What %#&@ color terror threat level are we at??

Hotcorner

How come I haven't seen any terror warning levels since the election? No need for them anymore? I mean not that anyone gave a rats ass about them anyway, but what gives? Anyone believe the terror threats have dropped to zero?

The warning levels are all over the place during the year of the election, & now the stoplight is nowhere to be seen.

Just because Tom Ridge & Ashcroft are gone & they took their toys with them? Or because Karl Rove no longer has any need for it? You make the call.

They were a joke anyway, I don't think them going away has anything to do with the election.

693828[/snapback]

Uhhh, notice how right after a couple of the debates where Bush lost soundly to Kerry, the threat level went up? Not to mention every person who wasn't blind to the fact, knows that the terror threat levels are meant to induce fear of the unknown in the population and thus keep them under control.

They were a joke anyway, I don't think them going away has anything to do with the election.

693828[/snapback]

Uhhh, notice how right after a couple of the debates where Bush lost soundly to Kerry, the threat level went up? Not to mention every person who wasn't blind to the fact, knows that the terror threat levels are meant to induce fear of the unknown in the population and thus keep them under control.

693835[/snapback]

By assuming the Administration was fearmongering, you're also implying that they think we actually took these color codes seriously - which I doubt.

693828[/snapback]

693835[/snapback]

By assuming the Administration was fearmongering, you're also implying that they think we actually took these color codes seriously - which I doubt.

693846[/snapback]

I don't doubt the many of our intellectual population took them as a joke, but the fact is that this population in the country is ready to be afraid since the world was turned upside down by 9/11.

The whole "color coded terror alert system" was scrapped when John Ashcroft left his position, according to what I heard.

I could never take that thing seriously, it was by far the most useless alert system in the history of the United States, and was nothing more than a tool for scaring the country.

Actually at DHS the color code system is still used. I'm not sure if theyre going to get rid of it but its still around. Right now we're at yellow, which isnt that bad. However, when it went up to orange security was beefed up at all types of govt areas and checkpoints. For example when it was orange the security guards would search the employees cars all around and udner the car to make sure there were no explosive devices. when its yellow they dont do it anymore. And I think the color code system came from us not from DOJ although I could be wrong.

I think the terror alerts were legitimate--but I highly doubt that they were as severe as the government made them sound...You know how that game telephone works--one person starts the story and it gets ripped apart by the time it reaches everyone else.

Anyway, I think it also helped people feel more comfortable--having a visual safeguard and knowing that the government was still on top of things. The worst thing would have been if the government completely denied any terrorist activity and let us live unaltered lives.

I don't know why everyone assumes government conspiracy just because Bush is president. Do you guys really think that everything he does is to gain the vote? He must have some level of love and loyalty to his country.

edit* That last comment was a general statement.

Leftypower I'm not sure that using the terror threats to his advantage (& I'm not making that contention necessarily) would mean he doesn't love his country. Just that he & his backers will use any means necessary to remain in power.

... and you think that thing made people feel SAFER?

CFDodge, if by your own admission you don't think the white house even thought the public took them seriously, what do you think was their purpose for them? If it was just for show, doesn't the timing of them have an impact?

I don't want to start talking about the election by the way.... it just seems worth noting that for a time a headline like "TERROR THREAT RAISED TO LIME GREEN" was trumpeted out of the white house, and now nothing of the kind is reported. They've basically covered all the bases by just throwing out there "it's a good bet we're going to get attacked again sometime in the future."

HC, I simply think it was a result of the post 9-11 frenzy, forming the Department of Homeland Security, coming up with and passing the Patriot Act, etc. Bush and the public were just as caught up in it.

What are they going to do? Say "Gee, folks, we really don't need this goofy s***?"

Nah. They just kept it up until just recently, until a good stopping point came up: say it's the election, say it's the cabinet changes.

Leftypower I'm not sure that using the terror threats to his advantage (& I'm not making that contention necessarily) would mean he doesn't love his country. Just that he & his backers will use any means necessary to remain in power.

... and you think that thing made people feel SAFER?

CFDodge, if by your own admission you don't think the white house even thought the public took them seriously, what do you think was their purpose for them? If it was just for show, doesn't the timing of them have an impact?

I don't want to start talking about the election by the way.... it just seems worth noting that for a time a headline like "TERROR THREAT RAISED TO LIME GREEN" was trumpeted out of the white house, and now nothing of the kind is reported. They've basically covered all the bases by just throwing out there "it's a good bet we're going to get attacked again sometime in the future."

694046[/snapback]

Never said safe, corner. I said it made them feel comfortable (to a certain extent) that they would have a visual representation of the current terror status--bogus or not.

Better than being completely clueless if you ask me.

HC, I simply think it was a result of the post 9-11 frenzy, forming the Department of Homeland Security, coming up with and passing the Patriot Act, etc. Bush and the public were just as caught up in it.

What are they going to do? Say "Gee, folks, we really don't need this goofy s***?"

Nah. They just kept it up until just recently, until a good stopping point came up: say it's the election, say it's the cabinet changes.

694050[/snapback]

true enough...

694050[/snapback]

Knee jerk reactions.

Security never really failed at the airports.

But yet we do all this knee jerk crap. All you have to do is be smart. The Dept of Homeland Security is just another crap department that was never really needed. I thought the job of this department was essentially the job of the CIA and FBI. If they would do their job and actually work together this type of things might be prevented.

It was always just a way to placate the public cause Joe Blow is an idiot.

9/11 ended hijacking in the US forever.

695063[/snapback]

That's exactly what I have been thinking. We're spending all of our time looking for potential hijackers, when I seriously doubt that Al Qaeda thinks they can get away with that type of attack again.

A bomb in a suitcase would be much more likely. A greater effort should be made to inspect the cargo airplanes are taking on before they get in the air.

I think color alerts are a decent system to make sure local and federal government are on the same page in term of terrorism.

With that said, I agree that they were way overused during the election and potentialy used as a political tool.

695297[/snapback]

The stupid color code system exists b/c without it if a terrorist attack happens ppl will bitch about not being warned. so now this system has been created to amuse us

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.