Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

AJ Burnett trying to pull a Carl Pavano

Featured Replies

If 3 years $21 million is what it would take to keep in here, then i say jump on it. i understand that they want to see how his arm will hold up, but damn what a bargain.

 

:mischief

I forget which poster suggested it, but Loria and Beinfest need to ask Burnett if he will come back if they matched any other team's offer. If there's the slightest bit of doubt in Loria and Beinfest's mind that A.J. would bolt, you have to trade him. Immediately. Before he enters the clubhouse. Well before the All-Star break when the competitive teams interested in his services would be unwilling to give up good major league players. Well before the two sides begin snipping at eachother, and the drawn-out negotiations and bidding complicate the Marlins' offseason plans.

yea but a.j. doesnt want that 3-21 deal anymore, he wants a pavano deal. 40-4 years

678820[/snapback]

If he wants to avoid free agency, he might.

678823[/snapback]

 

 

he doesnt want to avoid it.

What it comes down to what risk is Burnett willing to take: security in the form of a modest deal now; or trust in his own abilites and health and hope for a big day later.

 

Only Burnett knows, but as a competitive professional athlete whose public statements show extreme confidence (cockiness) he may choose the latter.

If he goes 9-0, then I say trade him at the all-star break for a huge package!!

678599[/snapback]

 

 

I agree if we cant sign him by the middle of the year then trade him.

678604[/snapback]

If he is 9-0 that means this team is likely in the playoff and WS hunt and when it comes down to either losing AJ to free agency or winning a WS I say win the WS and keep his ass in Florida for six months :owned :goodpost

good god... here we go again, maybe leiter can talk burnett into staying loyal with a team... much like he tried to stay in NY... (good thing he didnt) :thumbup ... so anyways... even if we offered him a 3 @ 21million deal, he wouldnt take it... unless we win the WS

Here's my take on it (borrowing Marlins2003 philosophy):

 

what may sweeten this deal to the point it can't be refused is if we renegotiate this year's figure to be part of a 4/$28 deal, meaning he gets a 3 year extension and an increased amount for this year.

 

The extension will be for less than he could get if healthy and productive this season (both still very much up in the air), but nearly doubling his 2005 salary may be too sweet of an offer to pass up.

 

And before anyone flames me, remember that we're dealing with what I (and many here) to be a top-5 pitching talent. Signing him will take concessions on the part of both parties, which is why we'd have to bite the bullet in doubling his salary, and he'd have to be willing to sign for less than what we'd anticipate a healthy AJ to go for on the open market.

I think this is a good thing for the Marlins . If this guy is going to play the way he says he will he deserves every penny . Second like everyone else stated , he goes 9-0 and we will be WS bound . No matter if they dont reach an agreement by All-star break he still has to keep his Numbers up so someone will pay him what he thinks he is worth . Thats why I have a feeling Juan Encarnacion is going to play his heart out this year also . You dont produce you wont get a good contract .

Pro athletes have a tendency of playing their ass off in there last year of contract obligations. :thumbup

Now that someone mentioned Al Leiter, he was wearing a Marlins warmup in the Super Bowl hole in one challenge on FOX today, while I didn't see anyone else for baseball actively representing their team.

It looks like Burnet, wants a good deal for him this is quote from the sunsentinel

 

"We'll talk, but as far as I'm concerned I'm pretty much going to test the waters if I have a healthy season," Burnett said. "Free agency looks like a fun time."

what if he doesn't have a healthy season then its ok to stay with the team I said offer him a 3 year deal for about $21 and if he does not take it, trade him now.

AJ has always done what's best for AJ and this should come as no surprise to anyone.

 

Life goes on.

 

There will be other pitchers in Marlins uniforms in the future regardless of what AJ does or doesn't do. You'll notice he says (paraphrasing) "if I'm healthy all season" which ought to set off warning bells to anyone reading his comments. "If" he's healthy all season he's prepared to shun the Marlins for greener pastures, if he isn't he'll try to stick the Fish with a one year deal until he can prove himself.

 

AJ is one terrific pitcher when he's healthy, but I don't know what kind of person he is. Sadly, he's lost all credibility with me. I hope he helps lead theFish to another post-season but I'm not counting on him in 2006.

I think it's ignorant to wait. This is a guy that every knows has the stuff to match any pitcher in the game. If he has the season I think he will, it could be potentially impossible to re-sign him. If we sign him now at 3-years $21 Million, considering this year's past market, that would be a bargain even if he is injury-prone or simply above average.

if you greed out I hope you find yourself like pudge...playing for a loser for life.

 

You mean just like Carl Pavano?

 

:whistle

Wanna know what's wrong with baseball today? Check out A.J.'s quote in the Sun Sentinel piece posted by Teal Shadow:

 

"Healthy season," said Burnett, who's spent time on the disabled list each of the last five seasons. "That's all I need, 34 healthy starts. I'm not going to set any goals besides that,"

 

What other goals could there be, after all? Winning games? How 'bout having a sub-4.00 ERA? Winning a World Series? Nah.

 

:banghead

Wanna know what's wrong with baseball today? Check out A.J.'s quote in the Sun Sentinel piece posted by Teal Shadow:

 

"Healthy season," said Burnett, who's spent time on the disabled list each of the last five seasons. "That's all I need, 34 healthy starts. I'm not going to set any goals besides that,"

 

What other goals could there be, after all? Winning games? How 'bout having a sub-4.00 ERA? Winning a World Series? Nah.

 

:banghead

680196[/snapback]

 

I think he is assuming that people realize how good he is, that he shouldn't need to make a goal of 3.5 ERA that such a number should be expected.

I think it's ignorant to wait. This is a guy that every knows has the stuff to match any pitcher in the game. If he has the season I think he will, it could be potentially impossible to re-sign him. If we sign him now at 3-years $21 Million, considering this year's past market, that would be a bargain even if he is injury-prone or simply above average.

680177[/snapback]

 

I agree, when I heard that he set his price at 3/$21, I'm amazed the Marlins didn't jump at it.

well, whatever marlins games I go to this season Im gonna walk around with a coffee tin sponsoring the "Re-sign AJ Fund"... hopefully I can raise the 21 million in pennies before hes a free agent

Let it play out, if we don't resign AJ we'll get someone else...

680348[/snapback]

What I worry is that the Burnett bidding will extend so long that it prevents the team's offseason plans.

 

If the Marlins can, they should trade him to a certain Puerto Rican pitcher of equal talent with a four-year contract.

guys this ass wants to play for the yankees....notice he never said nothing before we signed delgado...jeez now i wish we had brad penny back..this guy is an ass..

Wanna know what's wrong with baseball today? Check out A.J.'s quote in the Sun Sentinel piece posted by Teal Shadow:

 

"Healthy season," said Burnett, who's spent time on the disabled list each of the last five seasons. "That's all I need, 34 healthy starts. I'm not going to set any goals besides that,"

 

What other goals could there be, after all? Winning games? How 'bout having a sub-4.00 ERA? Winning a World Series? Nah.

 

:banghead

680196[/snapback]

 

What he's saying is what all of you Marlin fans have been saying since he came up, there's no question the talent is there he just needs to stay healthy. He knows what he's capable, he just needs to stay healthy to do it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.