Marlins Staying in South Florida

DaGreatOne

Move Marlins? Selig dismisses the possibility

By Mike Berardino

Staff writer

Posted July 14 2004

HOUSTON ? With a half dozen cities lining up to provide a permanent home for the vagabond Montreal Expos, Major League Baseball suddenly has a working list for possible franchise relocation.

However, Commissioner Bud Selig downplayed that possibility Tuesday, at least as it relates to clubs beyond the Expos and particularly the Marlins.

"Nobody's asked [about relocation]," Selig told a meeting of the Baseball Writers Association of America. "Nobody's even hinted at that."

It was suggested by an out-of-state reporter that the Marlins could be a potential relocation candidate, especially with their ballpark project in limbo.

"Obviously, Florida has an intense desire to stay there," Selig said. "South Florida, in the right circumstances, is a great market. I haven't talked to [Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria] lately. They're still optimistic, but they've got work to do."

Selig also said he had no idea when a ruling might come down in the arbitration hearing between Loria and his limited partners. Nor, Selig said, is he worried the delay in the hearing -- which began in May -- could hamper either the Expos' sale or the Marlins' ballpark push.

"That's an internal ruling between Jeff and the partners," Selig said. "I'm not concerned about that."

According to Selig, contraction is "off the table," even after 2006, when the current labor agreement allows the elimination of two or more teams. The Expos and Minnesota Twins had been named as contraction targets in November 2001 but the idea was tabled when the union and local governments objected.

"The Minnesota club is still trying very hard to get a stadium built," Selig said. "And Florida, I must say in Jeff Loria's and [Marlins President] David Samson's case, they're trying everything."

At least its nice to see their not even thinking about relocating the Marlins.

Well, what do you expect them to say, "yeah I think we may have to move the Marlins after we move the Expos." Obviously not. THis means nothing at all in that kind of terms. I have confidence that the team won't be move, but he isn't going to come out and say they have had discussions about it internally.

My question is move where? The Expos, if they move, will move to DC. Portland, Charlotte, Orlando, and Memphis/Nashville will have to wait a decade or so for the next expansion. I expect Portland and Charlotte to get the 2 AL teams, and Orlando and Memphis/Nashville to join the National League.

My question is move where? The Expos, if they move, will move to DC. Portland, Charlotte, Orlando, and Memphis/Nashville will have to wait a decade or so for the next expansion. I expect Portland and Charlotte to get the 2 AL teams, and Orlando and Memphis/Nashville to join the National League.

458249[/snapback]

where do you get this stuff from?

orlando isnt in the running for an "expansion" team. there's a zero percent chance of them getting a franchise. there isnt a 1% chance of orlando getting one, there isnt even a 0.1% chance of them getting one.

and charlotte? memphis?

did you pull those names out of a hat?

places like northern virginia, norfolk, and las vegas are vying for the spos, in addition to DC and portland.

god, this is like the iraqi information minister all over again.

458249[/snapback]

orlando isnt in the running for an "expansion" team. there's a zero percent chance of them getting a franchise. there isnt a 1% chance of orlando getting one, there isnt even a 0.1% chance of them getting one.

and charlotte? memphis?

places like northern virginia, norfolk, and las vegas are vying for the spos, in addition to DC and portland.

458696[/snapback]

HAHAHAHAHA. :notworthy Complete and total pwnage.

Orlando.. please..why the hell would they put a third team in this state? Because the other two are packin em in?

458249[/snapback]

and charlotte? memphis?

458696[/snapback]

:lol

Gold

WTF you smoking Capefish??

Pass that s*** down and let everyone take a nice puff so we can at least make sense of the crap your talking.

I am not talking crap. Charlotte and Portland were scheduled to get AL expansion teams in 2002, but the contraction issue halted that. I am so tired of you guys being uninformed.

In 2006 there was to be another NL expansion adding Orlando and Washington, but with the Expos moving, Memphis or Nashville which was in line for an expansion team next moved up one slot.

In 1990, the Charlotte Knights owner, his name is Beaver I believe, built Knights Stadium in South Carolina in order to have a ballpark immediately ready in case the Twins, Expos, or Astros moved to Charlotte or MLB gave him an expansion team. Now that baseball has delayed expansion, the Knights are looking to build a permanent ballpark in Charlotte near Bank of America Stadium (home of the Carolina Panthers) in Charlotte.

I am not talking crap. Charlotte and Portland were scheduled to get AL expansion teams in 2002, but the contraction issue halted that. I am so tired of you guys being uninformed.

In 2006 there was to be another NL expansion adding Orlando and Washington, but with the Expos moving, Memphis or Nashville which was in line for an expansion team next moved up one slot.

458940[/snapback]

In 1990, the Charlotte Knights owner, his name is Beaver I believe, built Knights Stadium in South Carolina in order to have a ballpark immediately ready in case the Twins, Expos, or Astros moved to Charlotte or MLB gave him an expansion team. Now that baseball has delayed expansion, the Knights are looking to build a permanent ballpark in Charlotte near Bank of America Stadium (home of the Carolina Panthers) in Charlotte.

458945[/snapback]

i dont want to sound like a broken record by saying you have yet again fabricated some facts, but i'd really like to see a link (with quotes that actually state this stuff--not an a la carte of informative, lengthy web pages) before i believe that.

i distinctly remember you saying in your previous thread that smacked of WTF that orlando was slated for a possible expansion team back when there wasn't even a baseball team in florida.

i can tell you with complete, total confidence that the possibility of an expansion team in orlando (let alone an expansion team period) is zero, simply because of the other team down the road on i-4.

we have them surrounded in their tanks!

Here is the last thing I have found on Charlotte.

http://www.geocities.com/paulsminorleagueparks/Fort_Mill.htm

This died when they announced the Expos would move. Charlotte's owner wants an expansion team now.

Orlando has the evidence in the form of Cracker Jack Stadium. It was even talked about by Thorne and Brantley during the ESPN telecast.

This all was well known that in the 80's and 90's MLB wanted to have big expansions and planned for it.

Buffalo was also in it, but the economic struggles of the 90's there killed that chance. Their minor league park is also ready for MLB expansion.