Jersey overkill?

QuickGold

There was a time when teams wore white jerseys at their home games and gray unis on the road. These days, teams have up to 5 different uniforms. Take a look at Mike Piazza as an example:

So question is, have things gone too far in terms of too many jerseys?

You'd be hard pressed to say no after seeing this:

Guest Moneyball

I think the maximum a team should have is 4. A home, road, alternate, Sunday uni. The Mets need to get rid of one. Having a white and pinstriped home is IMO overboard.

As for the SD unis, those are to honor the men and women in the armed forces. Seeing as how SD is a huge naval city it doesn't bother me.

There's no reason the Mets have a home black and a road black. That's overkill. I can sorta understand the pinstriped white and the white without pinstripes. It is nostalgic but the 2 blacks is very unnecessary.

741820[/snapback]

One's for home, one's for the road...

As much as I don't like the Mets black uniforms (they need to get rid of black uniforms, especially when it's not the team color i.e. the Royals, Mets, etc.), the Mets don't overdue it any more than a lot of teams...they have the regular home (white without pinstripes), regular road (gray), alternate home (black with white pants), alternate road (black with gray pants), and retro home (white with blue pinstripes)

But teams will continue to crank out as many different jerseys as they can think of...the more they crank out, the more stuff they can sell...the more stuff they can sell, the more money they make

One of these days teams will have different unis for every day of the week

I think its fine.

You can't use the same black as home and away, and it gives them a choice as what to wear on the road. Maybe they don't always want to wear grey on the road.

The Marlins have 4 jerseys the Mets have 5, gee whiz. Kill 'em because they wanna break out the pinstripes once in a while.

If anyone could explain why the Marlins have 3 home jerseys and only 1 road jersey, that would be great too.

If anyone could explain why the Marlins have 3 home jerseys and only 1 road jersey, that would be great too.

741845[/snapback]

We wear the black at home and on the road so it doesn't really count for either and I could be wrong but the other home jersey (with just the F logo) seems to be gone this season as they did not wear it on Sunday which was the day they wore it last season.

741845[/snapback]

We wear the black at home and on the road so it doesn't really count for either and I could be wrong but the other home jersey (with just the F logo) seems to be gone this season as they did not wear it on Sunday which was the day they wore it last season.

741846[/snapback]

http://shop.mlb.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=717431

They have the "F" one listed as the offical 2005 alternative home #2, which means they'll crack 'em out at sometime.

We wear the black on the road that says "Marlins" and not "Florida"? Because I thought all the road jerseys had the teams place on it. If in fact we wear a black "Florida" jersey, then that pushes our total, officially, to 5. :whistle

We wear the black on the road that says "Marlins" and not "Florida"? Because I thought all the road jerseys had the teams place on it. If in fact we wear a black "Florida" jersey, then that pushes our total, officially, to 5. :whistle

741848[/snapback]

I don't think there's a black jersey that says Florida on it.

741848[/snapback]

I don't think there's a black jersey that says Florida on it.

741851[/snapback]

Yeah... that's odd.... hmm. So we have 4 jerseys in total for 2005.

Guest Moneyball

741845[/snapback]

741846[/snapback]

http://shop.mlb.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=717431

They have the "F" one listed as the offical 2005 alternative home #2, which means they'll crack 'em out at sometime.

741848[/snapback]

Not all road jerseys do have the team's location on the uni. The Angels, Orioles, Brewers, and Cardinals don't have their city's name on the road unis.

The black and "F" uni us referred to as just an alternate. So we have 1 Homes, 1 Road, and 2 Alternate.

Link

I don't see why theres a problem at all, I like the mix up, get to see something new... I remember one year when the Stros had a white home jersay, a grey away, An alternate red for a away and home and alternate black unies for home and away, and two different hats, i thought it was pretty cool, it would probably sell more also from people trying to get all unies or someone prefering one over the other...

I think what the alternate was used for a while back was a thinner cooler jersay for sunday day games, then black came in which didnt make much sense but probably more for style...

I don't see why theres a problem at all, I like the mix up, get to see something new... I remember one year when the Stros had a white home jersay, a grey away, An alternate red for a away and home and alternate black unies for home and away, and two different hats, i thought it was pretty cool, it would probably sell more also from people trying to get all unies or someone prefering one over the other...

I think what the alternate was used for a while back was a thinner cooler jersay for sunday day games, then black came in which didnt make much sense but probably more for style...

742047[/snapback]

I agree. I don't like looking at the same thing all the time... In fact, I think we should bring in some throw-back vests with teal undershirts and hats with a black bill... those unis were sharp, and if they were put on the marlet they'd sell like crazy.

742047[/snapback]

I agree. I don't like looking at the same thing all the time... In fact, I think we should bring in some throw-back vests with teal undershirts and hats with a black bill... those unis were sharp, and if they were put on the marlet they'd sell like crazy.

742136[/snapback]

Would just a vest be cheeper than the full jersey? :mischief2