Trades

At what point should beinfest start looking to trade some of our potential FA's for some prospects or younger players? I don't want to seem to negative but we are not gaining any ground on anyone(division or wildcard). We should get some decent people for some of our guys:

Benitez

Pavano

Redmond

Seanez

Cordero

Easley

With some of these trades it could give some younger guys a chance to get some games under their belt.

Benitez---replaced by Mota

Pavano---Hutchinson as a starter/give Wayne or Bump a chance to start and put

Messenger in the pen

Easley---replaced by Josh Wilson

Cordero---Willingham

redmond---Ryan Jorgenson

With some of these trades it could give some younger guys a chance to get some games under their belt.

Messenger in the pen

Cordero---Willingham

redmond---Ryan Jorgenson

502808[/snapback]

I don't think you get the point, Benitez and Pavano are the only ones with any value at all and they won't clear waivers.

Messenger in the pen

Cordero---Willingham

redmond---Ryan Jorgenson

502808[/snapback]

We can give those guys a chance in September when rosters expand, if we're truly out of it by then.

With us being 5.5 GB already and 4 teams in front of us the chances of all of them to fade are not very good. Especially when we can't get a decent winning streak started.

Are last 18 games should have given us a chance to gain ground but our record was 7-11 against Pit, Mon, Phi, Ari, & Milw.

Our next 15 games will decide the rest of our season: we play 3 against Stl, LA, SD, and SF.

I'm not sure I understand all the nuances of waivers, but they don't seem to stop anyone from getting a player they want. Didn't Admin Walker just clear waivers to go to St. Louis for minor leaguers plus cash? And somehow we got Jeff Conine to clear waivers within a few hours of Lowell getting hurt last year, where we gave up some good prospects.

I'm not sure I understand all the nuances of waivers, but they don't seem to stop anyone from getting a player they want. Didn't Admin Walker just clear waivers to go to St. Louis for minor leaguers plus cash? And somehow we got Jeff Conine to clear waivers within a few hours of Lowell getting hurt last year, where we gave up some good prospects.

502828[/snapback]

Admin Walker wasn't picked up because of his huge contract. Usually the older most expensive players clear waivers. I believe that the prospects don't have to clear waivers. They only have to clear waivers if they are on the 40-man roster I think. I'm not 100% sure on that, but I think that's how it works.

At what point should beinfest start looking to trade some of our potential FA's for some prospects or younger players? I don't want to seem to negative but we are not gaining any ground on anyone(division or wildcard). We should get some decent people for some of our guys:

Benitez

Pavano

Redmond

Seanez

Cordero

Easley

502788[/snapback]

though i agree with you that we are essentially out of it, the point is, after the trading deadline (which passed one week ago), the only way a team can trade a player is if they "clear waivers"--that is, every team gets a shot at claiming the player at his current salary, and the current team can only trade him if he goes unclaimed by all MLB teams.

the only players up there with any real trade value are pavano and benitez, and neither of them have a snowball's chance in hell at clearing waivers. typically the type of players who clear waivers are those who are overpaid or underperforming.

in effect, we missed out on our last chance to "sell" for any good prospects after july 31st. there's no point in making the team look like sellers if the only players you're going to sell are guys like cordero and redmond.

5.5 games back is nothing. You can't think of how many teams are in front of us. All the Marlins can do is worry about themselves and hope that other teams start playing mediocre baseball, which is more than possible with the teams ahead of us.

The next few series will tell us for sure where we are going. The Marlins tend to play to the level of their competition. If this holds true, you should see a playoff caliber team starting on Tuesday. And the hope then is that it really kickstarts the team for the rest of the season....

The best part about being a baseball fan and having a team to follow as avidly as we all do, is the hope that they can do something miraculous. Where's the fun in giving up with 50 games to go and being only 5.5 games back??? Cheer up and have some faith, people !!

5.5 games back is nothing. You can't think of how many teams are in front of us. All the Marlins can do is worry about themselves and hope that other teams start playing mediocre baseball, which is more than possible with the teams ahead of us.

The next few series will tell us for sure where we are going. The Marlins tend to play to the level of their competition. If this holds true, you should see a playoff caliber team starting on Tuesday. And the hope then is that it really kickstarts the team for the rest of the season....

The best part about being a baseball fan and having a team to follow as avidly as we all do, is the hope that they can do something miraculous. Where's the fun in giving up with 50 games to go and being only 5.5 games back??? Cheer up and have some faith, people !!

503125[/snapback]

:thumbup :goodpost