Yankees 2005 payroll

floridafan13

Yankees 2005 Projected Payroll

By The Associated Press

NEW YORK ? The 2005 salaries for projected players on the New York Yankees. Figures were obtained by The Associated Press from management and player sources and include salaries and pro-rated shares of signing bonuses and other guaranteed income. For Alex Rodriguez and Gary Sheffield, parts of salaries deferred without interest are discounted to reflect present-day values (x-approximate pending final calculation of discounting):

NEW YORK YANKEES

x-Alex Rodriguez $25,700,000

Derek Jeter 19,600,000

Mike Mussina 19,000,000

Randy Johnson 16,500,000

Kevin Brown 15,714,286

Jason Giambi 13,428,571

Bernie Williams 12,357,143

x-Gary Sheffield 11,701,090

Jorge Posada 11,000,000

Mariano Rivera 10,500,000

Carl Pavano 9,000,000

Hideki Matsui 8,000,000

Jaret Wright 7,000,000

Steve Karsay 5,000,000

Mike Stanton 4,000,000

Tom Gordon 3,750,000

Felix Rodriguez 3,150,000

Paul Quantrill 3,000,000

Tino Martinez 2,750,000

Tony Womack 2,000,000

John Flaherty 800,000

Tanyon Sturtze arbitration

Bubba Crosby unsigned

Total 203,951,090

Possible additions

Carlos Beltran ??,???,???

Ruben Sierra ?,???,???

:o Unbelievable. :banghead

I hate both Red Sox and Yanks. More so the Sox now because they consider last year a miracle....

Yeah, the 2nd highest payroll in baseball wins it all....

I think that hole 0-3 deficit was staged....

645875[/snapback]

They beat the team with the highest payroll and the team with the most wins. Their payroll was a distant 2nd as well.

No team has come back from 0-3. I dont see that happening again.

When you end an 86 year drought, its gonan be a miracle too.

Get off ur money bitching.....

MAKES ME SICK!!!...stupid yankees! :mad

i sorta agree with you maniac....i mean..i was happy and glad the sox won...i thought it was an incredible comeback..but i still dont want to give them TOO much credit. Im glad they are all excited about breaking the curse and everything..but i dont like how they are making it seem like it was a total miracle..when they had the second highest payroll(i dont care if it was a distant 2nd...it was still higher than every other team but 1) ....A team like the Marlins beating the Yankees...now THAT was incredible!! :D

The Yankees will reportedly have to pay more than the entire Tampa Bay Devil Rays' current payroll in luxury tax expenses. Now that's insane.

They have already managed to reach over $200 million for next year, before you include Beltran, who would add another $13-17 million to that total. It goes up even higher if they also shell out money for Carlos Delgado.

I hate both Red Sox and Yanks. More so the Sox now because they consider last year a miracle....

645875[/snapback]

Agreed.

645875[/snapback]

They beat the team with the highest payroll and the team with the most wins. Their payroll was a distant 2nd as well.

645879[/snapback]

It not just that I hate their money spending...I hate their owner for obvious reasons.

I think its great for Boston, to finnaly get a WS title in such a long time. However, I hate how their organization is run. Last year, they were ready to trade Manny and David for A-Rod...

Yeah, That'd be smart.....

I just hate them. It's not a miracle. Its about time.Im just glad I don't have to hear the whinning anymore. And I hope the cubs never win one either.

Good for them. An owner that actually spends money.

Why won't that billionaire in Minnesota chip in for that new ballpark he wants (or $3 million to keep David Ortiz)? Why is the owner of Devil Rays more interested in the latest bargain bin PR stunt than talented ballplayers? The Angels' Moreno slashing payroll after their best year at the gate? Mets? Phillies? Cubs? Dodgers? Red Sox? The new Braves? All these 'small market' teams earning loads of revenue from new publically-built ballparks?

Those owners are the ones that deserve every fan's scorn.

Why won't that billionaire in Minnesota chip in for that new ballpark he wants (or $3 million to keep David Ortiz)? Why is the owner of Devil Rays more interested in the latest bargain bin PR stunt than talented ballplayers? The Angels' Moreno slashing payroll after their best year at the gate? Mets? Phillies? Cubs? Dodgers? Red Sox? The new Braves? All these 'small market' teams earning loads of revenue from new publically-built ballparks?

646027[/snapback]

646027[/snapback]

Well said. Also, I'm pretty sure that the Minnesota owner is richer than Steinbrenner.

It's not comparable. Steinbrenner makes a ridiculous profit off the Yanks, more so than the rest of the league combined, or perhaps 5 times as much as the Sox who are in second.

Baseball is a business, Steinbrenner is getting rich while spending this ridiculous money. There are other owners that are wealtheir but none that can spend anywhere close to what George does and make profits.

With that said, the Yanks aren't the only problem in baseball...too many people love to hate the Yanks so much that they don't understand that teams like the Sox and to a lesser extent (atleast recently) the Angels are definitely contributing to the competitive imbalance in baseball. If they wanted to be sincere and intelligent they'd make sure to make their case stronger by including those such teams, but hating the Yanks is a fad now and god forbid we don't follow it.

645875[/snapback]

645879[/snapback]

It not just that I hate their money spending...I hate their owner for obvious reasons.

I think its great for Boston, to finnaly get a WS title in such a long time. However, I hate how their organization is run. Last year, they were ready to trade Manny and David for A-Rod...

Yeah, That'd be smart.....

I just hate them. It's not a miracle. Its about time.Im just glad I don't have to hear the whinning anymore. And I hope the cubs never win one either.

646020[/snapback]

David Ortiz was neevr going to be in the A-Rod deal.

Still you have to commend Steinbrenner for taking control of the NY and international markets and being the first to recognize the profitability of his own regional sports network. You have to invest money to get money, and the Yankees do so in a way that benefits themselves and their fans. There's very few owners like him, and I would for the sake of all fans AND in the interests of competitive balance .

And I don't see what's the big deal about competitive balance. They never had a shot before. There's never been competitive balance in baseball. Not in the 'good old days'. Not in the free agency era. Marginally in the 1980s with the financial and playoff systems were more favorable to large-revenue teams.

Who care's if 10 teams enter the season with no shot? They took themselves out of competition with bad personnel mistakes and/or having an owner more interested in owning a baseball team to turn it over (plus a new ballpark) for more cash than fielding a good team. It's not the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, or even Marlins' job to reward these teams for failing.

Stop complaining about the payroll. Huge payroll does not mean WS victory. Yanks have been #1 in spending for the past 4 years and did they win? Nope.

So what do you care if they spend so much? Some of the luxury tax does return to the Marlins, although I doubt it goes farther than Loria's pockets. Bottom line, spending that much money doesn't mean anything is for certain.

Still you have to commend Steinbrenner for taking control of the NY and international markets and being the first to recognize the profitability of his own regional sports network. You have to invest money to get money, and the Yankees do so in a way that benefits themselves and their fans. There's very few owners like him, and I would for the sake of all fans AND in the interests of competitive balance .

And I don't see what's the big deal about competitive balance. They never had a shot before. There's never been competitive balance in baseball. Not in the 'good old days'. Not in the free agency era. Marginally in the 1980s with the financial and playoff systems were more favorable to large-revenue teams.

Who care's if 10 teams enter the season with no shot? They took themselves out of competition with bad personnel mistakes and/or having an owner more interested in owning a baseball team to turn it over (plus a new ballpark) for more cash than fielding a good team. It's not the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, or even Marlins' job to reward these teams for failing.

646247[/snapback]

The competitve imbalance has grown alot worse toward the end of the 90s and into this decade much more so than at any time previous.

Plus we are talking about consistency here, the Marlins were a fluke. They couldn't sustain their championship caliber team and now the A's are folding as well. It's not only the badly managed teams that get dealt a heavy blow by the way things are in baseball.

No one is blaming the Yanks, Sox or Angels for being what they are. They are abusing a system that is leaving itself open to vulnerability. There does need to be something done to allow small market teams some shot to remain competitive and not have to hope for a fluke season like the Marlins.

Stop complaining about the payroll. Huge payroll does not mean WS victory. Yanks have been #1 in spending for the past 4 years and did they win? Nope.

So what do you care if they spend so much? Some of the luxury tax does return to the Marlins, although I doubt it goes farther than Loria's pockets. Bottom line, spending that much money doesn't mean anything is for certain.

646647[/snapback]

There are no guarantees, especially with the post season being as short as it is. However, the Yanks and the Sox are guaranteed playoff spots because they fork over the money they do. Suddenly their chances of winning the WS are increased tremendously knowing that they will be in the playoffs no matter what.

There are no guarantees, especially with the post season being as short as it is. However, the Yanks and the Sox are guaranteed playoff spots because they fork over the money they do. Suddenly their chances of winning the WS are increased tremendously knowing that they will be in the playoffs no matter what.

646652[/snapback]

Do you think they fork over that kind of money just to get into the playoffs? These teams who spend that much and don't win the WS, consider the whole season a real wash. Spending money isn't a guarantee of anything. Look at the Mets.

Guest Juanky

I can understand why people hate the Yankees for spending so much. Hell, I'm not too fond of their payroll being a fan of a team that in a good season will pass 60 mill while NY is crapping out 3 times that for breakfast. But Steinbrenner can afford a 300 million dollar payroll and still make money on the Yankees. He's got all this money and he chooses to put it into his baseball team instead of into a new yacht, you have to give him props for that.

No one posting in here would mind if he owned the team they rooted for.

646652[/snapback]

Do you think they fork over that kind of money just to get into the playoffs? These teams who spend that much and don't win the WS, consider the whole season a real wash. Spending money isn't a guarantee of anything. Look at the Mets.

646660[/snapback]

You do realize that if you make the playoffs you have a 1/8 chance of winning? Money doesn't guarantee anything, but is sure helps your odds.