Can Guillermo save 50?

Closer: Guillermo Mota, Florida Marlins

Drafted as a shortstop and converted to a pitcher, Mota has a young, fresh arm. He has served as an apprentice under Eric Gagne and Armando Benitez, and he has finally graduated to the closer's role. He has the stuff to be dominating and the nasty demeanor that the role demands.

The Marlins will give him a lot of opportunities to close games because of their deep and potent offense as well as their quality starting rotation. Mota could 50 saves in his first year as a closer.

link

i believe if he stays healthy along with the marlins offense and pitching, then he certainly can hit the 50 save plateu

Closer: Guillermo Mota, Florida Marlins

Drafted as a shortstop and converted to a pitcher, Mota has a young, fresh arm. He has served as an apprentice under Eric Gagne and Armando Benitez, and he has finally graduated to the closer's role. He has the stuff to be dominating and the nasty demeanor that the role demands.

The Marlins will give him a lot of opportunities to close games because of their deep and potent offense as well as their quality starting rotation. Mota could 50 saves in his first year as a closer.

link

i believe if he stays healthy along with the marlins offense and pitching, then he certainly can hit the 50 save plateu

729265[/snapback]

yes i belive he can.......

Potentially, I could be wrong on some of these picks. Oh, there's that dirty word again. You know what that means for a general manager. The reality is that not all of these players will fulfill their potential this season. Some will be on next year's list, just as Beltre must have been an annual nominee.

The good news is that if these players don't reach their potential, it won't be my fault. Come on, what could possibly happen ? I get fired?

Steve Phillips, former general manager of the New York Mets, is a regular on ESPN's Baseball Tonight.

thats how he ended it...real credible, i'm surprised he doesn't work for any of the new york papers :whistle ....same link

I think he'll save 10-15 games and blow about half as many, then Jack will give the closing duties to Alfonseca.

729319[/snapback]

Are you being sarcastic or serious? If you are being serious, what are you basing your conclusion on?

Mota has come into a game with a lead 83 times in his career, and has held it 72 times (67 holds, 5 saves).

p.s. I hate it that most articles always list his "5 saves, 11 blown saves" statistic. That's probably THE most unfair way to judge a setup man.