Mets vs. Marlins (Fri. 7/9/04 - 7:35 PM EDT)

-- vs. --

Seo 4-5, 4.79 -------- vs. -------- Burnett 1-3, 4.74

Marlins hosting Mets for three

07/08/2004  1:09 AM ETBy Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

All things considered, the Marlins could be in a much worse situation.

They've dropped 13 of their last 19 games and are just over .500 after being as many as 10 games over (30-20 on May 30).

And yet, they are within striking distance in the jam-packed National League East as they open a crucial three-game series with the Mets on Friday.

A.J. Burnett, who is coming off an impressive win, takes the mound against Jae Seo, who has traditionally pitched well against the Marlins.

In his last start, Burnett collected his first victory since Aug. 18, 2002. The hard-throwing right-hander has successfully battled back from Tommy John surgery.

Burnett, making his eighth start of the season, has never beaten the Mets, the team that drafted him.

Pitching matchup

NYM: RHP Jae Seo

4-5, 4.79 ERA in 2004

1-0, 2.25 ERA vs. FLA in 2004

3-1, 1.52 ERA lifetime vs. FLA

FLA: RHP A.J. Burnett

1-3, 4.74 ERA in 2004

0-1, 4.50 ERA vs. NYM in 2004

0-5, 4.12 ERA lifetime vs. NYM

Players to watch

Josh Willingham, brought up from Double-A on Tuesday, collected his first Major League hit with a single to center in the sixth inning on Wednesday. The 25-year-old, who can play left field, first base and catcher, went 2-for-2 in his second game. ... Luis Castillo was 3-for-5 Wednesday after a 2-for-15 skid over his previous four games.

Quotable

"I think we're the luckiest team in the league. I don't think we've played well at all, especially over the last month. We're still two games out. We could easily get hot and get back to first place and extend a lead. I think it's very possible. We have to play better.? If you played like this in the American League East, you could be 17 games out." -- Mike Lowell on the Marlins being in contention.

On the Internet

MLB.TV

Gameday Audio

Gameday

Official game notes

On television

FLA: FSN

NYM: FSNY

On radio

FLA: 560 WQAM, 1140 AM WQBA (Español)

NYM: WFAN 660 AM, WADO 1280 AM (Español)

Quick hits

Juan Pierre is 0-for-13 lifetime vs. Seo, while Castillo is 2-for-11 (.182). ... Pierre leads the league in innings played, logging all 762 this season. ... Reliever Nate Bump has not allowed a run in his last seven innings over his last six appearances. ... The Marlins last won back-to-back games on June 22-23 against the Braves. ... Florida is 2-4 on the current homestand. ... Hee Seop Choi was a high school teammate of Seo in South Korea. Choi is 2-for-5 with a double off Seo.

On deck

Friday: Mets at Marlins, 7:35 p.m. ET

Saturday: Mets at Marlins, 6:05 p.m. ET

Sunday: Mets at Marlins, 3:05 p.m. ET

Monday: All-Star Break This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Hey! You restole Ramp's job.

446563[/snapback]

Ramp resigned and no replacement has been found. It is a free-for-all.

446626[/snapback]

I blame every loss on you. :thumbup

446697[/snapback]

We were losing before you left, so don't blame it on me Ramp.

He's been a "star in the making" for what, 6 years now? Looks to me like he's more of an "injury prone, overrated, middle of the road starter" in the making. Seo may not have a 95+ MPH fastball or a knuckle-curve, but on occasion he can shut a team down and gives his team a decent chance to win most of the time out. that's all you can expect from your 5th starter.

446563[/snapback]

446626[/snapback]

446697[/snapback]

446709[/snapback]

Cape's Game Thread Record: 1-4

:plain

Support Your Fish Guys!

I was just listening on the radio to Big O and some fans called saying how they cant wait for football season and if the marlins are falling behind that they clear out the infield so "Olindo can make his field goals"

f*** them.Lets show The Marlins that they are our favorite sports team in south florida

Also we need to protect this house, This series is vital, we are a better team than the mets, we know what it takes to win. Try to at least go to one game guys

Support Your Fish Guys!

I was just listening on the radio to Big O and some fans called saying how they cant wait for football season and if the marlins are falling behind that they clear out the infield so "Olindo can make his field goals"

f*** them.Lets show The Marlins that they are our favorite sports team in south florida

Also we need to protect this house, This series is vital, we are a better team than the mets, we know what it takes to win. Try to at least go to one game guys

447783[/snapback]

I'll gladly go to one game if you can tell me where I can find cheap seats and free/cheap parking =]

Support Your Fish Guys!

447783[/snapback]

I'll gladly go to one game if you can tell me where I can find cheap seats and free/cheap parking =]

447842[/snapback]

Buy tix at the fish tank before the game and park at Golden Glades school and take the shuttle (see threads on those topics).

I'm going tonight for sure. And we all know that when I'm there, we win. W tonight. Hopefully Krispy Kreme too.

446563[/snapback]

446626[/snapback]

446697[/snapback]

446709[/snapback]

Cape's Game Thread Record: 1-4

:plain

447760[/snapback]

DAMN.