BONDS

AniR300

from an ESPN.com poll:

1) How many home runs will Bonds hit in his career?

67.8% 755-800

17.2% More than 800

15.0% Less than 754

2) Which do you consider the most impressive "club" in baseball?

46.5% 700 home runs

28.2% 400 wins

23.2% 4,000 hits

2.1% 2,000 RBI

3) Who is the greatest power hitter of all time?

47.7% Barry Bonds

36.0% Babe Ruth

10.6% Hank Aaron

5.7% Josh Gibson

4) Does the controversy about BALCO and performance-enhancing drugs negatively impact your opinion of Bonds' statistics?

63.0% No

37.0% Yes

5) Do you consider Hall of Fame pitcher Gaylord Perry's win total tainted?

74.8% No

25.2% Yes

6) Which of Bonds' other accomplishments is most impressive?

55.6% 500-500 (home runs and stolen bases)

17.1% Single-season record 203 (and counting) walks in 2004

15.6% Single-season record .863 SLG in 2001

11.6% Single-season record .582 OBP in 2002

7) There has been some talk of Bonds opting to retire instead of breaking Aaron's record. What would you think of such a gesture?

45.5% It's his call, I don't have an opinion

38.2% Frivolous, records are made to be broken

16.2% Selfless, a class gesture towards a pioneer

8) Is Barry Bonds the greatest player in the history of the game?

57.8% No

42.2% Yes

9) Which player is most likely to break the home run record, whether held by Aaron or Bonds?

41.3% None of the above

30.1% Alex Rodriguez

26.4% Albert Pujols

2.3% Ken Griffey Jr.

Total Votes: 17,017

various players and managers on Bonds reaching 700:

"I can't put that in perspective. That's unreal"- Carlos Delgado

"There's only three people that have ever done it. It's amazing. And how quickly he's done it, in the last two years. There's no player that's like him. I don't know if there ever has been a player like him that's changed the game like he did. To see what he does with the amount of pitches he gets to see is absolutely amazing. If he gets one pitch a game, he usually hammers it. To walk as much as he walks, and to have the patience not to go outside the strike zone and not to swing at bad pitches, to have that patience to get a pitch to hit and hit it, and hit home runs, it's not that easy."- Jeff Bagwell

"Bonds has blown by 500, 600 home runs. He is going to be well into the 700s before the season is over. Bonds came back to life when he hit 73 home runs [in 2001]. Before that, nobody was talking about Barry Bonds [reaching 700 home runs]. All I can say is, amazing."- Frank Robinson

"Barry Bonds is the greatest hitter in the history of the game, bar none. He's the best, end of discussion. Who does what he does? No one is even close. I never saw Babe Ruth play, but he couldn't have been this good. He might see one good pitch a game and hit it off a concourse somewhere. The respect he has from pitchers and other managers is something I've never seen. I have seen a lot of great players and played with a lot of great ones, but Barry is on a different level than anyone I have ever seen"- Bret Boone

"Can you imagine if they went after him? There is no doubt in my mind he could hit 100 home runs in a season. The year he hit 73 home runs, he walked 170 or something like that. If they pitch to him, he could hit 100 home runs."- Vinny Castilla

"Everybody knew he'd be good. He turned out to be great. But he's past that now. He's gone on to legendary status."- Bobby Bonilla

"We knew Barry Bonds was a special player when I managed against him when he was with Pittsburgh. We never wanted to pitch to him then, and he's only gotten stronger, only gotten more experienced. He's always been a very good hitter in regards to having a plan going to the plate. I can't imagine anybody scaring people as much as he does when he has a bat in his hands."- Joe Torre

"I can't even fathom hitting half that many. It's unbelievable. The stat I saw that is amazing is how long it took him to get to 100 and how quickly he advanced each hundred after that. He's gotten better, better, better and is just flying through those record books. Barry Bonds is in a class all by himself. I actually hope he breaks all the records so I can say I played with him in an All-Star Game and I played against him."- Mike Lowell

"First, you have to stay healthy; you have to play over 20 years injury free and that's hard to do. "[The Cardinals' Albert] Pujols can stay healthy and [the Yankees'] Alex Rodriguez -- they have a chance to do that. To me, Bonds might be the last one to hit 700."- Aramis Ramirez

"Every year, you get a little older. He's on track, and the way he takes care of himself, he has a definite shot. It depends on how he finishes this year; he has a pretty good shot of breaking it next year."- Dusty Baker

"He's done for the game what Michael Jordan did for basketball. The only thing he doesn't have is the rings to show for it. He's to baseball what Jordan and Wayne Gretzky were to their sports."- Cliff Floyd

"It's a heckuva feat. I have not seen all of the great players in the past and obviously they were very, very talented. But I just don't see how anybody could be better than Barry Bonds."- Lou Pinella

Just to get a feel for "how much better Barry is" I did a little number crunching...

I subtracted 80 from his walk total. That is the difference in Intentional walks between him and Thome (the next closest)... I will then redistibute those 80 plate appearences as if he was actually pitched to...

Using his rate stats (k/PA, BA, etc.) here's what he would do in those 80 extra AB's

he'd be expected to have 6K's 7HR's 26BB(5 intentional) 22H -- in those extra 80 AB's where he was pitched to like Jim Thome

He would have about 49HR's right now, and his OBP would have dropped to lowly .563 -- Making his OPS about 1.388

Given that most of his IBB have come with RISP, I would guess that Barry would have at least 1RBI on about 75% of his hits. Added to guarenteed RBI via the HR, and I would expect a more pitched to barry to have numbers that resemble this.

150H 32(2B) 1(3B) 49(HR) 123(RBI) 153(BB) 40(K) .373/.563/.825

I think pitchers should challenge him more often, but even those are the numbers of an MVP. 40K's to 153BB's is incredible.

there is nobody that's close to him.

The second best player in baseball is Pujols

He looks like a pitcher in comparison.

Bonds is the best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be

563196[/snapback]

Amen brother.... I'm extremely jealous that you got to witness it in person. I was following the game on MLB Gameday and every time Bonds was due up, I'd turn on ESPN to watch the at bat.

Now it's time to get him that ring !!! Our boys are playing some good ball right now... J.T hitting .330, Lowry starting his career with a 5-0 record, Hermanson saving 14 games already, Deivi Cruz coming in and solidifying the shortstop position, and much much more.... How bout Brad Hennessey the other day???

I'm pumped !! Time for those damn Dodgers to start losing. Let's take the NL West !!!!

Congrats to the greatest power hitter of all-time...

563243[/snapback]

Sorry, No. Has Bonds ever hit more homeruns than the rest of the league combined? Has Bonds ever called his shot?

He may be a Yankee scumbag, but the Babe is the end all, be all of power hitters.

I wonder why you didn't bold this part:

8) Is Barry Bonds the greatest player in the history of the game?

57.8% No

42.2% Yes

Babe Ruth calling his shot is a myth. No one knows if it happened for sure?

And I'm getting tired of hearing that Babe hit more homeruns that an entire league. The entire league hit like 50. Baseball wasn't then what it is now. It was a different time. Pitchers are much more specialized in what they do nowadays. Back then, it was a side job for them. I doubt the Babe had to face guys that had such a wide variety of pitches.

Bonds is the best....

Babe Ruth calling his shot is a myth. No one knows if it happened for sure?

Watch the video tape, he clearly points at the flag pole in center ... you know what happens next

And I'm getting tired of hearing that Babe hit more homeruns that an entire league. The entire league hit like 50. Baseball wasn't then what it is now. It was a different time. Pitchers are much more specialized in what they do nowadays. Back then, it was a side job for them. I doubt the Babe had to face guys that had such a wide variety of pitches.

563274[/snapback]

You just proved my point, at a time when hitting a homerun was about as a rare as seeing a triple nowadays Ruth set a record that stood for 30 years ... and he did it in LESS games than the guys who broke it. Bonds is a great player ... even with BALCO, but Ruth revolutionized the game.

One helluva feat for Bonds. He's the best of all-time. I am just glad that I got to see it live on TV.

5) Do you consider Hall of Fame pitcher Gaylord Perry's win total tainted?

Can someone explain this for me?

You put Bonds vs Ruth right now against the best pitchers of all time and I'll put my money on Bonds..

This is an argument that will go on forever. Even ESPN's analysts don't agree 100% on this one....

Just the fact that we're having this discussion proves the type of legendary player Bonds is....

Like it or not his records are tainted, many people with good reason have high suspicions about his involvement with BALCO and it couldn't have happened to a bigger azz hole

Congrats on 700 Barry if you could keep your condescending racist trap closed more often then you'd receive more props than you have so far

You put Bonds vs Ruth right now against the best pitchers of all time and I'll put my money on Bonds..

This is an argument that will go on forever. Even ESPN's analysts don't agree 100% on this one....

Just the fact that we're having this discussion proves the type of legendary player Bonds is....

563317[/snapback]

That's ridiculous. Ruth was the best at the start, the game has progressed and the pitchers are better as are the hitters.

You can't say with any certainty that Ruth wouldn't have been a better hitter than he was and you surely can't say that Bonds would have dominated as he did in Ruth's day if he had grown up during that time.

Yes Bonds is legendary, and of course whereever he goes and wherever his records go there will follow the BALCO suspicion, he was one of the greatest players before 2001 now he's taken his ascension to the best player debate to speak the stupidity he does.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.