origin of the infamous schiavo memo revealed

Shaq-Man

looks like mel martinez is again at the center of another dirty politicking scandal.

once again, he disavows all knowledge and points the finger at his staff...haha.

Martinez aide wrote memo on Schiavo

Counsel resigns after furor over document

By Tamara Lytle

Washington Bureau Chief

Posted April 7 2005

WASHINGTON -- The strategy memo outlining how Republicans could gain political capital by intervening in the Terri Schiavo case was written by Florida Sen. Mel Martinez's legal counsel, who abruptly left his job Wednesday.

Martinez, a freshman senator from Orlando who was the leading sponsor of the Schiavo bill that Congress passed in an extraordinary session on Palm Sunday, said he earlier had been assured by aides that his office had nothing to do with producing the memo that created a furor on Capitol Hill.

"I never did an investigation, as such," Martinez told The Washington Post on Wednesday. "I just took it for granted that we wouldn't be that stupid. It was never my intention to in any way politicize this issue."

But Brian Darling, Martinez's legal counsel and a former lobbyist on gun rights and other issues, on Wednesday admitted writing the now-infamous document after Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, told [the Post] that the Republican senator gave him the memo, calling it "talking points" on the GOP's Schiavo proposal.

In a statement issued Wednesday night, Martinez said that Harkin asked him for background information on the bill and that he gave him what he thought was a routine one-page staff memo on the legislation.

"Unbeknownst to me, instead of my one page on the bill, I had given him a copy of the now infamous memo that at some point along the way came into my possession," the statement said.

The mystery of the memo's origin had roiled the Capitol. Republicans disavowed it, accusing Democrats of concocting the document as a dirty trick; Democrats accused Republicans of trying to duck responsibility for exploiting the profoundly brain-damaged woman as she lay dying in a Pinellas Park hospice.

The memo called the drama a "great political issue" for Republicans and singled out Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., as being vulnerable in the 2006 election for not sponsoring the legislation.

Martinez apologized to Nelson in a statement Wednesday and said the memo "in no way reflected my motivations for being involved in this legislation whatsoever."

"As a senator, I am ultimately responsible for the work of my staff and the product that comes out of this office. I take full responsibility for this situation," Martinez said. "This in no way [is] how I intend to conduct my business as a United States senator."

The unsigned memo -- which initially misspells Schiavo's first name and gives the wrong number for the pending bill -- includes eight talking points in support of the legislation and calls the controversy "a great political issue."

The memo flap was not the first controversy for Martinez, the former Orange County chairman and secretary of the Housing and Urban Development during most of President Bush's first term.

During his hard-fought GOP Senate primary campaign against former Rep. Bill McCollum last year, he ran ads and sent out fliers bashing his opponent as a darling of the "radical homosexual lobby."

Martinez said he had not approved the mailings and pulled the ads under fire from GOP Gov. Jeb Bush, among others.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/flo...la-news-florida

Martinez, a freshman who was secretary of housing and urban development for most of President Bush's first term, said he had not read the one-page memo. He said he inadvertently passed it to Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), who had worked with him on the issue. After that, officials gave the memo to reporters for ABC News and The Washington Post.

Harkin said in an interview that Martinez handed him the memo on the Senate floor, in hopes of gaining his support for the bill giving federal courts jurisdiction in the Florida case in an effort to restore the brain-damaged Florida woman's feeding tube. "He said these were talking points -- something that we're working on here," Harkin said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...4-2005Apr6.html

If the dummycrats had run someone other than Jihad Betty this wouldnt be happening

733811[/snapback]

For once, I would have to agree with you Cangelosi. I wanted to vomit when I saw that Castor won the nomination. So I ended up writing in Peter Deutsch as my choice for Senator, mostly as a protest vote.

If the dummycrats had run someone other than Jihad Betty this wouldnt be happening

733811[/snapback]

For once, I would have to agree with you Cangelosi. I wanted to vomit when I saw that Castor won the nomination. So I ended up writing in Peter Deutsch as my choice for Senator, mostly as a protest vote.

737459[/snapback]

something tells me legacy didn't have peter deutsch in mind when he made his comment.

that nut would've been lucky to pick up much more than 40% of the vote in a general election.

733811[/snapback]

737459[/snapback]

something tells me legacy didn't have peter deutsch in mind when he made his comment.

that nut would've been lucky to pick up much more than 40% of the vote in a general election.

737495[/snapback]

Castor was a much better choice than Deutsch, she just wasnt a good one either. She almost beat martinez, which i doubt deutsch would have even gotten close to doing. I dont follow the local democrats well enough but there must have been a better candidate somewhere in their ranks.