Trying to get DW and the Marlins on national TV...

Ramp

c/o sunsentinel.com

Tommy Hutton knew there was something about Dontrelle Willis when he met the rookie pitcher in spring training.

"When I went up to him and introduced myself in spring training, I knew there was something special," said Hutton, the Marlins' TV analyst. "That was before I ever saw him pitch. He's respectful and respects the game."

Hutton called Monday's one-hitter with Len Kasper on Fox Sports Net and can't wait for Willis' next start.

"Since I've been broadcasting Marlins games the past seven years, Dontrelle is without question the biggest breath of fresh air we've had," Hutton said.

Willis' past two starts have garnered huge local TV ratings and propelled him into the national spotlight. His start last week in Milwaukee was the highest-rated Marlins game in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area in five years. ESPN's Peter Gammons said Willis "is going to be a folk hero. He's a phenomenon ... he gives us something to follow and fall in love with."

The next step is getting Willis on national TV.

Willis starts Saturday against the Devil Rays, and Fox has the Game of the Week. But Fox has a big lineup of interleague rivalries -- Yankees-Mets, Cubs-White Sox, Angels-Dodgers -- that it can't dump.

ESPN has Sunday, Monday and Wednesday telecasts, but Willis likely won't pitch again until Thursday (at the Mets) or Friday (at the Red Sox).

The next possibility is Wednesday, July 2, if Willis' turn comes up again against the Braves at Pro Player Stadium.

The perfect date would be Monday night, July 7, against the Cubs -- the team that traded him -- at Wrigley Field.

and TV ratings are up when he starts....GO TO THE GAME, GIVE HIM AND THE TEAM YOUR SUPPORT

Is there any competition for the ROY award? The only one that comes to mind is Seo....and I think teams will start to learn how to hit him the second time around, alot like what happened with Tejera the second half last season.

B. Webb

c/o sunsentinel.com

Tommy Hutton knew there was something about Dontrelle Willis when he met the rookie pitcher in spring training.

"When I went up to him and introduced myself in spring training, I knew there was something special," said Hutton, the Marlins' TV analyst. "That was before I ever saw him pitch. He's respectful and respects the game."

advertisement

Careerbuilder

advertisement

Hutton called Monday's one-hitter with Len Kasper on Fox Sports Net and can't wait for Willis' next start.

"Since I've been broadcasting Marlins games the past seven years, Dontrelle is without question the biggest breath of fresh air we've had," Hutton said.

Willis' past two starts have garnered huge local TV ratings and propelled him into the national spotlight. His start last week in Milwaukee was the highest-rated Marlins game in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area in five years. ESPN's Peter Gammons said Willis "is going to be a folk hero. He's a phenomenon ... he gives us something to follow and fall in love with."

The next step is getting Willis on national TV.

Willis starts Saturday against the Devil Rays, and Fox has the Game of the Week. But Fox has a big lineup of interleague rivalries -- Yankees-Mets, Cubs-White Sox, Angels-Dodgers -- that it can't dump.

ESPN has Sunday, Monday and Wednesday telecasts, but Willis likely won't pitch again until Thursday (at the Mets) or Friday (at the Red Sox).

The next possibility is Wednesday, July 2, if Willis' turn comes up again against the Braves at Pro Player Stadium.

The perfect date would be Monday night, July 7, against the Cubs -- the team that traded him -- at Wrigley Field.

and TV ratings are up when he starts....GO TO THE GAME, GIVE HIM AND THE TEAM YOUR SUPPORT to me i feel this is bad, to much pressure on a rookie, and also if he does bad, the marlins will have to stay with crap like pax, and old times wami... if he does bad, peopel will go back a stereotype the marlins again, i think we should ease him in and not do another AJ, beckett crap again

-First of all, this would be good for a Rookie of the Year campain. I believe that ESPN's Weekly DayGame can move around the Week, so maybe they can feature him there.

-Pax is not crap, ok. It was the only local tv company to step up and show the fish on free tv. I would rather have PAX which is family and Marlin friendly than WAMI, UPN 33, or WB 39. They treat the Marlins as a priviledge to have, not a hinder to their programming like UPN did in 1998. :angry

-I travel between Miami and Ft. Myers and watch PAX and compared to the old WAMI and UPN telecasts, it seems more consistent to the quality of the FSN telecasts, than the flash and show WAMI and UPN.

-If someone in the PR Dept. for the Fish is reading, please add an affiliate in Ft. Myers to the TV Network, please! :D

I love GW, he is the perfect president. He's a baseball fanatic that will spar with Selig and win AND he's a republican. Gotta Love him,

CSPAN belongs to the cable co's and the sattelite co's and has some taxpayer support. Gotta love the way Ted Kennedy was shown whos write by the lady caller. It's a public service, but seriously we need an MLBTV Channel. I heard MLB and Fox were working on it. SPEED channel to Nascar: MLB TV for MLB! Good things will happen!

I love GW, he is the perfect president. He's a baseball fanatic that will spar with Selig and win AND he's a republican. Gotta Love him,

CSPAN belongs to the cable co's and the sattelite co's and has some taxpayer support. Gotta love the way Ted Kennedy was shown whos write by the lady caller. It's a public service, but seriously we need an MLBTV Channel. I heard MLB and Fox were working on it. SPEED channel to Nascar: MLB TV for MLB! Good things will happen!

WHAT ARE YOU, CRAZY??? The pres maybe a baseball fan, but it aint showin for south FL. His bro, jebby (i hate him and the rest of his family) which I wont get into politics, but jebby gave the marlins a sucker punch in the nads when he declined the marlins stadium revenue back in the John Henry days... He was lobbied hard, but still... if it wasnt for him, the fish would have a stadium right now.

REPUBLICANS SUCK

If both the Cubs and Marlins keep the same days off and the same amount games till July7th. Then you'll see a Clement/ Willis match-up, how bad do you think the FO will want that game :p

omg..... that would be so sick...... every damn marlin fan in the world would be watching that...... we got wills 4 clement that would be crazy...... FO would want that game in the worst way....

i use to like it when it use to be on UPN i think it was nomo or somebody pitched a no no on us back in 95-96.....

UPN did it right, i have nothing aganst PAX but i dont get on all my 3 TV's lol i get on 1 and thats cuz i have do something real Ghetto with a hanger and some wires lol..... HONEST TO GOD......

Wami evaparated like yesterdays news....

I wouldnt mind seeing it on the WB..... i wish these damn tV stations would treat Marlins basball as if it was an honor to have it and not just some pity.....

1 day it will all change and we will re-live 1997 AGAIN