A person's political views

Izzie

I know I don't really come here often but I think this is an interesting question. Beinfest4Prez kind of gave me the idea when he said that people may hate him for his political views so that got me thinking...

Do you think less or differently of people whose political views differ from yours? Do you have more respect for people who agree with your views than for someone who doesn't? Or do political views have absolutely no say in judging how much you respect or like a person?

I'll be honest, I have way more respect for people that don't like Bush than people who do. That's just solely on Bush terms though, not on Republican or Conservative terms. But hey that's just me.

I'm just curious what you guys think.

I dont think respect should be the word neccesarily. I certainly respect a lot of people who's views are not mine. Like das, I have friends who dont share my views and I get along fine with them and we rip on each other too.

I think its easier to get along with people who have the same views based soley on the fact that its something you have in common and by the same token I think its easy to have problems with people of oppositve views because politics can get awfully heated and it can be hard to seperate that from the non political word. You really have to make an effort with the latter.

I think its a give and take on how respectful you are with the other views, how willing you are to be understanding of where someone comes from, and what the motives are behind views.

Yeah, I know what you guys mean.

I have a lot of friends who don't share my views as well, especially in my debate class and like Das said, you gotta know how to seperate those things. In the heat of an argument we might be enemies but at the end of the day, they're still gonna be my friends no matter what. I don't think politics should get in the way of anyone's friendship.

To elaborate on the whole respect thing, I mean I have respect for anyone and everyone who respects me but I guess I just feel like I can relate better to people who believe, or at least somewhat believe the same thing as me. Maybe 'respect' wasn't the best term but you get the point.

conservatives will hate on liberals just as easily if given the opportunity.

i've seen this at SMU many times.

520152[/snapback]

Well I have lived in both types of areas and have not noticed that. I am as conservative as you will find but will never hate a liberal just because they are liberal. Some Liberals will blindly hate a conservative just because the person is a conservative.

I don't hate liberals or anything either..I actually have a lot of very good liberal friends! something that I can't stand, and personally, don't respect are communists. My family went through so much in Cuba, and I feel like their judgement is f***ed up. I can respect you if you argue with good points and if you have full knowledge of what you're talking about, but if you're an ignorant mo fo that repeats everything told to you, then you don't deserve my respect.

I agree with FishFanPR here, no commies, other than that I could care less. I don't talk that much about politics with my friends. A few follow politics and actually have strong views on the issues and occasionally we'll have a conversation about it but very rarely. Most of my friends could care less about politics at this stage.

I certainly respect people who do not have the same views as myself.

If you pick your friends based on politics you have problems.

One of my best friends was so liberal, I nicknamed her mom the Gestapo. Her mom was a total liberal leftist. I mean the woman wore the T-Shirt saying "I had an abortion" right in front of her grandchildren. Yet, she was still somewhat nice to be around as long as politics wsn't involved. Her daughter didn't get along with her too well. She also called her the gestapo.

I couldnt hate someone for their politics....but how they come across. One of the people on this politics forum that I have the most respect for is f_m because he knows his crap and is respectful about it.

Life's gotta go on outside of politics, or you'll go nowhere in life.

I hate conservatives but as in their views in politics but I wont hate a person personally because of their political views, that would be stupid. It's almost like hating a person because of their religious beliefs something also stupid. I have many friends who have different politcal views than me and I get along with them great.

This country has many freedoms and these are a couple of them, being able to believe in what you want is one of them.

I just strongly dislike conservative views.

:)

I couldnt hate someone for their politics....but how they come across. One of the people on this politics forum that I have the most respect for is f_m because he knows his crap and is respectful about it.

Life's gotta go on outside of politics, or you'll go nowhere in life.

520694[/snapback]

Same goes for you furman. Though I often disagree with you, I do understand where you are coming from.

One of my best friends was so liberal, I nicknamed her mom the Gestapo. Her mom was a total liberal leftist. I mean the woman wore the T-Shirt saying "I had an abortion" right in front of her grandchildren. Yet, she was still somewhat nice to be around as long as politics wsn't involved. Her daughter didn't get along with her too well. She also called her the gestapo.

520604[/snapback]

How do you associate Gestapo with liberal Cape? Please tell me. Nazi's weren't liberal. Nazi's weren't conservative. Nazi's were a completely new side of politics.

How do you associate Gestapo with liberal Cape? Please tell me. Nazi's weren't liberal. Nazi's weren't conservative. Nazi's were a completely new side of politics.

Actually, Nazis were so far to the right, that it was just ridiculous. Once you go extremely far to the right or left, you reach a brutal totalatarium government like Nazi Germany on the right or The Soviet Union on the left.

Actually, Nazis were so far to the right, that it was just ridiculous. Once you go extremely far to the right or left, you reach a brutal totalatarium government like Nazi Germany on the right or The Soviet Union on the left.

520771[/snapback]

Ehh, I was trying not to associate nazi's with conservatives. But that is true chewie.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.