Ok Doods....

Das Texan

active player or anyone in baseball History?

it is really difficult, since baseball is such a team sport

496786[/snapback]

anyone who has ever played a game in the Major Leagues.

Obviously this eliminates Negro Leaguers that never made it to the majors.

its supposed to be difficult....

but all good teams have a piece they build around.

Alex Rodriguez...the ultimate 5 tool player. gi-normous power, great speed (although he doesnt run as much as he used to), .300 hitter, gold glove SS (the hardest postion to fill with all that), would have more gold gloves if it werent for Vizquel. and by the time hes done, he'll own the all time HR record. no doubt hes the player to build a team around.

Here is where I lean.

Bob Gibson.

Why?

When a game counts here are his numbers:

9 9 1.89 7-2 0 8 2 81.0 55 17 17 92

Thats games, games started, ERA, Record, Saves, Complete Games, Shutouts, Innings Pitched, Earned Runs, Walks, Strikeouts.

If I have a big game.....this is who i want on the mound and thats Gibson's postseason stats.

If you want to go further into regular season stats....

251 wins against 174 losses.

career ERA of 2.91. the league average over that same time was 3.70.

in 482 starts...he completed 255 of those games.

we will just start with those numbers.....

Thats candidate one for me.

Barry Bonds-the best five tool player of all time.

He will most likely pass Ruth and Aaron in the next couple of years and become the number one home run hitter of all time.

He's won 8 gold glove awards and is a member of the elite 40/40 club.

Not to mention that he's won 6 MVP awards far and away the most of all time. That number could be 7 after this year but it should be 8 since he was more deserving than Terry Pendleton in 1991.

No other player has ever been so feared that he completely changes the way the game is played and that's why I would have to chose Barry Bonds.

Alex Rodriguez...the ultimate 5 tool player. gi-normous power, great speed (although he doesnt run as much as he used to), .300 hitter, gold glove SS (the hardest postion to fill with all that), would have more gold gloves if it werent for Vizquel. and by the time hes done, he'll own the all time HR record. no doubt hes the player to build a team around.

496816[/snapback]

Rangers?

Walter Johnson. He helped the Washington Senators to several World Series wins, despite the fact that they didn't have much talent besides him on their team. He was the player they built their team around. Rarely would he ever lose important games.

497062[/snapback]

Walter Johnson won one World Series.

Walter Johnson was 3-3 in the World Series.

you could also argue that with a career fielding percentage of .961 Ty Cobb wasnt truly a good fielder....I'd put him more as an average fielder.

But what he did with the bat more than made up for it I would say...although he was probably the biggest SOB the game has ever seen.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.