Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Teen sues over Confederate flag prom dress

Featured Replies

LOL, what a redneck...

 

LEXINGTON, Kentucky (AP) -- A teenager is suing her school district for barring her from the prom last spring because she was wearing a dress styled as a large Confederate battle flag.

 

The lawsuit filed Monday in U.S. District Court claims the Greenup County district and administrators violated Jacqueline Duty's First Amendment right to free speech and her right to celebrate her heritage at predominantly white Russell High School's prom May 1. She also is suing for defamation, false imprisonment and assault.

 

"Her only dance for her senior prom was on the sidewalk to a song playing on the radio," said her lawyer, Earl-Ray Neal.

 

Duty, 19, is seeking actual and punitive damages in excess of $50,000.

 

She said she worked on the design for the dress for four years, though she acknowledged that some might find the Confederate flag offensive.

 

"Everyone has their own opinion. But that's not mine," she told reporters outside the courthouse. "I'm proud of where I came from and my background."

 

Duty, now a college student, said school officials told her before the prom not to wear the dress, but she didn't have another one and decided to see if administrators would change their minds.

 

According to her lawsuit, she was met outside by two police officers and principal Sean Howard. She said the principal intimidated her by striking the vehicle she was in.

 

School offices were closed Wednesday. Superintendent Ronnie Back did not immediately respond to a call to his home seeking comment.

 

The Sons of Confederate Veterans has promised to help pay some of her legal expenses.

 

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/12/22/co...s.ap/index.html

 

Pic of the dress:

You know she was just looking for trouble on purpose.

642759[/snapback]

Well, she's got the attention that she wanted, apparently.

You know she was just looking for trouble on purpose.

642759[/snapback]

Well, she's got the attention that she wanted, apparently.

642842[/snapback]

 

I dunno why she'd want attention... look at her mug. :plain

Erm, did she want to look like a drag queen?

Maybe next year she'll launch the Nazi line complete with swastika's on the sleeves.

 

It's sure to be a hit on the runways of Milan.

It's bad when people still have Kerry/Edwards stickers to support a cause that died two months ago. But the Confederate flag is just two much, a 150 year cause!!! The war is over people :lol

She can do w/e she wants and she should not have been banned from a public school prom for wearing the flag. This is a blatant assault on the 1st amendment. That being said why the hell does she have to wear such an ugly dress, and yes shes doin it just to cause a stir. however, the school failed the test by trampling on 1st amendment rights

She can do w/e she wants and she should not have been banned from a public school prom for wearing the flag. This is a blatant assault on the 1st amendment. That being said why the hell does she have to wear such an ugly dress, and yes shes doin it just to cause a stir. however, the school failed the test by trampling on 1st amendment rights

 

 

I doubt you would be so outraged if she was wearing a Kerry-Edwards dress. This is not an assault on the 1st amendment anymore than it is when schools tell kids they can't wear t-shirts promoting drug or alcohol usage.

She can do w/e she wants and she should not have been banned from a public school prom for wearing the flag. This is a blatant assault on the 1st amendment. That being said why the hell does she have to wear such an ugly dress, and yes shes doin it just to cause a stir. however, the school failed the test by trampling on 1st amendment rights

 

 

I doubt you would be so outraged if she was wearing a Kerry-Edwards dress. This is not an assault on the 1st amendment anymore than it is when schools tell kids they can't wear t-shirts promoting drug or alcohol usage.

643372[/snapback]

 

Actually if you read back to any of the posts i made critsizing people who did not allow others to wear kerry pins or what not you'd say im very consistent. The key here is that its a public school. And if a kid wants to wear a shirt that says shoot up heroin and f*** 100 women I wouldnt care either thats also protected by the 1st amendment

Duty, now a college student, said school officials told her before the prom not to wear the dress, but she didn't have another one and decided to see if administrators would change their minds.

That's why I think she's in the wrong. If she would have made a problem about the school not letting her wear the dress before the prom, then that's one thing. But asking, being told no, and then doing it anyways is just because she wants attention.

*sigh* this frustrates me. Not paticularly this issue but the whole confederate thing. I live far enough west of DC to be in an area where there are tons of confederate flags and whatnot. And I go to school in a small town in North Carolina. I don't get it. Why keep the confederate flag. What is it supporting? I don't even think they could really say what it supports anymore besides the "south".

 

A guy I work with at my church is insane. I have worked with him two days and so far he has told me: 1. Lincoln was worse than Hitler 2. Roosevelt was a communist and ruined the US dollar. 3. Tons of racist statements not to mention arguing with me over why women should not vote. I just let him go on his rants because I really don't want to argue with someone like that but seriously how can anyone believe to the heart these kinds of things. It is just confusing to me, but whatever floats their boat I guess. We all can have varying opinions but such ignorance makes me sad.

*sigh* this frustrates me. Not paticularly this issue but the whole confederate thing. I live far enough west of DC to be in an area where there are tons of confederate flags and whatnot. And I go to school in a small town in North Carolina. I don't get it. Why keep the confederate flag. What is it supporting? I don't even think they could really say what it supports anymore besides the "south".

 

A guy I work with at my church is insane. I have worked with him two days and so far he has told me: 1. Lincoln was worse than Hitler 2. Roosevelt was a communist and ruined the US dollar. 3. Tons of racist statements not to mention arguing with me over why women should not vote. I just let him go on his rants because I really don't want to argue with someone like that but seriously how can anyone believe to the heart these kinds of things. It is just confusing to me, but whatever floats their boat I guess. We all can have varying opinions but such ignorance makes me sad.

643596[/snapback]

 

His heart is in the right place on 1 and 2, hes just exagerrating.

*sigh* this frustrates me. Not paticularly this issue but the whole confederate thing. I live far enough west of DC to be in an area where there are tons of confederate flags and whatnot. And I go to school in a small town in North Carolina. I don't get it. Why keep the confederate flag. What is it supporting? I don't even think they could really say what it supports anymore besides the "south".

 

A guy I work with at my church is insane. I have worked with him two days and so far he has told me: 1. Lincoln was worse than Hitler 2. Roosevelt was a communist and ruined the US dollar. 3. Tons of racist statements not to mention arguing with me over why women should not vote. I just let him go on his rants because I really don't want to argue with someone like that but seriously how can anyone believe to the heart these kinds of things. It is just confusing to me, but whatever floats their boat I guess. We all can have varying opinions but such ignorance makes me sad.

643596[/snapback]

 

His heart is in the right place on 1 and 2, hes just exagerrating.

 

His heart is in the right place in comparing Lincoln to Hitler and calling Roosevelt a communist??? You're just as loopy as that guy is.

*sigh* this frustrates me. Not paticularly this issue but the whole confederate thing. I live far enough west of DC to be in an area where there are tons of confederate flags and whatnot. And I go to school in a small town in North Carolina. I don't get it. Why keep the confederate flag. What is it supporting? I don't even think they could really say what it supports anymore besides the "south".

 

A guy I work with at my church is insane. I have worked with him two days and so far he has told me: 1. Lincoln was worse than Hitler 2. Roosevelt was a communist and ruined the US dollar. 3. Tons of racist statements not to mention arguing with me over why women should not vote. I just let him go on his rants because I really don't want to argue with someone like that but seriously how can anyone believe to the heart these kinds of things. It is just confusing to me, but whatever floats their boat I guess. We all can have varying opinions but such ignorance makes me sad.

643596[/snapback]

 

His heart is in the right place on 1 and 2, hes just exagerrating.

 

His heart is in the right place in comparing Lincoln to Hitler and calling Roosevelt a communist??? You're just as loopy as that guy is.

644316[/snapback]

 

I think what cangelosi means is basically a reference to Lincolon being the closest a POTUS came to being dictatorial, I don't think he's saying the statement is correct, but that there is some truth despite the exaggerated Lincolon=Hitler, in the sense that I pointed out earlier in this paragraph. FDR did have what some could call socialist policies, but calling him a communist is also an exaggeration.

to many people the confederate flag represents state autonomy. something that lincoln stepped on many, many years ago.

*sigh* this frustrates me. Not paticularly this issue but the whole confederate thing. I live far enough west of DC to be in an area where there are tons of confederate flags and whatnot. And I go to school in a small town in North Carolina. I don't get it. Why keep the confederate flag. What is it supporting? I don't even think they could really say what it supports anymore besides the "south".

 

A guy I work with at my church is insane. I have worked with him two days and so far he has told me: 1. Lincoln was worse than Hitler 2. Roosevelt was a communist and ruined the US dollar. 3. Tons of racist statements not to mention arguing with me over why women should not vote. I just let him go on his rants because I really don't want to argue with someone like that but seriously how can anyone believe to the heart these kinds of things. It is just confusing to me, but whatever floats their boat I guess. We all can have varying opinions but such ignorance makes me sad.

643596[/snapback]

 

His heart is in the right place on 1 and 2, hes just exagerrating.

 

His heart is in the right place in comparing Lincoln to Hitler and calling Roosevelt a communist??? You're just as loopy as that guy is.

644316[/snapback]

 

I think what cangelosi means is basically a reference to Lincolon being the closest a POTUS came to being dictatorial, I don't think he's saying the statement is correct, but that there is some truth despite the exaggerated Lincolon=Hitler, in the sense that I pointed out earlier in this paragraph. FDR did have what some could call socialist policies, but calling him a communist is also an exaggeration.

644330[/snapback]

 

Exactly, and for all the liberals who compare Bush to Hitler, Lincoln was much much closer. In fact there was even a time when lincoln was ruling by decree

Comparing anybody to Hitler, especially nowadays, is ridiculous.

Comparing anybody to Hitler, especially nowadays, is ridiculous.

644346[/snapback]

 

Not really. And heres why. What exactly are we comparing to Hitler. I can compare someones economic policy to hitler. If i say Lincoln has a similar economic policy to hitler that does not mean that lincoln was antisemitic or genocidal. Forget the legend of hitler and focus on the individual segments of his political existence not just the genocidal one

Comparing anybody to Hitler, especially nowadays, is ridiculous.

644346[/snapback]

 

Not really. And heres why. What exactly are we comparing to Hitler. I can compare someones economic policy to hitler. If i say Lincoln has a similar economic policy to hitler that does not mean that lincoln was antisemitic or genocidal. Forget the legend of hitler and focus on the individual segments of his political existence not just the genocidal one

644348[/snapback]

 

Well, economically, yes. He was close to FDR economically with social programs and the such, and increasing military manufacturing.

 

If say, George W. Bush is comparable to Hitler, than every single non-Republican member of the congress would be dead. The US would also include Canada and Mexico just for the simple fact that we could easily take them over.

Comparing anybody to Hitler, especially nowadays, is ridiculous.

644346[/snapback]

 

Not really. And heres why. What exactly are we comparing to Hitler. I can compare someones economic policy to hitler. If i say Lincoln has a similar economic policy to hitler that does not mean that lincoln was antisemitic or genocidal. Forget the legend of hitler and focus on the individual segments of his political existence not just the genocidal one

644348[/snapback]

 

Well, economically, yes. He was close to FDR economically with social programs and the such, and increasing military manufacturing.

 

If say, George W. Bush is comparable to Hitler, than every single non-Republican member of the congress would be dead. The US would also include Canada and Mexico just for the simple fact that we could easily take them over.

644350[/snapback]

 

yep thats exactly right. maybe someone can choose to compare a certain bush policy to a hitler policy but thats as far as it goes

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.