Greatest QB Ever?

Guest marlins02

Guest marlins02

Its amazing the ideas for polls you can get from other threads. well these are the choices. I picked Marino because im partial to him, great memories, great stats, i cant pick no one else but thats just me. this is one of those questions that will never be answered but we can give our opinions here. some people will look at me weird for throwing Jim Kelly but he was a great QB himself and did great things, and he also broke my heart a few times. feel free to mention someone you think i missed.

Well just because Dan never won a ring dosent mean he was not as good as Montana or whomever is on that list. Winning a superbowl is a team effort not a single man's accomplishment. The Bucs just won a SB with Johnson the Ravens did it with Dilfer. None of these two guys compare to Dan. Marino never had a good RB to help him win a ring. I know winning a SB is important but put that fact away and he was the greatest.

Well just because Dan never won a ring dosent mean he was not as good as Montana or whomever is on that list. Winning a superbowl is a team effort not a single man's accomplishment. The Bucs just won a SB with Johnson the Ravens did it with Dilfer. None of these two guys compare to Dan. Marino never had a good RB to help him win a ring. I know winning a SB is important but put that fact away and he was the greatest.

Yes it's a team effort but The QB is the one who leads that team and is the one you trust to win that game.

Look at Jay he is surrouned by possibly The Best team in The NFL but...

Why don't they win?

It's not because they don't mix it's because The Guy who leads them stinks!

Try to complain as you may but The QB is measured on his wins not his stats because those stats are empty if they don'y accomplish anything...

The ring is useless to Marino. HE wasn't meant to get it. He is a class act and the best Quarterback the NFL could have dreamed of seeing.

Jimmy Johnson needs to go down! :guillotine

We must remove incompetence from the Dolphins.

(In order to do that you must rid yourself of the owner, head coach, and the starting QB)

The solution to the Phins Problems...

Clone Marino!

:jump

Then you have the problem solved :) (I would never ever back cloning, but this is tempting)

Well Marino did win games, just not in the playoff

Well The Playoffs is The Most Important part of The Season it's what you play for...

Listen to any Championship's Promo you'll hear from The Horses mouth your nothing till you win that ring, THat's what you strive for...

I have to give it to Johnny U, He defines grit.

Joe Montana did more for his team than Marino did for his.

Montana had extreame amounts of talent to play with. Marino had virtualy nobody helping him out for four fifths of his entire career...

Marino did much more for his team. He carried that franchise on its back for 15 of his 17 years there, and w/o him they would have had 15 losing seasons.

Give Marino the team Montana had and I bet instead of 60,000 yards, you get 70K. Instead of 420 TD's, you have 475. Those 49er teams could have won just as many SB's with or without Joe Montana. And if you interchange the two, put Marino on those 49er teams and Montana on those Dolphins teams, Marino gives them 1 more SB than they actually won, and Montana doesn't give that franchise half as many winning records as Dan did when he carried them.

Originally posted by Wild Card

Montana had extreame amounts of talent to play with. Marino had virtualy nobody helping him out for four fifths of his entire career...

Marino did much more for his team. He carried that franchise on its back for 15 of his 17 years there, and w/o him they would have had 15 losing seasons.

Give Marino the team Montana had and I bet instead of 60,000 yards, you get 70K. Instead of 420 TD's, you have 475. Those 49er teams could have won just as many SB's with or without Joe Montana. And if you interchange the two, put Marino on those 49er teams and Montana on those Dolphins teams, Marino gives them 1 more SB than they actually won, and Montana doesn't give that franchise half as many winning records as Dan did when he carried them.

And how do you know that? You don't know Marino would have made them better, nor do I know Favre would have made them better.

This poll is just bull,

Stop giving me that crap about how it's about The Players around them, because you all damn no well that Jay has an amazing team around him but why is he not winning? Because he is not a winner.

Stats are nice but what do they mean without wins?

Elway vs. Marino

Wasn't this decided in a late December game in 1998 when Elway tore apart Miami's top rated defense and made Marino look so bad, he was benched early in the 3rd Quarter? :mischief2

All joking aside, that class of 1983 was insane. Who knows how good Jungle Jim Kelly would have been had he played on some better teams or had he not chosen a path with the USFL??

Back to Marino vs. Elway.

Marino joined a team 1 year removed from a Super Bowl Birth.

Elway joined a team with a history of futility - coming off of a 2-7 season.

Marino was throwing to Pro Bowlers Mark Clayton, Mark Duper ["the Dynamic Duo"], and Nat Moore plus had Joe Rose as his go-to guy in 84 playing te. Later, he had Pro Bowlers Keith Byars, Irving Fryar, Keith Jackson, and Ferrell Edmunds...

Elway [after sitting the bench for 5 games THEN splitting time with a HORRIBLE Steve DeBerg] was throwing to guys named Rick Upchurch, Steve Watson, and Clint Sampson plus had Sammy Winder in the backfield [who ran for over 800 yards ONCE in his career] and STILL got his team into the playoffs his first year.

I'm sorry, but if you are going to try to convince me that Elway and Marino had equal footing and comparable tools to work with, you are fooling yourself. Marino was surrounded by Pro Bowl caliber players throughout his entire illustrious career. Elway didn't enjoy that luxury until the last couple of years of his career - and he has the ring to prove what he could have been doing all along. You can't on the one hand say that this is a TEAM sport then point at individual accomplishments and say look at what HE did. You are a product of your team and have to produce with the talent you have. If you produce at a comparable level with inferior product surrounding you? You have, in my eyes, surpassed your competition.

Big picture - Elway was better.

Guest marlins02

This poll is just bull,

Stop giving me that crap about how it's about The Players around them, because you all damn no well that Jay has an amazing team around him but why is he not winning? Because he is not a winner.

this is one of those questions nobody will ever agree on the answer. you can make arguments for all these guys, they were all great. Like i said earlier, i chose Marino because he was my favorite but really you cant go wrong with any of these guys, they're all Hall of Famers or future Hall of Famers and somebody will always have an argument for why his guy was better than yours.

the poll aint fixed, i cant control who will vote for who, the area its in will choose Marino most of the time, that dont mean its fixed.

This poll is just bull,

this is one of those questions nobody will ever agree on the answer. you can make arguments for all these guys, they were all great. Like i said earlier, i chose Marino because he was my favorite but really you cant go wrong with any of these guys, they're all Hall of Famers or future Hall of Famers and somebody will always have an argument for why his guy was better than yours.

the poll aint fixed, i cant control who will vote for who, the area its in will choose Marino most of the time, that dont mean its fixed. I never said it was fixed but who are Miami Fans going to vote for...

Like I said Stats are nothing without wins.

This poll is just bull,

Are you talking about Jay Fiedler?

Because to my knowledge, Jay Fiedler has the best winning percentage of any quarterback in the NFL over the past three seasons (or his entire career as a starter).

You're right, Fiedler does have amazing talent surrounding him. Last year, when he started, Miami was a great team. If there is only one word to describe Jay it would have to be "winner". Over the past few years, Fiedler really didn't jave much talent around him on the offensive side of the ball. Last year he finally got Ricky, and when they were together they did show how good they were. This year, Fielder is going to have amazing talent on his offense. Griese behind him, three recievers capable of 1,000 yards, a running back who owns the rushing title. An improved offensive line that surpassed all expectations in 2002. And, obviously everyone knows the talent they posses on defense, and everyone should know that even that will significantly improve from what it was last year, because of the additions they have made.

Jay Fiedler isn't a very impressive QB, but the thing he does best is win. Let's all keep in mind, the past few Super Bowl QB's:

Dilfer, Brady, and Johnson. Are those top 10 NFL QB's? No. Did they all have very impressive defenses? Yes. If that trend continues through to this year, Miami should be the leading contender to follow suit...

Wild Card thats impossible! Because no team has more wins over the past 3 years then Green Bay! Go see for yourself! Thats crap! Favre is!hahahahaha Don't even try to shove that crap about Fiedler down my throat! Cuz of all the phony stats I have seen in my life that takes the cake. Favre is the most "winningest" QB in the Past 3 years. Its not even close. Not to be an a$$, cuz you are a really cool person Wild Card, but that is not even close to logistical.

BTW: Stats are nothing without wins, wins are nothing without RINGS, and RINGS the Packers do have. 12 NFL World Championships including 3 Super Bowls, top that ladies and gents!

And that thing about Elway and Marino, Yank21 just sold that Elway....

A) Isn't Overrated

B) Better then Marino

He even has more rings then Favre including one that he beat Brett for. I'll give John credit for that....