STL's Martinez leaves game early

bigfishfan

The Cardinal's First baseman Tino Martinez left the game against the Royals early with a sore hammy. even though it was a precautionary move to make sure he didn't get hurt perhaps this could force the Cardinals hand in making a deal with the Marlins for Derrick Lee and Luis Castillo.

I realize I have no proof nor even a substantial amount of...well...anything this is just kind of food for thought. As we all know Vina has been out for quite some time with an injury and the Cardinals are struggling. If they did make a move what would you guys like to get from the STL?

Personally I don't see anything they have that we want/can afford. With the rookies that they are calling up to fill rolls i don't really see a decent farm system either.

Castillo sucks? Batting .309 and is tied for 3rd on the team in runs scored......at the #2 spot instead of leadoff spot now. 2nd on the team in hits...has not only increased his RBIs in the 2 spot, but has shown some more power hitting 4 HRs thus far this season. So his SBs are down...moving to 2nd in the order from leadoff, and a hip surgery will do that to ya.

Castillo sucks? Batting .309 and is tied for 3rd on the team in runs scored......at the #2 spot instead of leadoff spot now. 2nd on the team in hits...has not only increased his RBIs in the 2 spot, but has shown some more power hitting 4 HRs thus far this season. So his SBs are down...moving to 2nd in the order from leadoff, and a hip surgery will do that to ya.

he cant run, doesnt have the greatest glove, he barely got those balls over the fence and they were right down the middle, and he was batting righty, most pitchers are righty so he bats mostly left. he is good but not worth his pay check and not close to 7 mill which he will probably ask for.

his HRs are insignificant. They are what you call "kagged out".

alot of 2nd basemans can hit around .300 with decent defense for ALOT less than 7 mill. Castillos my favorite and always has been since the first day he came up in 1996. Id like to see the marlins sign him even if it were for 10 million but it aint happening and truth is we can get alot more stuff for 7 million.

oh and is just me or in the last few games has castillo gotten down on groundballs late. It looks like that hip is effecting him on getting to groundballs on time as well. He used to field them alot cleaner.

^^^ LOL

castillo should be trade as soon as possablie , doesnt have great D cant run is an expert at getting caught stealing.. so he not worth 4 mill right now

he makes a little under 5 mill, so basically he makes 5 mill, cant field balls as well as he once could, cant run like he once could..............

Exactly... Other players on this team may be worth MORE than what Luis is making, but Luis is getting what he deserves...

The thing is, he just isn't what we need... The average is fine and dandy, but we need a Orlando Cabrera like player who can hit for average, score/bring in runs, hit a few HR's, steal some bases, and play some GG defense...

Question is, where would we find someone like that?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.