Concerns for 2005!

Hollyberry

Whats your biggest concern for the Marlins in 2005?

My biggest concern are the starting pitchers..all of the pitchers have great potential. I am mostly worried about Beckett and Dontrelle. Hopefully Beckett will stop getting those blisters and Dontrelle to get into a goove :mischief2

But I think the will be fine!

Yeah, the starting pitchers are my concern also this year. Even though we add Al Lieter, but got rid of are two best pitchers last year Pavono and Benitez not to mention Penny. Well I guess you have to sacrifice to get new talents. I just hope we don't get rid of Cabrera that kid is just going to keep on getting better. he reminds me of A-Rod or Juan Gonzalez. Does anyone know how much long his contract is? They should extend it soon.

I am not too concerned with our SP. We have 3 very talented young guns, plus an older, talented, and still very effective pitcher. Chances are that out of the four pitchers at least one of them will have a standout year. Exhibit A: Carl Pavano last year. Exhibit B: D-Train the year before. We had 4 talented starters at the beginning of last year: Penny, Beckett, Willis, and Pavano (Burnett was on the DL). Pavano came through for us on his walk off year, and I have a feeling Burnett will also. Hopefully Beckett can stay healthy and Willis can gain some velocity on his fastball and learn from Leiter. And Leiter can be himself and give us 12-14 wins.

The main thing for this pitching rotation is staying healthy. But, if they don't stay healthy, I think we have enough talent in the minors to fill in admirably. We can bring up Olsen or Bazardo if we sustain injuries. I wouldn't be surprised if we got another D-Train this year in case of injury.

And don't underestimate what good run support can do for a pitching staff. Look at St. Louis last year.

No, how far this team goes does not depend on Beckett and Burnett. The reality is this offense will produce a lot of runs... we just need them to pitch like they did last year or the year before and we'll be fine. I predict we'll score 825-875 runs. We just need to give up under 700 to do very well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.