Dontrelle for CY YOUNG!?!?

Wild Card

I have thought long and hard about this. If he wins 20 games this year, has as many K's as innings pitched, an ERA of 2.50 give or take, do you think Dontrelle could win the Cy? :whistle The vet Kevin Brown might have an edge because he's just that, a vet, but Dontrelle might also hold the edge of coming straight from AA in the middle of the season, still winning 20 games, and being loved by fans everywhere because of his swagger and attitude, ect...

What does everybody else think? :mischief2

Am I crazy, ignorant, naive, or all three? :shifty

Guest marlins02

this is starting to get crazy. Rookie of the year and an allstar appearance is one thing, but now bringing up the Cy Young award? thats alot to ask for, he's only been up for over a month and its only June. I know he's been spectacular, but its to early to talk about that.

this is starting to get crazy. Rookie of the year and an allstar appearance is one thing, but now bringing up the Cy Young award? thats alot to ask for, he's only been up for over a month and its only June. I know he's been spectacular, but its to early to talk about that.

I don't know...

I'm not asking for a Cy, I'm just saying it's possible...

He's been just as good as Kevin Brown...

If he keeps it up, the sky could be the limit...

Guest marlins02

mentioning the Cy Young to me is really just crazy, at least now it is. if in September he's still going strong than ok, but its only June. let him focus on just going one start at a time, and trying to help keep the team going strong

He won't be able to make more than 17 starts this year unless the fish go with a 4 man rotation...

He's been getting a win almost everytime he steps on the mound...

I don't see him getting very many no decisions, whether it be a win or loss. He always goes at least six innings.

And the team hits behind. When he's out there, they're pumped up. The crowds are now pumped up. He makes everything more exciting.

I'm not trying to raise his expectations. I don't expect him to win the Cy, or go to the AS game for that matter. I'm just saying it's a slight possibility...

WildCard, I'll have to agree with the rest of the board on this. Take it one step at a time and don't jinx it... :) All Star is one thing, but Cy Young is a whole different ballgame. First, he is not going to pitch more than 18 more games this year. Second, you will have to factor in that after the break other teams are going to have a second chance/look at him. Let's see how they adapt and, more importantly, how Willis adapts.

Dammit, Das, stop being like me and go with it for now.

AS far as I'm concerned, it's a wide-open race. Brown is the front runner from everything I read, but every 3rd or 4th start he gets his han handed to him (dee Sunday's start).

WTH, I'm all for the D-Train making a run at it!!!

I could see him winning a couple of CY's down the road but that can be said for hundred of pitchers who looked stellar in their first month. He does seem to have a flair about him though that the marlins have lacked since 97(sheff, Bo, Brownie). I think his best asset to the team (besides consistent starts) is the exposure its bringing the Marlins. The more he throws, the more everybody wants to see.

AS far as I'm concerned, it's a wide-open race. Brown is the front runner from everything I read, but every 3rd or 4th start he gets his han handed to him (dee Sunday's start).

Well, I don't want him to think about winning it. Just go out and pile up the wins one by one. Don't put you mind on it.

For the Cy, I think this has gotta be the Ranks so far:

1) Kevin Brown

2) Woody Williams

3) Dontrelle Willis

4) Eric Gagne

5) Shawn Chicon

Well, I don't want him to think about winning it. Just go out and pile up the wins one by one. Don't put you mind on it.

For the Cy, I think this has gotta be the Ranks so far:

1) Kevin Brown

2) Woody Williams

3) Dontrelle Willis

4) Eric Gagne

5) Shawn Chicon I gotta put Gag Me on the top of that list. I haven't seen anyone throw so heavy of a pitch since the advent of the split-finger under Roger Craig with the '84 Tigers.

What's the dork closer from hell's saves up to, 20 something?

ANd no, I wasn't insinuating that Willis is a crackead or a wife beater. He's not married :w00t

I haven't seen anyone throw so heavy of a pitch since the advent of the split-finger under Roger Craig with the '84 Tigers.

Didn't Roger Craig play in the NFL in the '80's? :p

He's not married :w00t

Byt the looks of that happy face I'd say your pretty darn happy he's not married...

What's up with that? :lol :p

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.