February 9, 200521 yr Wanna know what's wrong with baseball today?? Check out A.J.'s quote in the Sun Sentinel piece posted by Teal Shadow: "Healthy season," said Burnett, who's spent time on the disabled list each of the last five seasons. "That's all I need, 34 healthy starts. I'm not going to set any goals besides that," What other goals could there be, after all?? Winning games?? How 'bout having a sub-4.00 ERA?? Winning a World Series?? Nah. :banghead 680196[/snapback] What he's saying is what all of you Marlin fans have been saying since he came up, there's no question the talent is there he just needs to stay healthy. He knows what he's capable, he just needs to stay healthy to do it. 681049[/snapback] :mischief2
February 9, 200521 yr If the Marlins can, they should trade him to a certain Puerto Rican pitcher of equal talent with a four-year contract. 680486[/snapback] I don't know if you were kidding, but I agree.
February 9, 200521 yr Anyone who heard AJ on 790 this morning with Joe Rose knows AJ is out for AJ. He reiterated his 34 quality starts, downplayed a "team" effort and made it clear he wants to mimic Pavano's off-season adventure.
February 9, 200521 yr I've been ranting about how the marlins should trade AJ since last season ended.
February 9, 200521 yr It would be cheaper to bring back penny? I know that might be a down grade, but if its more reasonable maybe we could bring back penny who just signed a 1 year 5 mil deal
February 9, 200521 yr It would be cheaper to bring back penny? I know that might be a down grade, but if its more reasonable maybe we could bring back penny who just signed a 1 year 5 mil deal 681078[/snapback] Penny is going to be a free agent next year, the thing is ithink the marlisn traded penny b/c they see him as a carrer ending injury waiting to happen. Whether they're right or wrong remains to be seen of course
February 9, 200521 yr ok, but that doesnt mean that he couldnt be a replacement for Burnett. I am sure if Penny has a good year, the marlins would be interested. Anyways lets worry about next year, next year. Last year we were worried about pavano leaving, and now look at us, we have become favorites in the NL
February 9, 200521 yr ok, but that doesnt mean that he couldnt be a replacement for Burnett. I am sure if Penny has a good year, the marlins would be interested. Anyways lets worry about next year, next year. Last year we were worried about pavano leaving, and now look at us, we have become favorites in the NL 681086[/snapback] i agree..... :thumbup ..... but burnett is still an ass :thumbdown :thumbdown
February 9, 200521 yr I really am sick of AJ Burnett, the sad thing is the times i've met him he's been a great guy, but this is not what this team needs, they need to trade him if a team offers enough.
February 9, 200521 yr I really am sick of AJ Burnett, the sad thing is the times i've met him he's been a great guy, but this is not what this team needs, they need to trade him if a team offers enough. 681092[/snapback] They can't and won't trade him in the season...if we're in a pennant race, we don't trade one of the top-10 arms in baseball (although it's a bottom-5 head), under any circumstances. What I wouldn't be shocked to see happen is us go and give up some quality lower level players to get an available arm (Zito, Vazquez, Sheets, etc) knowing that we'd be able to replace the players through the compensatory picks we'd get if AJ leaves.
February 9, 200521 yr I really am sick of AJ Burnett, the sad thing is the times i've met him he's been a great guy, but this is not what this team needs, they need to trade him if a team offers enough. 681092[/snapback] They can't and won't trade him in the season...if we're in a pennant race, we don't trade one of the top-10 arms in baseball (although it's a bottom-5 head), under any circumstances. What I wouldn't be shocked to see happen is us go and give up some quality lower level players to get an available arm (Zito, Vazquez, Sheets, etc) knowing that we'd be able to replace the players through the compensatory picks we'd get if AJ leaves. 681123[/snapback] :thumbup
February 10, 200521 yr You guys are unbelievable! What do you want the guy to say? Um... I think I'll sign with the Marlins for 5-7 million a year because I'm loyal to them. Please!!! There are no loyalties in sports. Why should there be? AJ Burnett has to look out for his future and family. If he feels he can sign a Carl Pavano type contract in the off-season... why shouldn't he give it a shot? He's in his prime and this will be the only time in his life he'll have a chance to make that much money. As for his 34 healthy starts comment? I think it's pretty obvious: He knows if he makes 34 "healthy" starts, he'll win 16-18 games, strikeout over 200 and have a sub 3.50 ERA.
February 10, 200521 yr It would be cheaper to bring back penny? I know that might be a down grade, but if its more reasonable maybe we could bring back penny who just signed a 1 year 5 mil deal 681078[/snapback] Penny is going to be a free agent next year, the thing is ithink the marlisn traded penny b/c they see him as a carrer ending injury waiting to happen. Whether they're right or wrong remains to be seen of course 681083[/snapback] :mad What revisionist history regarding Penny's career! He had been the most consistent and durable of the trio.
February 10, 200521 yr You guys are unbelievable! What do you want the guy to say? Um... I think I'll sign with the Marlins for 5-7 million a year because I'm loyal to them. Please!!! There are no loyalties in sports. Why should there be? AJ Burnett has to look out for his future and family. If he feels he can sign a Carl Pavano type contract in the off-season... why shouldn't he give it a shot? He's in his prime and this will be the only time in his life he'll have a chance to make that much money. As for his 34 healthy starts comment? I think it's pretty obvious: He knows if he makes 34 "healthy" starts, he'll win 16-18 games, strikeout over 200 and have a sub 3.50 ERA. 681408[/snapback] doctor10 Welcome, the AJ goes deeper than just wanting to test the free agent market. He has rubbed the fans the wrong way with his statement about getting tried of playing in front of 2000 people and doesn't blame Carl for leaving for that reason. His statements always come off as selfish player Going back to his arm injuries and blaming the organization.WHY? doesn't he know his own body. I don't blame the organization for that going no higher than 2 years on a contract for him. History of arm troubles and high maintenance make him a very high risk player for a team that has to have all its players proforming up to there contracts. I hope the organization and AJ come to an agreement , but I don't see it at this time. AJ is determined to get out here and test the market. I hope I'm wrong in the end
February 10, 200521 yr You guys are unbelievable!? What do you want the guy to say?? Um... I think I'll sign with the Marlins for 5-7 million a year because I'm loyal to them.? Please!!! There are no loyalties in sports.? Why should there be?? AJ Burnett has to look out for his future and family.? If he feels he can sign a Carl Pavano type contract in the off-season... why shouldn't he give it a shot?? He's in his prime and this will be the only time in his life he'll have a chance to make that much money. As for his 34 healthy starts comment?? I think it's pretty obvious:? He knows if he makes 34 "healthy" starts, he'll win 16-18 games, strikeout over 200 and have a sub 3.50 ERA. 681408[/snapback] doctor10 Welcome, the AJ goes deeper than just wanting to test the free agent market. He has rubbed the fans the wrong way with his statement about getting tried of playing in front of 2000 people and doesn't blame Carl for leaving for that reason. His statements always come off as selfish player Going back to his arm injuries and blaming the organization.WHY? doesn't he know his own body. I don't blame the organization for that going no higher than 2 years on a contract for him. History of arm troubles and high maintenance make him a very high risk player for a team that has to have all its players proforming up to there contracts. I hope the organization and AJ come to agreement , but I don't see at this time. AJ is determined to get out here and test the market. I hope I'm wrong in the end 681446[/snapback] I don't blame the Marlins at all for offering a lesser deal. Signing AJ for a large amount of money over 3-4 years is a major risk. I'm just looking at it from AJ's point of view. By the way, I've always thought him to be very cocky (just like many others on this forum), but I can't deny his talent. He's a brash and cocky guy. He can rub people the wrong way (as evidenced by your examples), but he's a guy I like to have on our side. I think the chances are slim that he stays after this season, but who knows? You're right that he seems pretty hell-bent to test the market.
February 10, 200521 yr I really am sick of AJ Burnett, the sad thing is the times i've met him he's been a great guy, but this is not what this team needs, they need to trade him if a team offers enough. 681092[/snapback] They can't and won't trade him in the season...if we're in a pennant race, we don't trade one of the top-10 arms in baseball (although it's a bottom-5 head), under any circumstances. What I wouldn't be shocked to see happen is us go and give up some quality lower level players to get an available arm (Zito, Vazquez, Sheets, etc) knowing that we'd be able to replace the players through the compensatory picks we'd get if AJ leaves. 681123[/snapback] Ben Sheets would be a much bigger pickup than delgado if we could sign him long term but i sure as hell aint countin on it omg that would be crazy ok, i'm letting it go now
February 10, 200521 yr if he pulls a pavano by having a monster year, i'll be happy. 681573[/snapback] Exactly. Let's worry about this year first. We have a great chance to win the division for the first time. With all this talk about testing the market, you know AJ is motivated to have a career year. :thumbup
February 10, 200521 yr Sure would be nice to make a trade that helps the team win this year and the year after and the year after that and the year after that.
February 10, 200521 yr Sure would be nice to make a trade that helps the team win this year and the year after and the year after that and the year after that. 681592[/snapback] Sure. Or bolster the rotation in the off-season. We also have some good arms coming up in the next year or so. And don't we have 4 or 5 picks in the first and sandwich rounds this year? Our future looks pretty good.
February 10, 200521 yr would you guys be willing to give up hermida for Sheets? i would if we could get that 48 window the D'Backs offered w/ randy to get a contract extension done... we'd prolly have to throw in olsen too
February 10, 200521 yr would you guys be willing to give up hermida for Sheets? i would if we could get that 48 window the D'Backs offered w/ randy to get a contract extension done... we'd prolly have to throw in olsen too 681607[/snapback] No. Hermida is going to be our starting RFer next year....and what a trio we will have out there. :thumbup
February 10, 200521 yr would you guys be willing to give up hermida for Sheets? i would if we could get that 48 window the D'Backs offered w/ randy to get a contract extension done... we'd prolly have to throw in olsen too 681607[/snapback] No. Hermida is going to be our starting RFer next year....and what a trio we will have out there. :thumbup 681611[/snapback] Sheets is, imo, worth it if we can get the contract extension a large if indeed 2004: 2.70 ERA, 264 K's 12-14 for a horrendous brewers team that 18 K game he had against the Braves was... ughhh...
February 10, 200521 yr If we had another good position prospect anywhere in minors... absolutly. Since we don't... maybe.
February 10, 200521 yr would you guys be willing to give up hermida for Sheets? i would if we could get that 48 window the D'Backs offered w/ randy to get a contract extension done... we'd prolly have to throw in olsen too 681607[/snapback] No, and I'll tell you why: 1) He's the best left handed hitting prospect we have (maybe ever) and as far as his pedigree goes, he's the most polished high-school hitter since Eric Chavez. 2) We have no one else who can produce in all aspects of the game like he can for a rookie salary. 3) If we're now willing to give up Hermida, it really stings because if we had decided to do this 2 1/2 months ago it could have gotten us Hudson and kept him out of Atlanta. I say no freakin' way do we trade Hermida, not for anyone. Olsen? Bazardo? Vargas? Tankersly? Fine, any of those guys I could see the reasoning behind trading (although we better come away with some serious quality), but not a potential all-star (left handed) right fielder.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.