Heat Sign Point Guard

Fish Tank Frenzy

Pat Riley said that the Heat signed Damon Jones formerly of the Milwaukee Bucks, I like the signing, Damon Jones is a good ball handler and it helps to put D Wade at the 2 guard for about 10 - 15 min a game...

SHAQ IN BLACK COMING TO THE AMERICAN AIRLINES ARENA

497197[/snapback]

yay? Who dat is?

Actually, while I've never heard of this guy, he looks like Rafer Alson II. Actually, he looks better than Rafer.

wtf?

we just signed keyon dooling, why would we need ANOTHER backup PG when we're lacking forwards like a mofo

even though i love damon jones, why would we do this?

497378[/snapback]

I guess they figure Dooling can sub in for Jones and Wade and Jones can primarly sub in for Wade. Plus we could use the outside shooting. Never hurts to have a little depth in the backcourt. :thumbup

Awesome...This guy is Rafer Alstons Clone

497516[/snapback]

Not exactly a clone.

Damon is a bit older so he doesnt have as much upside.

wtf?

we just signed keyon dooling, why would we need ANOTHER backup PG when we're lacking forwards like a mofo

even though i love damon jones, why would we do this?

497378[/snapback]

To give Dwyane the opportunity to move to SG when EJ is on the bench. Damon Jones is awesome, he's a great perimeter shooter, but I do agree we probably should have gone after a SF or PF instead.

Here's an article on the signing.

Posted on Fri, Aug. 06, 2004

D. Jones signs 2-year deal with Miami

The Heat solidified its backcourt by signing unrestricted free agent Damon Jones, but with little money left, available frontcourt options are scarce.

BY STEPHEN F. HOLDER

sholder@herald.com

With its frontcourt depth still lacking, the Heat on Thursday chose to solidify its backcourt with the signing of unrestricted free agent Damon Jones, the player's agent and league sources confirmed Thursday.

The Heat has scheduled a news conference for today where it is expected to introduce Jones, who becomes the third point guard on the roster and will compete with local standout Keyon Dooling for the backup job to starter Dwyane Wade.

Jones comes to the Heat after one season in Milwaukee, where he had his most productive year as a pro, playing mostly as a backup to T.J. Ford. When Ford went down with a spinal cord injury and missed the final third of the season, Jones became the starter.

Miami will be Jones' ninth NBA team.

Jones received a guaranteed two-year deal, with the remaining $2.5 million from Miami's midlevel cap exception covering the first year's salary. Jones' agent, Mark Termini, said Jones will hold a player option for the second year.

The 6-3 Jones, 27, looked less like a journeyman last season, averaging seven points and 5.8 assists, despite playing just 24.6 minutes per-game. Jones' assist-to-turnover ratio -- 4.64 to 1 -- ranked second in the league.

''Damon is an up-and-coming player, and Miami saw that,'' Termini said.

The $2.5 million was the Heat's best remaining asset in free agency. Now, Miami's $1.6 million exception is the only substantial money left to offer.

That likely won't be enough to land an impact small forward or power forward such as Cleveland free agent Eric Williams, who has been negotiating with the Heat and Nets.

The Heat lost out on free agent forwards Rodney Rogers and Robert Horry when they signed with other teams, and it might now have to look to the next tier.

Awesome...This guy is Rafer Alstons Clone

497516[/snapback]

Not exactly a clone.

Damon is a bit older so he doesnt have as much upside.

497744[/snapback]

Rafer is older by a month. :plain

499487[/snapback]

Yeah I noticed that today when I read the article.

My bad.

Could have sworn I had read that he was 30 earlier this year.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.