Pierre ready to begin the season

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Juan Pierre passed his final test on Sunday and is ready to start the 2005 season where he spent every inning of the 2004 season, in center field for the Florida Marlins.

Playing with the big-league team for the first time since March 7, Pierre went 1-for-6 in the Marlins' 21-2 victory over their low-Class A affiliate, the Greensboro Grasshoppers, and played eight innings, longer than any starter. He singled in the third, then stole second and scored when Carlos Delgado walked with the bases loaded.

In the fourth inning, Pierre sprinted in and dove to catch a shallow fly ball hit by Greensboro shortstop Brian Cleveland. One inning later, Cleveland returned the favor, robbing Pierre with a diving catch in short left field.

"I had a couple of balls I had to go get, run down the line good and test it out pretty good these last three days," said Pierre. "No pain, no stiffness and, hopefully, I'll be ready to go on Tuesday."

The Marlins open the season at home on Tuesday against the Braves.

After straining his right calf muscle, Pierre sat out 24 days before playing in a minor league game on Friday. He has not felt any pain since returning.

"Getting up the next morning, that's the key," he said. "You always feel good playing, it's how your body reacts to all that, and it's been reacting pretty good."

Pierre took about twice as long to loosen up on Sunday because of the game-time temperatures, which were in the high 50s. Once he started, he did not want to be removed.

"I wanted to get him out early, he kept wanting to play one more," said manager Jack McKeon. "He said, 'Let me go all the way.' I finally said, 'That's enough.' He said, 'Let me hit one more time.' I said, 'OK, go ahead and hit and get out of there.' "

In 2004, Pierre became the first player to play every inning of every game since Travis Fryman did so in 1995.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=fla

Guest Moneyball

JP is a class act. This is the type of player teams dream over. What a guy. If this work effect were only to rub off on our two potential star pitchers.

Guest Fritz

Pierre is really the key to this offense. Hopefully with him in the lineup our offensive issues will be solved and it's always nice to have a 200 hit, 40 steal guy leading off for us.

Pierre is really the key to this offense. Hopefully with him in the lineup our offensive issues will be solved and it's always nice to have a 200 hit, 40 steal guy leading off for us.

728170[/snapback]

hey frits y is dontrell in your s*** list??? i can understand beckett and lo puca, but y dontrell?