Budget Info

The Marlin Man

Marlins on budget

As part of the creative deal that brought Paul Lo Duca, Guillermo Mota and Juan Encarnacion for Brad Penny, Hee Seop Choi and a pitching prospect, the Marlins also received $2 million. Without the compensation, the payroll would have increased $1.7 million through season's end.

The Marlins did take on a greater financial commitment for 2005. Encarnacion ($4.45 million) is one of six Marlins signed through next year. Assuming Mike Lowell exercises his $7.5 million player option, the Marlins are on the hook for $26.25 million for those six, including Luis Castillo, Alex Gonzalez, Jeff Conine and Juan Pierre.

In addition, they owe a combined $13 million to Mike Hampton and Pudge Rodriguez and will received $2.5 million from the Rockies.

Lo Duca, Mota, Josh Beckett, A.J. Burnett, Billy Koch and Matt Perisho are eligible for arbitration after this season. Among the Marlins' free agents: Carl Pavano, Armando Benitez, Mike Redmond, Lenny Harris, Mike Mordecai, Ismael Valdez and Damion Easley.

I have a question, when the budget for the payroll is set by the owner at the beginning of the year, does that only include the 25 man roster? or the 40?

also, i thought that hampton is off the books next year.....is that not true?

Marlins on budget

As part of the creative deal that brought Paul Lo Duca, Guillermo Mota and Juan Encarnacion for Brad Penny, Hee Seop Choi and a pitching prospect, the Marlins also received $2 million. Without the compensation, the payroll would have increased $1.7 million through season's end.

The Marlins did take on a greater financial commitment for 2005. Encarnacion ($4.45 million) is one of six Marlins signed through next year. Assuming Mike Lowell exercises his $7.5 million player option, the Marlins are on the hook for $26.25 million for those six, including Luis Castillo, Alex Gonzalez, Jeff Conine and Juan Pierre.

In addition, they owe a combined $13 million to Mike Hampton and Pudge Rodriguez and will received $2.5 million from the Rockies.

Lo Duca, Mota, Josh Beckett, A.J. Burnett, Billy Koch and Matt Perisho are eligible for arbitration after this season. Among the Marlins' free agents: Carl Pavano, Armando Benitez, Mike Redmond, Lenny Harris, Mike Mordecai, Ismael Valdez and Damion Easley.

I have a question, when the budget for the payroll is set by the owner at the beginning of the year, does that only include the 25 man roster? or the 40?

also, i thought that hampton is off the books next year.....is that not true?

491509[/snapback]

I would think its only the 25 man roster, and Hampton isnt off the books till after 2005 i think

Guest Guest

damn, maybe we can work something with pavano witha contract that only pays him around 4 mil next year and bumps him up to 7 or 8 in the following years when we can give him hamptons money

491540[/snapback]

All depends how much Pavano wants to stay a Marlin if he'd take a creative contract.

I think all the arbitration guys make it back. And of the FA's, only Pavs needs to be re-signed. Benitez is gone, unless he is going to take a lot less money to stay here - and I dont think he will be taking off for NY or any other big market team. So dont discount the Marlins' ability to negotiate with him - but I dont think he will be back and Mota is going to be our future closer. Remember, Mota also came from the Expos org. and they know him pretty well here. And he also WANTS to be a closer.

In order to put the Hampton myth (that we don't pay him after this season) to bed here's a link to the pay-outs.

The bad news is we do pay him in 2005, the good news is that Atlanta's payments from 2006 - 2008 are staggering and potentially quite damaging to the Braves organization.

Here's the link:

SI link to Hampton contract

491556[/snapback]

So next season we pay Pierre and Hamptpn $11.9MM combined. If we had Preston an CJ it would have been $22.5M. WOW!

Come 2006 when Hampton and Pudge are off the books we are in fine shape.

LoDuca is expected to command $6-8M this winter, and I doubt he'd sign a long term deal at a lesser price considering he'd the best arbitration eligible / free agent catcher on the market.

Mota is expected to get $3.5M, more than what we're paying Benitez this year.

It's LoDuca or Pavano. And Mota and Enc or Benitez.

If I were Beinfest I'd lock Burnett into a long backloaded deal this winter. Beckett is eligible for arbitration as well.

LoDuca is expected to command $6-8M this winter, and I doubt he'd sign a long term deal at a lesser price considering he'd the best arbitration eligible / free agent catcher on the market.

Mota is expected to get $3.5M, more than what we're paying Benitez this year.

It's LoDuca or Pavano. And Mota and Enc or Benitez.

If I were Beinfest I'd lock Burnett into a long backloaded deal this winter. Beckett is eligible for arbitration as well.

492213[/snapback]

Benitez is being paid $3.5M this year. I agree with your assessment that Burnett should be locked into a long term deal. Same goes with Beckett. Our Hampton/Pudge payment will be $11.5M next year, and only $2M to Pudge in 2006.

Send Mikey packing, put the kid on 3rd where he started. That's $7M+ freed up to keep others, and hope someone like Willingham fills the batting hole.

492225[/snapback]

:thumbdown Mikey packing? Wow, we really are going into a true rebuilding mode then.

interesting...it appears our current payroll is roughly the same as (if not less than) the opening day payroll, both of which are less than last year's payroll.

492358[/snapback]

And Loria (saw this somewhere, forgot where) said he will increase the payroll next season.

Guest Juanky

Send Mikey packing, put the kid on 3rd where he started. That's $7M+ freed up to keep others, and hope someone like Willingham fills the batting hole.

492225[/snapback]

You do realize that isn't happening right

interesting...it appears our current payroll is roughly the same as (if not less than) the opening day payroll, both of which are less than last year's payroll.

492358[/snapback]

And Loria (saw this somewhere, forgot where) said he will increase the payroll next season.

492414[/snapback]

eh?

he's picking an interesting season to increase payroll.

after 2003, THIS was supposed to be our best year for contention.

What part of last year's payroll? The end after Urbina, Conine and others were added? The payroll right now is just over 60 million when you include payments to Hampton and Pudge, players on the DL and active roster. Right where Loria set it this offseason.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.