Reading

Rune

How often do you read and what do you like to read.

I really think that lack of reading in this country is a big problem because it's one of the few reliable ways to learn or pick up on things without having to go on someone else's pace.

I read about one to two books a week, if it's a really great week three and it's usually current events/satire or historical although I do read sports and some novels.

Right now I'm reading two books by James Carville "Stickin" about keeping loyalty through rough times. Mainly about him not backing away from Clinton who had done so much from him at a time where Clinton's problems could have brought a lot of men down and also "Had Enough" which is basically an amazing handbook on how liberals should be taking the fight and how we should act along with his beefs and solutions to Bush policy's.

Guest Juanky

Actually, America is one of the countries that reads the most if I'm not mistaken. Thing is it isn't book, it's magazines and such.

I read a book or two a week if I can, and I read a bunch of different magazines. I spend my time on the internet reading articles and such. Mostly having to do with Social Sciences (anywhere from history to government to psychology), but I will pick up any other stuff it looks like something I would like to know. I love reading about space and stuff like that.

Book wise I bounce around to an extent. Right now I picked up a few books in San Fran: The Republic, a couple other dialogues combined together written by Plato, an analysis of the Athenian Constitution, the Maxims of Napolean, and a book about Islam. Religions fascinate me.

The problem with reading is that the more of it you do, the more disillusioned you become with other, less cerebral forms of entertainment within society.

Anyway....

I try to read at least two a week. My big genre is non-fiction, WWII, The Law and the Presidency in particular.

Right now I'm about 500 pages into Chernow's bio on Hamilton. I'm also muddling through Clinton's book too, although I'm only about 150 pages into it.

As for periodicals: Subscibe to the NY'er, Time, Newsweek, Men's Health and of course...Maxim.

Now that I sit to write all this out, it looks like I read alot, but it doesn't seem like it to me. I still have time to be a waste of skin and sit on the couch watching deportes on the idiot box.

Oh well.... All is well I guess.

I read mostly sports stuff - sports page, magazines, books.

same here.

I read SLAM every month and I love books on players because you get to see a side of them different from on the court/field, whatever.

I'm about to start this Kobe book, looks deep.

same here.

I read SLAM every month and I love books on players because you get to see a side of them different from on the court/field, whatever.

I'm about to start this Kobe book, looks deep. I subscribe to SLAM for the kicks. :lol

same here.

I'm about to start this Kobe book, looks deep. I subscribe to SLAM for the kicks. :lol

I read SI, ESPN the Mag, Baseball America, and Newsweek.

As for books I don't read enough but when I do I prefer non-fiction especially sports related.

Right now I am reading Brave New World for my required summer reading. I also have to read Othello and A Tale of Two Cities.

I love to read (future English Lit. teacher here). Pretty soon, I am going to start reading 1984.

1984 scared the bejesus out of me and made me want to die for a month. But it's an awesome book.

Back on topic, I read 3 books a month, being as I work in a bookstore, I try to mostly read the "pop fiction" to better my knowledge of campus bestsellers and what to recommend.

I'm currently reading the new David Sedaris book. "Dress your family in corduroy and denim"

It's pretty funny.

I read ridiculous amounts here in Penn, so I try to read things that I actually want to read in the summer time. I love agatha christie books, history/politics books. I'm currently reading a book on Soviet/Cuban relations. I'm thinking of reading the Da Vinci Code, b/c they told me a book retaliating all of Da Vinci Code's arguments came out, so I want to read both.

Guest Juanky

I read ridiculous amounts here in Penn, so I try to read things that I actually want to read in the summer time. I love agatha christie books, history/politics books. I'm currently reading a book on Soviet/Cuban relations. I'm thinking of reading the Da Vinci Code, b/c they told me a book retaliating all of Da Vinci Code's arguments came out, so I want to read both.

Many books destorying the Da Vinci code have come out

Honestly the Da Vinci code is good entertainment, but it uses facts to make random claims ignoring the truth of the what really happened at the time. I've read alot about the ancient Catholic church, and while the examples he cites actually happened they happen for completely different reasons.

Angels and Demons, on the other hand, is a great book and actually gets the Illuminati stuff right for the most part.