Marlins Sign 6 Players

Fish2Repeat

MIAMI -- The Florida Marlins today announced they have signed shortstop Derek Wathan, outfielder Eric Reed and pitchers Kevin Cave, Michael Flannery, Randy Messenger and Chris Resop to one-year contracts. The announcement was made by Senior Vice President and General Manager Admin Beinfest.

Wathan, 28, batted .302 with 10 home runs and 47 RBI in 106 games with AAA Albuquerque last season, his sixth in professional baseball. Selected by the Marlins in the second round of the 1998 First-Year Player Draft out of the University of Oklahoma, he is a career .270 hitter with 30 home runs and 316 RBI in 768 minor league games.

Reed, 24, played all of last season at AA Carolina, batting .306 with three home runs and 14 RBI in 55 games. In three seasons of professional baseball, he has hit .306 with three home runs and 58 RBI in 261 games. Reed was selected by the Marlins in the ninth round of the 2002 First-Year Player Draft.

Cave, 24, split last season between Carolina and Class A Jupiter. He went 0-4 with a 5.73 ERA and six saves in 20 games with Carolina and 2-1 with a 3.00 ERA and two saves in 19 games with Jupiter. In four seasons since being selected by the Marlins in the 17th round of the 2001 First-Year Player Draft out of Xavier University, Cave is 8-16 with a 3.51 ERA and 42 saves in 133 games (five starts).

Flannery, 25, split last season between Albuquerque and Carolina. He went 4-3 with a 8.49 ERA and two saves in 29 games with the Isotopes and 4-2 with a 5.29 ERA and two saves in 25 games with Carolina. In five professional seasons, Flannery is 22-24 with a 4.31 ERA and 69 saves in 234 games (13 starts). He was selected by the Marlins in the 33rd round of the 1999 First-Year Player Draft out of Gloucester College in New Jersey.

Messenger, 23, went 6-3 with a 2.58 ERA and 21 saves in 58 games with Carolina last season. In 172 games (82 starts) during his six-year career, he is 33-28 with a 4.51 ERA and 23 saves. Messenger was selected by Florida in the 11th round of the 1999 First-Year Player Draft.

Resop, 22, went 3-1 with a 1.94 ERA and 13 saves in 42 games with Class A Greensboro last season. In three seasons of professional baseball, two as a pitcher, he is 3-2 with a 2.65 ERA and 13 saves in 52 games. Resop was selected by the Marlins in the fourth round of the 2001 First-Year Player Draft. Wathan, Reed, Flannery, Messenger and Resop are all members of the Marlins' 40-man roster. The Marlins currently have 40 players on their 40-man roster. Cave, who was outrighted today to Carolina, will attend Major League spring training as a non-roster invitee.

MIAMI -- The Florida Marlins today announced they have signed shortstop Derek Wathan, outfielder Eric Reed and pitchers Kevin Cave, Michael Flannery, Randy Messenger and Chris Resop to one-year contracts. The announcement was made by Senior Vice President and General Manager Admin Beinfest.

Wathan, 28, batted .302 with 10 home runs and 47 RBI in 106 games with AAA Albuquerque last season, his sixth in professional baseball. Selected by the Marlins in the second round of the 1998 First-Year Player Draft out of the University of Oklahoma, he is a career .270 hitter with 30 home runs and 316 RBI in 768 minor league games.

Reed, 24, played all of last season at AA Carolina, batting .306 with three home runs and 14 RBI in 55 games. In three seasons of professional baseball, he has hit .306 with three home runs and 58 RBI in 261 games. Reed was selected by the Marlins in the ninth round of the 2002 First-Year Player Draft.

Cave, 24, split last season between Carolina and Class A Jupiter. He went 0-4 with a 5.73 ERA and six saves in 20 games with Carolina and 2-1 with a 3.00 ERA and two saves in 19 games with Jupiter. In four seasons since being selected by the Marlins in the 17th round of the 2001 First-Year Player Draft out of Xavier University, Cave is 8-16 with a 3.51 ERA and 42 saves in 133 games (five starts).

Flannery, 25, split last season between Albuquerque and Carolina. He went 4-3 with a 8.49 ERA and two saves in 29 games with the Isotopes and 4-2 with a 5.29 ERA and two saves in 25 games with Carolina. In five professional seasons, Flannery is 22-24 with a 4.31 ERA and 69 saves in 234 games (13 starts). He was selected by the Marlins in the 33rd round of the 1999 First-Year Player Draft out of Gloucester College in New Jersey.

Messenger, 23, went 6-3 with a 2.58 ERA and 21 saves in 58 games with Carolina last season. In 172 games (82 starts) during his six-year career, he is 33-28 with a 4.51 ERA and 23 saves. Messenger was selected by Florida in the 11th round of the 1999 First-Year Player Draft.

Resop, 22, went 3-1 with a 1.94 ERA and 13 saves in 42 games with Class A Greensboro last season. In three seasons of professional baseball, two as a pitcher, he is 3-2 with a 2.65 ERA and 13 saves in 52 games. Resop was selected by the Marlins in the fourth round of the 2001 First-Year Player Draft. Wathan, Reed, Flannery, Messenger and Resop are all members of the Marlins' 40-man roster. The Marlins currently have 40 players on their 40-man roster. Cave, who was outrighted today to Carolina, will attend Major League spring training as a non-roster invitee.

681932[/snapback]

...and a partridge in a pear tree!

681932[/snapback]

What great recognizable signings these are :plain

681968[/snapback]

eh these guys are all in our system already and a couple of them will be key cogs on the big club in the next few years

681973[/snapback]

You see the name Messenger? Well, you are looking at our new closer after Mota shows us that he really is no closer material... So keep that name in mind...

681932[/snapback]

681968[/snapback]

eh these guys are all in our system already and a couple of them will be key cogs on the big club in the next few years

681973[/snapback]

You see the name Messenger? Well, you are looking at our new closer after Mota shows us that he really is no closer material... So keep that name in mind...

682367[/snapback]

Actually, I think that Mota will do bad in the closing position and then he'll put Alfonseca in the closing role. Alfonseca has that scary appearance and that fast heat that is very hard to catch up too. You can't do anything about it with just 3 outs left. Also, Mota feels comfterble and has proved in the past that he can be a good reliever. So it it aint broken, why fix it? Alfonseca has also proved in the past that he can be a good closer.

So you have one proven closer and one proven reliever. Why not put them in their spots? Don't switch their jobs around!

681932[/snapback]

681968[/snapback]

681973[/snapback]

682367[/snapback]

Actually, I think that Mota will do bad in the closing position and then he'll put Alfonseca in the closing role. Alfonseca has that scary appearance and that fast heat that is very hard to catch up too. You can't do anything about it with just 3 outs left. Also, Mota feels comfterble and has proved in the past that he can be a good reliever. So it it aint broken, why fix it? Alfonseca has also proved in the past that he can be a good closer.

So you have one proven closer and one proven reliever. Why not put them in their spots? Don't switch their jobs around!

682471[/snapback]

Because mota is a better pitcher. Everyone starts somewhere, and mota has earned a chance to close. I believe thats why we acquired him. and the closing spot is mota's to lose. If mota does poorly and alfonseca does well we can switch them. Alfonseca's best year was as a setup man not as a closer so the same arguments apply both ways

Jack will earn his money again this season. Besides resolving the problem of who plays Right Field, he has to be a Bull-Pen Manager. The talent has been provided. What he does with that talent...

I, too, believe Mota has earned the Closer spot. But, I am more confident in Alfonseca than I was a couple of years ago.

This is going to be excting and nail-biting.

What do you expect us to do, allow a number of our prospects to just walk away as free agents for no apparent reason?? Please.

681983[/snapback]

These guys are nobody's, sorry if I don't do jumping jacks everytime we sign no-name AA players.

682726[/snapback]

You also said Cabs has no arm .... so yeah ..

What do you expect us to do, allow a number of our prospects to just walk away as free agents for no apparent reason? Please.

681983[/snapback]

These guys are nobody's, sorry if I don't do jumping jacks everytime we sign no-name AA players.

682726[/snapback]

682804[/snapback]

What do you expect us to do, allow a number of our prospects to just walk away as free agents for no apparent reason? Please.

681983[/snapback]

682726[/snapback]

682804[/snapback]

Look at the stats:

Miguel's range factor (Putouts + Assists complied by ESPN):

LF: 1.75

RF: 1.86

Now compare to JP & Enc

JP: 2.30

Enc: 2.12

Conine: 2.27

Clearly, relative to the other outfielders, Cabrera's arm lacks or he'd be doing better in that category. Not saying he's the Mike Piazza of the outfield, but he doesn't have a cannon.

681983[/snapback]

682726[/snapback]

682804[/snapback]

Look at the stats:

Now compare to JP & Enc

Clearly, relative to the other outfielders, Cabrera's arm lacks or he'd be doing better in that category. Not saying he's the Mike Piazza of the outfield, but he doesn't have a cannon.

682928[/snapback]

Shouldn't you add the numbers together since he played in both positions last year?

I love when people twist and construe stats to try and fit into their just plain wrong arguments.

Miggy had more Assists in left field (6) than Conine (5), even though Conine played 23 more games in LF. Cabrera also tied for 13th in the league for assists for a LF'er with those 6 even though he played only 59 games there.

In RF he tied for 14th out of all major league RFers with 7 assists even though he only played 100 games there. He also had more assists in RF than Encarnacion even though Encarnacion played 125 games in RF, 25 more than Cabrera.

So keep trying to argue your pointless argument QuickGold, you are just digging yourself a bigger hole.

681983[/snapback]

682726[/snapback]

682804[/snapback]

Look at the stats:

Now compare to JP & Enc

682928[/snapback]

Shouldn't you add the numbers together since he played in both positions last year?

I love when people twist and construe stats to try and fit into their just plain wrong arguments.

Miggy had more Assists in left field (6) than Conine (5), even though Conine played 23 more games in LF. Cabrera also tied for 13th in the league for assists for a LF'er with those 6 even though he played only 59 games there.

In RF he tied for 14th out of all major league RFers with 7 assists even though he only played 100 games there. He also had more assists in RF than Encarnacion even though Encarnacion played 125 games in RF, 25 more than Cabrera.

So keep trying to argue your pointless argument QuickGold, you are just digging yourself a bigger hole.

682948[/snapback]

First, who does "he" refer to? Cabrera? They listed out the stats for both positions so I gave them for both positions. I don't see whats wrong with that.

The point is Miguel does not have a cannon. He's on the team for his defense otherwise he wouldn't have been moved around the field like a utility player.

681983[/snapback]

682726[/snapback]

682804[/snapback]

Look at the stats:

Now compare to JP & Enc

682928[/snapback]

682948[/snapback]

First, who does "he" refer to? Cabrera? They listed out the stats for both positions so I gave them for both positions. I don't see whats wrong with that.

The point is Miguel does not have a cannon. He's on the team for his defense otherwise he wouldn't have been moved around the field like a utility player.

682958[/snapback]

relative to the other outfielders, Cabrera's arm lacks

Explain this. He had more assists than any of the guys based on the outfield positions they played.

And like Accord said, he tied with Vlad for 2nd in the entire league if you add up all of his OF assists. I guess you won't settle for anything but 1st huh? I think you should tell Miggy you think he has a weak arm to his face and is lacking when compared to the other OFers on the team.

681983[/snapback]

682726[/snapback]

682804[/snapback]

Look at the stats:

Now compare to JP & Enc

682928[/snapback]

What a dumb argument, Cabrera ranked second in all of baseball and he is TIED WITH VLAD GUERRERO in outfield assists, you simply don't do that if you have a weak arm.

FACT: Cabrera's right arm is a cannon.

You should really stop talking before you make yourself look like an even bigger fool.

Explain this. He had more assists than any of the guys based on the outfield positions they played.

682961[/snapback]

I'm referring to arm strength; guys with cannons are Vlad, Sheffield, Encarnacion, Edmonds, Griffey, etc. Cabrera's throwing arm is not in that category. I used the Range Factor stat because that's the best stat I can think of to illustrate my point regarding arm strength. I dont think Assists is a good guage to measure how good an arm he has seeing as the amount of assists you have is relative to the amount of balls get hit to you and that's not standard for every player.

682961[/snapback]

I'm referring to arm strength; guys with cannons are Vlad, Sheffield, Encarnacion, Edmonds, Griffey, etc. Cabrera's throwing arm is not in that category. I used the Range Factor stat because that's the best stat I can think of to illustrate my point regarding arm strength. I dont think Assists is a good guage to measure how good an arm he has.

682968[/snapback]

Cabs tied for 2nd in the league with Vlad for assists last year. More than most of the guys you listed there obviously.

Do you understand what range factor measures? It measures the assist and put outs. Put outs are the ones you catch. How does arm strength do with how many balls you catch? Fact is he was right at the top of the league in OF assists, tied for second in the entire league. If that doesn't mean you have a cannon arm I don't know what does.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.