Back-up Catchers

Flag Man

All of the suggestions posted above have merit.

The Marlins and Orioles seem to be on good terms (example: the Orioles helping us to secure Luke Hagerty) and when the front office gets a better look at Willingham in spring training, one of three (Willingham, DeFelice, Treanor) may be expendable.

With all the hype (meant in a positive way) surrounding Willy one has to believe he will (absent a catastrophic injury to one our position players or starters) spend at least one more season in the Marlins organization before he either earns a place on the team or is traded.

If I'm correct then either Treanor or DeFelice may be available in a few weeks. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Others may disagree but my guess is Treanor makes the team and DeFelice and Willingham platoon at Albuquerque with Willy getting the lion's share of work.

As an aside, anyone know about other catching prospects in the Marlins organization who are close to or at the AAA level who can backup up the surviving catcher at that level in the event of a trade?

Ryan Jorgensen is in camp this year, and may start at AAA.

695174[/snapback]

He's also techincally a candidate for the backup job in the majors even if that is considered a longshot.

Can we even trade Defelice?.... Isnt there like a date you can trade newly signed players? like mid year or something?

meanwhile, unless you are getting a great package, there is no reason to trade Willingham

also Gerenomi Gil(O's current backup) is just as good as Treanor and better than DeFelice

The Orioles have said they want to carry 3 catchers most of the season to allow Javy Lopez get a breather in the late innings and plenty of time at DH.

They can find better catchers than Treanor and DiFelice, and aren't the type of organization that would want Willingham. They did pick up Jack Cust and Matt Diaz each of the past two years, so it might not be fair to say that. Their organization isn't smart or skillful enough to put a player of that talent into a useful role.

While I agree he has little trade value (in my opinion), he doesn't suck either. He's ok as a backup catcher...they could do much worse.

695306[/snapback]

i guess your right they could have ME as there catcher. I agree maybe i went too far in saying he sucked. I mean he can do everything except hit, field, run, etc. otehr than that he is the second coming of Yoggi Berra. LOL j/k

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.