Buster Olney Analysis

Stag5

Odd. One would think Encarnacion being the worst starting OFer in the majors and LoDuca's history of struggling in August and September might have been mentioned. After all that doesn't exactly replace Choi's .390 OBP and 15 HRs.

With our pitching staff it's a huge risk. Willis has been spotty. Beckett left early today. And our potential 5th starters have failed when given a chance.

And that's not even getting into the ages and conracts of the players involved which is the worst part of the deal. 2 rentals and Enc for an young ace; 25yo with power, speed, defense and plate discipline and a good pitching prospect.

The only problem I have is that it seems like we overpaid. If they wouldn't give us Ishii instead of Enc then they should have either ate some of Enc salaries (which theres a strong likelyhood they did) or we should have got a mid level prospect back.

We had them by the balls since apparently the DBacks want Murphy bad and now we find out that they want to move Penny for Johnson. Bottom line is that I think we should have got more back for the best Pitcher on the market (unless you count Johnson as being on the market), a young, cheap, good and improving 1B, and our top pitching prospect. As it is we may just have rentals.

I was initially really against the trade but when you look at the mitigating circumstances for us (the stadium) it makes more sense. We have to win at all costs this year if we're going to have a future.

What would make this a coup is if we can turn Enc, Stokes, nunez, etc around for Admin Walker. And if you look at it from the win at all costs mind set, we can probably give them enc, nunez, stokes, and a pitcher to get them to eat next year's money.

I guess I didn't realize how much trouble the stadium bid is in. Atleast thats my read.

That's right, we upgraded our offense...

By trading a 25 year-old upcoming star, batting .270 / .388 OBP / .495 SLG / .882 OPS / 15 HR / 40 RBIs...

for...

The next Mickey Mantle, 28 year-old Juan Encarnacion, batting .235 / .289 OBP / .417 SLG / .705 OPS / 13 HR / 43 RBIs...

Meaning we traded for guy with a lower batting average, OBP, SLG, OPS... has 2 less HR, and 3 more RBIs in 43 more ABs than Choi...

Yeah... we sure upgraded that offense... :plain

By trading a 25 year-old upcoming star, batting .270 / .388 OBP / .495 SLG / .882 OPS / 15 HR / 40 RBIs...

for...

The next Mickey Mantle, 28 year-old Juan Encarnacion, batting .235 / .289 OBP / .417 SLG / .705 OPS / 13 HR / 43 RBIs...

Meaning we traded for guy with a lower batting average, OBP, SLG, OPS... has 2 less HR, and 3 more RBIs in 43 more ABs than Choi...

485135[/snapback]

We have someone who is basicly a Choi clone in Willingham except he ain't korean.The only thing I'm unhappy about is dealing Bill Murphy.

for...

485135[/snapback]

We traded Choi for Encarnacion? I thought we also received an All-Star catcher named Paul Lo Duca?

no stag, you see what people are upset about is that we should have traded nunez and castro for lo duca, maybe throw in bump for charity...the dodgers would have done that deal, we could have had them.....

:plain

485198[/snapback]

You're kidding?

A.Nunez alone would have made Dodger happy.

We traded Choi for Encarnacion? I thought we also received an All-Star catcher named Paul Lo Duca?

485181[/snapback]

and would you call that a win, offensively?

485191[/snapback]

Yes, I consider trading Choi for an All-Star catcher in Lo Duca and Encarnacion (for now) an upgrade.

I'm sorry you didn't get Kendall for Nunez and Benson for Ray Castro. You give up to get. One of the games top setup men...an All-Star catcher...and Encarnacion who will be moved onward for a bigger and better bat in all likelyhood and you are upset....sheesh.

WIth thinking like this we'd still have Cliff Floyd at $10MM a year in LF and Preston Wilson at $12MM in CF. Isn't it about time you guys trust Beinfest's moves? The guy has done very welll.....even on deals many fans opposed.

no stag, you see what people are upset about is that we should have traded nunez and castro for lo duca, maybe throw in bump for charity...the dodgers would have done that deal, we could have had them.....

:plain

485198[/snapback]

A deal like Penny and Murphy to the Dodgers for Lo Duca and Ishii or Mota would've been perfect. The Dodgers needed us way more than we needed them. As soon as they mentioned Choi that should've ended talks.

Let's see what we actually accomplished.

We corrected our bullpen problem but created a hole in the starting rotation at the same time. We didn't accomplish anything on offense. We still need a bat. Enc just will not cut it.

So pretty much we traded Choi and Penny and are in the same position we were yesterday.

Everyone seems to point to Choi's obp. Big deal. That Billy Ball stuff is such a crock; the A's have made the playoffs because of their pitching; the offense has been pathetic in post season

I could care less what a slugger's obp is-he's paid to hit and drive in runs, not to get on base. The guy has only 40 rbi's!

LoDuca is a very good clutch hitter; great in late inning situations.

Our offense has bogged down because of a lack of timely hitting. LoDuca and Ency (if he stays) will drive in runs.

Mota is a stud

Everyone seems to point to Choi's obp. Big deal.? That Billy Ball stuff is such a crock; the A's have made the playoffs because of their pitching; the offense has been pathetic in post season

I could care less what a slugger's obp is-he's paid to hit and drive in runs, not to get on base. The guy has only 40 rbi's!?

Our offense has bogged down because of a lack of timely hitting.? LoDuca and Ency (if he stays) will drive in runs.

Mota is a stud

485221[/snapback]

Finally someone who doesn't think like others who seem to have a love affair with Choi.People just fell in love with Choi.

Everyone seems to point to Choi's obp. Big deal. That Billy Ball stuff is such a crock; the A's have made the playoffs because of their pitching; the offense has been pathetic in post season

I could care less what a slugger's obp is-he's paid to hit and drive in runs, not to get on base. The guy has only 40 rbi's!

Our offense has bogged down because of a lack of timely hitting. LoDuca and Ency (if he stays) will drive in runs.

Mota is a stud

485221[/snapback]

outside of Hudson and Mulder their starting pitching has been very mediocre this year. Their bullpen has been terrible, and yet their still in 1st place.

I'm not saying I believe everything from Moneyball, but there are a lot of very valid points made in that book.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.