AJ Burnett trying to pull a Carl Pavano

IsmokeDaGoodZhit

Free agency interests Burnett

BARRY JACKSON

bjackson@herald.com

If A.J. Burnett weren't less than two years removed from elbow surgery, the move would be a no-brainer. Still, the Marlins are taking a risk if they don't work out a multiyear deal with their best starting pitcher.

Through his agent, Burnett recently told the Marlins he was interested in a long-term contract similar to the one they offered Carl Pavano (three years, $21 million), sources say. The Marlins responded by floating a number of $15 million for three years, then bumped it to $16 million.

Burnett -- who will earn $3.65 million in 2005 -- is open to further talks this season, but he said last week that he now leans toward free agency next winter. Next offseason's free-agent pitching class is weak beyond Burnett, Brad Penny and Tim Hudson.

''I was hoping for the best but expecting the worst,'' Burnett said of his discussions about a long-term contract. ``It would have had to be exactly the right number. Hopefully, when I start off 9-0, they'll bring me another contract.

''But I don't see myself signing long-term here [before the season ends]. I have a chance to do something that Carl did [four years, $39.9 million with the Yankees].'' He said as a free agent, he still would consider the Marlins.

The Marlins apparently want to see how the right-hander's pitching elbow holds up. Burnett missed most of 2003 and the first two months of 2004, then came back strong (7-6, 3.68 ERA in 20 games, including 6-1, 2.89 in his last 10 starts).

But Burnett, 28, missed most of the last three weeks of 2004 with elbow inflammation, then returned on the final day to pitch two dominating innings against Philadelphia.

''The way it feels now, I have no concern whatsoever,'' he said.

Burnett said when the Marlins signed Carlos Delgado, ``my first reaction was that's cool. Then I thought we could have kept Derrek Lee and Pudge Rodriguez. But this will take us where we need to go. We should win it all. I'm going to learn from Al Leiter. I hope he can reach some other guys on our staff and turn them in the right direction.''

Good for him if he wants to take the risk. I think we all know that when healthy, he can be better than Pavano. He's got some of the best stuff in the game.

The Marlins are doing the right thing by giving him a reasonable offer, but AJ knows that if he puts together a big season... he'll cash in! That said, it's a risk for him considering his injury history. :mischief2

Burnett will get WAY more than Carl ... Burnett " IF HEATHLY " is the one of the top 5 pitchers in the league...and I would go as far as to say that he can be the "best" pitcher in the league for the next 3 or 4 seasons. Personally I wish our Fish would have JUMPED on the 3 yr 21 million dollar contract AJ was seeking.

And I know AJ is cocky, arrogant and ungrateful...but being ungrateful is the nature of pro sports now (its get all you can get).

AJ I hope you sign with us...if you greed out I hope you find yourself like pudge...playing for a loser for life.

Burnett will get WAY more than Carl ... Burnett " IF HEATHLY " is the one of the top 5 pitchers in the league...and I would go as far as to say that he can be the "best" pitcher in the league for the next 3 or 4 seasons. Personally I wish our Fish would have JUMPED on the 3 yr 21 million dollar contract AJ was seeking.

And I know AJ is cocky, arrogant and ungrateful...but being ungrateful is the nature of pro sports now (its get all you can get).

AJ I hope you sign with us...if you greed out I hope you find yourself like pudge...playing for a loser for life.

678564[/snapback]

I guess I see all this from a different angle but why is it "Greed" to want think about free agency where for the first time in a players career (except maybe college) they may have "choice" in who they play for and where. Why is it "greed" to want more money?

I mean...would you guys turn down a pay raise?? Sure the market is out of control but you have got to understand that's why these guys work so hard. It's not the easy carefree life that you think it is. The best players are compensated well. That's not greed...it's the American way. You guys are just jealous. I guess those minimum wage jobs don't leave much room for improvement! :D

(Oh and by the way....Uncle Sam and all the local governments located in the cities they play in....love them because the are taxed up to their necks. The fans don't know that every player on every team has to pay taxes to each MLB city they play in. I think that's quite a haul for those "greedy" bastards!)

Burnett will get WAY more than Carl ... Burnett " IF HEATHLY " is the one of the top 5 pitchers in the league...and I would go as far as to say that he can be the "best" pitcher in the league for the next 3 or 4 seasons.? Personally I wish our Fish would have JUMPED on the 3 yr 21 million dollar contract AJ was seeking.

678564[/snapback]

I guess I see all this from a different angle but why is it "Greed" to want think about free agency where for the first time in a players career (except maybe college) they may have "choice" in who they play for and where. Why is it "greed" to want more money?

I mean...would you guys turn down a pay raise?? Sure the market is out of control but you have got to understand that's why these guys work so hard. It's not the easy carefree life that you think it is. The best players are compensated well. That's not greed...it's the American way. You guys are just jealous. I guess those minimum wage jobs don't leave much room for improvement! :D

(Oh and by the way....Uncle Sam and all the local governments located in the cities they play in....love them because the are taxed up to their necks. The fans don't know that every player on every team has to pay taxes to each MLB city they play in. I think that's quite a haul for those "greedy" bastards!)

678565[/snapback]

i agree. its not really greed, hes just looking out for himself. its a good position to be in.

678564[/snapback]

As others have pointed out already, it's hard to fault the guy for wanting to make big money. I mean really, how often do you have to make that much money during your life? He's entering the prime of his career, and he knows how good he can be.

I hope he stays in South Florida, but he'd be silly "not" to go somewhere else if he can make millions more.

I always have been in favor of signing him to a long term contract...Even if we dont want to pay a lot, we can always trade AJ for a star player in return and rid ourselves of his contract.

Now come october...we will lose him as we did Carl and get what? What did we get for Carl?

Fact is if we would have extended Carls contract in spring training last season...we could have gotten something more than nothing for him in return. I'd hate to lose AJ without getting nothing in return.

Guest markotsay7

Should've traded him. :whistle

678567[/snapback]

Agreed.

The kid is amazing but he has serious personality problems.

Hopefully, when I start off 9-0, they'll bring me another contract.

You just don't say stuff like that.

678564[/snapback]

Pudge was different. Pudge actually lived in Miami Beach when he was on Texas.

I agree AJ has earned the right to test the market if he chooses.

I understand the Marlins reluctance to give him a big payday right now. Can we afford the risk that he re-injures his arm and then end up stuck with a long-term contract? Apparently 3 yrs at $15-16M was a good enough deal to take on the risk.

For AJ that is considerably less than he could get as a FA provided he is healthy. Is AJ confident enough in his arm to have a season worthy of the big payday? Or is there a lesser number he would take right now to play it safe?

For both sides it's all about assessing their risk, and their willingness to take a chance.

My bet is that AJ at 28 will go into the season confident that pot will be at the end of the rainbow in September.

I agree AJ has earned the right to test the market if he chooses.

I understand the Marlins reluctance to give him a big payday right now. Can we afford the risk that he re-injures his arm and then end up stuck with a long-term contract? Apparently 3 yrs at $15-16M was a good enough deal to take on the risk.

For AJ that is considerably less than he could get as a FA provided he is healthy. Is AJ confident enough in his arm to have a season worthy of the big payday? Or is there a lesser number he would take right now to play it safe?

For both sides it's all about assessing their risk, and their willingness to take a chance.

My bet is that AJ at 28 will go into the season confident that pot will be at the end of the rainbow in September.

678639[/snapback]

I think that this one'll be resolved in S.T.

He'll be re-signed, especially if they set the level at 3/$21.

Oh, and just a thought: if 3/$21 gets it done...that still leaves us a boatload of freed up rotation cash (Leiter, Hampton) to replace Leiter (because you have to believe that Olsen/Bazardo will replace Valdez)...perhaps a Penny reunion?

I still think that if the Marlins present an attractive deal, Burnett may be hard-pressed to say no. It's a risk both ways. If he rejects a fair deal, then he has to bank on (1) remaining healthy and (2) having a great year. This is a huge gamble in Burnett's case since neither of these two have really come together for him in the past. If he gets injured this year, or has a bad year, he will be in no position to demand big dollars on the free market. He would likely have to settle for less than what the Marlins would offer now.

Pavano hit the jackpot with his performance last year. Every free agent would love to have their best year be their contract year. But it doesn't always work out that way.

For now, Burnett is saying what he should in order to position himself in the best possible place as he goes into his contract year.

3/21 is a good deal for us considering most here believe it'll take at least 8 mil to resign him on the open market. If we do that now, maybe have some incentives in there about voiding the deal after two years if he spends x amount of days on the DL with problems related to his earlier injury and/or a fourth year that kicks in based on starts made at maybe 8-9 mil (proving health during the term of the contract) and I think you have a happy AJ.

A.J. Burnett indicated that he might be willing to take a three-year, $21 million contract from the Marlins to forego free agency, but the team offered only $16 million over three years.

''Hopefully, when I start off 9-0, they'll bring me another contract,'' he said. Burnett will likely get $10 million per year as a free agent should he make it through this season healthy. He remains a big injury risk, of course, but we'd certainly take him over Eric Milton or Jaret Wright for the next three years. Feb. 6 - 4:54 am et

Source: Miami Herald

C/O Rotoworld

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.