUIREMENTS SHOULD SEND TAPE & RESUME TO:

Cheryl Fryer 7601 Riviera Blvd. Miramar, FL 33023

No Phone Calls Please.

They are looking, so send your tape and resume to the above person along with your idea.

The station with the best operation in terms of quality of presentation and amount of information per commercial is 940.

They also have two of the best radio sportscasters in Florida. Dave LaMont and Jason Solodkin have been with WINZ/WIOD/WRFX for as long as I can remember and they make the WIOD/HEat and WRFX broadcasts go smoothly. Sedano is the best sports talker in the local market from what I have heard. Hank is boring, 1400 The Fan got frank Forte and he is a great guy who knows alot about sports including baseball.

Guest Juanky

Juanky,

Air Talent - part time and full time

DEPARTMENT: Programming

JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:

On-air position. Execute the format as designed by management, maintain logs, perform promotional appearances, be motivated and impressive.

EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: Broadcast experience helpful.

CANDIDATES WHO MEET THE ABOVE REQUIREMENTS SHOULD SEND TAPE & RESUME TO:

Cheryl Fryer 7601 Riviera Blvd. Miramar, FL 33023

No Phone Calls Please.

They are looking, so send your tape and resume to the above person along with your idea. Thanks.

Wish it was closer to where I live but no complaints. Let me look into it.

Sports radio in SoFla is absolutely horrible, and QAM is the worst.

I can't figure out who I hate more there.. Whether it's listening to Goldberg get cranky b/c he hasn't had his Geritol, Mandich breaking down the fight for 3rd string FS for the Dolphins in April, or Big O saying things that make absolutely no sense.

The big O needs to go away.

Bruno and Rome are decent only b/c of a lack of anyhting better to listen to, but just like the FM market, the AM market in Miami sucks like a Hoover.

They also have two of the best radio sportscasters in Florida. Dave LaMont and Jason Solodkin have been with WINZ/WIOD/WRFX for as long as I can remember and they make the WIOD/HEat and WRFX broadcasts go smoothly. Sedano is the best sports talker in the local market from what I have heard. Hank is boring, 1400 The Fan got frank Forte and he is a great guy who knows alot about sports including baseball.

Lamont and Solodkin are merely announcers - sure they do a decent job, but the format is completely different - no callers, opinions, etc.

As for Sedano being the best - I think you need to listen to some of the guys on 1400. Can you pick up their signal?

I think the opinion on Fat Hank is shared by all - how does he generate any ratings? Why would anyone listen to him? What a piece of garbage.

:hat

Ed Kaplan is very knowledgable and I like Big O. Both are very opinionated and overall nice guys. Both aren't detractors of the Marlins like Hank Goldberg.

I agree about Ed, but "Big O" was about as anti-Marlins as you can get, before it was time for the bandwagon that is.

i'll never ever forget on Marlins fan-fest (or whatever it's called) before the 2003 season started, Big O and Josh Friedman were broadcasting their show from Pro Player where FanFest was taking place...

and Alzeguery was absolutely TRASHING the Marlins new ownership. At the team's own FANFEST! One of the most shameful things I ever heard.

He hopped on the wagon, but only after they went out & grabbed Urbina, Conine, etc.

O, Goldberg, Mandich, and most of the WQAM sports frat never gave this group a chance. Since day 1 it was negative, negative, negative.

Listening to the big nO is like sitting around at a party while the one really drunk obnoxious guy spouts opinions that are so far out of left field that they aren't even worth a rebuttal.

It really seems like amatuer hour when he's on. I firmly beleive that 50 to 60 percent of the people on these boards have a more comprehensive grasp of sports than he does.

I also like the fact that other hosts on QAM regularly blast the Big nO when they hear something he said that is completely garbage. For example:

Mandich: Driving in today I heard the Big nO say that the Dolphins are going to relocate to Taiwan. Needless to say, the Big nO is a little light in hte loafers, so to speak.

I agree about Ed, but "Big O" was about as anti-Marlins as you can get, before it was time for the bandwagon that is.

i'll never ever forget on Marlins fan-fest (or whatever it's called) before the 2003 season started, Big O and Josh Friedman were broadcasting their show from Pro Player where FanFest was taking place...

and Alzeguery was absolutely TRASHING the Marlins new ownership. At the team's own FANFEST! One of the most shameful things I ever heard.

He hopped on the wagon, but only after they went out & grabbed Urbina, Conine, etc.

O, Goldberg, Mandich, and most of the WQAM sports frat never gave this group a chance. Since day 1 it was negative, negative, negative. Yeah true but I still like Big O for his opinions on everything.

For me, I don't listen to sportstalk in the A.M. on the way to work (I might turn to 940 at 7:30 just to get a sports update, but otherwise I'll stick with Love 94).

If Neil's not on, sometimes I'll put on Rome when I'm off of work.

I listen to Stugotz and Toast, and Sedano on the way home (don't care to listen to Hank at all). Sometimes at night I'll put on JT the Brick for some national perspectives (gotta love Sugar White Mike's calls).

BTW, Solodkin is leaving 940; today (Friday) is his last day at the station. I'n not sure if he'll still be doing the Heat broadcasts on WIOD, though.

Guest Juanky

For me, I don't listen to sportstalk in the A.M. on the way to work (I might turn to 940 at 7:30 just to get a sports update, but otherwise I'll stick with Love 94).

If Neil's not on, sometimes I'll put on Rome when I'm off of work.

I listen to Stugotz and Toast, and Sedano on the way home (don't care to listen to Hank at all). Sometimes at night I'll put on JT the Brick for some national perspectives (gotta love Sugar White Mike's calls).

BTW, Solodkin is leaving 940; today (Friday) is his last day at the station. I'n not sure if he'll still be doing the Heat broadcasts on WIOD, though.

Love 94 = Awesomeness