I know I'm always Mr. Optimistic...

Wild Card

If I was told in 2002 that the marlins would win it all in 2003, but miss the playoffs in 2004, I would be estatic.

568768[/snapback]

Word.

And a small market team like us didn't just miss the playoffs - - we battled back from the dead to make things interesting until there were only 2 weeks left. All I ever could want last year was a playoff race, so there isn't much disappointment. Plus, if you knew Beckett was gonna win 7 games you'd think the playoffs were out of the question.

Let's just hope they don't do anything stupid like after the 97 world series, were they got ride of all there good players.

568871[/snapback]

Yeah well it's an entirely different front office so yeah...

If I was told in 2002 that the marlins would win it all in 2003, but miss the playoffs in 2004, I would be estatic.

568768[/snapback]

True.

The only disappointment is knowing this year's team did not play to their potential.

They were missing the chemistry they had last year and allowed small slumps to turn into protracted slumps. Was Ozzie Guillen's presence missed?

Losing Pudge, and not addressing the bullpen in the offseason were the two most glaring holes. Castro's demise and Fox's injury exacerbated the situation.

It was nice to see the LoDuca, Mota trade.....it's just the FO made it two months too late and did not address their holes when they became apparent.

Let's just hope they don't do anything stupid like after the 97 world series, were they got ride of all there good players.

568871[/snapback]

Yeah well it's an entirely different front office so yeah...

568942[/snapback]

Starting and ending a post with yeah is pretty impressive.

The band will be back together, for the most part.

We're going to be good next year, one way or another.

Losing Pudge, and not addressing the bullpen in the offseason were the two most glaring holes. Castro's demise and Fox's injury exacerbated the situation.

569063[/snapback]

I'd say Castro's failure and Fox's injury were the start of our problems, but if you wish to use your 20/20 glasses go ahead.

A lot of things went wrong this season, unlike in 2003 where it all just seemed to "fit into place."

The keys to this off-season are retaining Pavano and Benitez, IMO. Lo Duca is expendable considering Willingham, but would be welcomed back. But bigger than anything, Mike Lowell leaving would kill this team. Period.

Guest marlins02

Lo Duca is expendable considering Willingham, but would be welcomed back. 570449[/snapback]

remember that argument last year about pudge being expendable because we had castro? :plain lets not do this again.

A lot of things went wrong this season, unlike in 2003 where it all just seemed to "fit into place."

The keys to this off-season are retaining Pavano and Benitez, IMO. Lo Duca is expendable considering Willingham, but would be welcomed back. But bigger than anything, Mike Lowell leaving would kill this team. Period.

570449[/snapback]

Lo Duca is NOT expendable. That's why we got him. Noone we had was working out, remember? Willingham needs more time. Believe me, the FO wants to keep him.

I'm on the fence about Mike, he gets so hot at the beginning of the season but damn, his big time 2nd half slumps killed us this year. Don't forget, last year he got hurt and missed September games. Then again his defense is always gold..

Lo Duca is expendable considering Willingham, but would be welcomed back. 570449[/snapback]

remember that argument last year about pudge being expendable because we had castro? :plain lets not do this again.

570461[/snapback]

Im not saying Willy is ready for catching either but just because Castro failed miserably doesnt mean any other rookie or youngster we would want to put behind the plate would do so too

Why is the catching postion so severly underestimated and underappreciated?

570464[/snapback]

1. Catchers generally stay in the minors and off 40-man rosters longer than other position players. The lost service time lengthens their arbitration years and depresses salaries. By the time a catcher reaches free agency is nearly 30 and no one wants to pay an old battered catcher big money.

2. Their influence over a pitching staff is can not be quantified. Their defensive impact on a game is suspect. Passed balls rare, even for LoDuca. Baserunners are not taught run on the catcher's arm, but on the pitcher.

3. They play fewer games than most offensive players thus they do not have the same impact offensively. The few ones who do play 130-140 games are often beat up and unable to perform at their best every day.

4. The talent level offensively at catcher is poor. Once you get past the top 5 or so, the difference between #6 and #25 is at most 50 points of OPS. It's not worth paying #6 money when he can be replaced by a much cheaper #25 with a marginal loss in offense.

568768[/snapback]

They were missing the chemistry they had last year and allowed small slumps to turn into protracted slumps. Was Ozzie Guillen's presence missed?

569063[/snapback]

Oh yeah of course, this team slumped because Ozzie Guillen wasn't in the clubhouse slapping asses. :lol :lol :lol :lol Get real.

1- I wasn't talking about that part really.

2- The catcher's control over a pitching staff is huge, but the only way to really know this is to be a long time catcher yourself. Also, in 03, no one ran on the Marlins, even though the pitchers weren't any quicker to the plate. Why didn't they? Ivan Rodriguez. July 31 and before, everyone ran on us. Why? Mike Redmond and Ramon Castro. August 1st til now, teams run but not as much. Why? Paul Lo Duca. No one sees this statwise, but it shows up in ERA. It's very important to have a presence behind the plate.

3- Very true, that's why defense is the most important thing for a catcher and how he controls the staff, not his bat. The bat is extra.

4- That's why when you have a top catcher, you don't let them go. Resign Paulie.

1. I think it should enter into the equation somewhere. Health risks go up and production goes down with age.

2. True on Pudge, but few teams halt their running games against antyone else. Teams were running on us before the trade because we were playing rookies, not because LoDuca has a better arm than Castro, Treanor, Willingham or Redmond. Teams always test opposing rookies.

3. No, that's why it's important to have two good bats capable of starting at the position and doing a passable job at 'all the little things'.

4. Considering their bat, defensive and 'all the little things' there's ten or twelve catchers I'd take over Paulie. Posada, Pudge, Varitek, Victor Martinez, Piazza (his bat is worth it), Lopez, Johnson, Kendall, Estrada, Ben Molina. And there's still A.J. Pierzynski, Mike Lieberthal, Joe Mauer and defensive stalwart Mike Matheny. Sure, many of those haven't been two-time all-stars. Then again many of them haven't had great first half to earn an injury-aided all-star appearance, they balance out their contributions over both halves of the year.

Oh, I don't think Paulie is the best C in the league. He is, however, the option that grants us the greatest chance for success. He's a Pudge clone without the anti-aircraft right shoulder. He's passionate and I think a better game caller. Plus, he's a solid three bat.

Plus, of those people you named, how many are leaving their teams anytime soon?

570461[/snapback]

Im not saying Willy is ready for catching either but just because Castro failed miserably doesnt mean any other rookie or youngster we would want to put behind the plate would do so too

570489[/snapback]

But why risk the same mistake twice. At least Castro tantalized us with his power off big league pitching in 2003, Willingham has only done that in the minors. LoDuca is a pretty sure thing behind the plate, I'd be seriously upset if we let him walk.

Guest marlins02

570461[/snapback]

570489[/snapback]

oh i understand that. im just saying, we already got a pretty good catcher and we saw what happened this year when we decided to go to a "rookie". why risk it again is all im saying.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.