stupid Beckett here-say

g8trz2003

Will Josh Beckett's blisters heal? The Marlins' ace has been hampered by a skin problem on his pitching hand, and Florida cannot defend its title unless Beckett can play some sort of significant role -- whether as a starting pitcher, or perhaps even a dominant set-up man for closer Armando Benitez (which would reduce the chances of a regular blister blowout).

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...ster&id=1839966

:banghead

The switch was a great thing for Smoltz and the Braves, and it could be a great thing for JB and the Marlins. But only if two conditions are met (1) IF Bump can handle the 5th spot in the rotation and (2) IF it is necessary for Beckett to stay healthy, I would be in favor of the move. If we give up every 5th game, it?s a disaster. If we unnecessarily relegate Beckett to the pen, it?s a waste. Of course, if Beckett can handle starting in the rotation (which he hasn't, yet), I would rather have him start and leave Bump in the pen.

Smoltz had several serious injuries that caused the braves to put him in a closers role b/c they felt he would be more useful there as opposed to risking him getting injured as a starter. Beckett is way too useful as a starter and is too young to be thrown into setup role b/c of blisters. I read nolan ryan had blister problems early in his career and lookhow he turned out. We need to weigh our options and see what needs to be done

i'd rather have him in the BP setting up benitez!

this way his hand will be healthy enough to pitch, and it'll continue to get healthy as long as he's not pitching 7 innings a night.

and this way we stay in contension, and dont freaking LOSE because of the bullpen all the freaking time.

Guest Moneyball

beckett's problem will go away. this idea of him as a set-up guy is stupid. we already have two inconsistent starters, we don't need a third. you could also wear out the pen if you have 3 inconsistent starters going 5 innings everytime. i rather have 3 pitchers that go 7 innings most of the time.

7 good innings every 5th day, or one good inning every other day, it's a no brainer, he HAS to start...not to mention as a set up man, he's only useful when we have a lead.

It's not as if he's got an issue with his elbow, his shoulder, or his back. IT'S HIS FREAKIN' FINGER!!!!!!!!

Let him get healthy, do the minor league swing to toughen his finger up gradually, and get him ready for August...

beckett's problem will go away. this idea of him as a set-up guy is stupid. we already have two inconsistent starters, we don't need a third. you could also wear out the pen if you have 3 inconsistent starters going 5 innings everytime. i rather have 3 pitchers that go 7 innings most of the time.

460505[/snapback]

I couldnt agree with you any better......Bump will never be a consistent starter for the fish. Id rather Beckett heal and start in the rotation then having him be in the bullpen.

Bump will never be a consistent starter for the fish.

why not?

460645[/snapback]

IMO I dont think he would. He is in AAA but most of the time he's pitched for us he's gotten racked. I really don't like him, and wouldn't want him to pitch for us. That's why in another thread I think the question was who will fill in the #5 spot in the rotation Bump, Wayne, or Oliver....and I chose Wayne because all the times I've seen him pitch he's done a great job.

Will Josh Beckett's blisters heal? The Marlins' ace has been hampered by a skin problem on his pitching hand, and Florida cannot defend its title unless Beckett can play some sort of significant role -- whether as a starting pitcher, or perhaps even a dominant set-up man for closer Armando Benitez (which would reduce the chances of a regular blister blowout).

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...ster&id=1839966

:banghead

460376[/snapback]

that idea has been floated a bunch of times on QAM... i dunno, the thinking is to put him in the pen and make him work his way back into starting form.

it might even make sense if we had someone decent to put in the rotation in place of him (we don't.). it seems like lately, the replacement starts have been auto-losses for us.

why not?

460645[/snapback]

IMO I dont think he would. He is in AAA but most of the time he's pitched for us he's gotten racked. I really don't like him, and wouldn't want him to pitch for us. That's why in another thread I think the question was who will fill in the #5 spot in the rotation Bump, Wayne, or Oliver....and I chose Wayne because all the times I've seen him pitch he's done a great job.

460660[/snapback]

Bump is back in the majors and you obviously didnt watch Justin Wayne start last year

As much as it would be nice to have Beckett in the bullpen I just think he is too good of a pitcher not to have him start at this point in his career. Maybe they could do this for a few weeks and build the strength in the skin tobe able to handle pitching. Then set him loose as a starter in late August again allowing him to be fresh for the late run and also contribute to the team over the next month.

The flaw in the argument is, of course, that it isnt about Beckett's pitch count or work load. It is about his blister - which apparently could form on 10 pitches or 1,000. Remember, the blister cropped up right after he came back from the DL this time. Putting him in the bullpen doesnt help his blister at all.

And if that is the case, and I believe it is, then why risk forming a blister in the bullpen when he has more value as a starter? We can wait - remember, we won the whole thing last year WITHOUT Burnett. In the meantime, Bump is my pick to start and let Beckett heal for the playoffs.

Because he's barely doing the job in relief and doesn't have starter "stuff", among other reasons

460863[/snapback]

Starter 'stuff'? What does that mean? He's better suited as a starter.

Dominating hard-throwers are best in the bullpen.

Pichers like Bump who limit their pitch count, keep the ball down and induce outs should be starters.

why not?

460645[/snapback]

460660[/snapback]

Bump is back in the majors and you obviously didnt watch Justin Wayne start last year

460724[/snapback]

Bump back in the majors doesn't mean anything at all. He's messed up a lot of games for the fish before. If im picking Wayne over Bump its because Ive seen him pitch before. Im not gonna pick someone to pitch if I dont know how they pitch and what not. The guy has better mechanics then Bump. Therefore Id rather have Wayne pitch than Bump. I just think Bump doesnt got what it takes to pitch in the ML. He belongs in the minors.