Things that we can do...

Pengh

Can anyone come up with any ideas...? I know this probably sounds stupid or whatever, but I've been printing some pretty nice quality stickers on my PC and sticking them up at gas stations pumps "GO MARLINS!" and some times just the LOGO... anyways what else can I do.

The biggest single impediment, at least in my mind, to creating fan interest in the Marlins is the local media, and most significantly, the lineup at WQAM, the flagship of the Marlins radio broadcast network.

There isn't another major league baseball city in America where baseball (and the home town team) is treated so dismissively. To have a football-loving, baseball-hating neanderthal like Jim Mandich doing drivetime, to me, is one of the root causes of the Marlins attendance woes. From Fatberg to Neil Rogers to Howard David there isn't a chance in a million that anyone passionate about baseball would waste one second listening to them.

In losing the Dolphins, QAM has decided to saturate their lineup with Dolphins-talk in hopes of minimizing the value of 790's contract. The effect of that decision is to virtually exclude the Marlins and makes it impossible for fans to talk the sport.

Spend a minutes at WEEI in Boston and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Until the Marlins can find a media home where they are the predominant attraction that fills their day with baseball talk (at least during the season), it's going to be more of the same in attendance and general fan interest.

The biggest single impediment, at least in my mind, to creating fan interest in the Marlins is the local media, and most significantly, the lineup at WQAM, the flagship of the Marlins radio broadcast network.

There isn't another major league baseball city in America where baseball (and the home town team) is treated so dismissively. To have a football-loving, baseball-hating neanderthal like Jim Mandich doing drivetime, to me, is one of the root causes of the Marlins attendance woes. From Fatberg to Neil Rogers to Howard David there isn't a chance in a million that anyone passionate about baseball would waste one second listening to them.

In losing the Dolphins, QAM has decided to saturate their lineup with Dolphins-talk in hopes of minimizing the value of 790's contract. The effect of that decision is to virtually exclude the Marlins and makes it impossible for fans to talk the sport.

Spend a minutes at WEEI in Boston and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Until the Marlins can find a media home where they are the predominant attraction that fills their day with baseball talk (at least during the season), it's going to be more of the same in attendance and general fan interest.

782703[/snapback]

your right about that...i'm starting to think they should move to 790 as well cause of that idiot madich talks about is the stupid dolphins. the other idiot goldberg talks about his stupid horse races and the biggest idiot of them BIG o talks about the miami hurricanes. who gives a s*** about a college team??i sure as hell don't... i thought we have a contrat with them so they can talk about our baseball team.... not those loser dolphins that they lost the contract from...i hope the dolphins go 0-16 SCREW THEM...

Well then its up to fans like us to flood QAM and other sports talk shows around the area with Marlins talk. Maybe if we do that, more people will jump on and we can get a real baseball talk show here.

782714[/snapback]

790 does stuff about the marlins all the time and we don't have a contract with them...WTF and if you do call and try to talk baseball with that idiot madich hell cut u off and start talking about the freaking dolphins....SCREW WQAM :censored

placing the blame on WQAM is going a bit far . . .Not saying they don't contribute.

The quality product is there, and every sports fan in South Florida should have a clue about that.

This is just a slow process where the fan base is being built

782710[/snapback]

You're entitled to your opinion, and I agree there are other factors, but to ignore the absence of a baseball sports forum for spontaneous baseball talk has to be right up there among the two or three reasons why baseball doesn't get more respect in this market.

As for bombarding QAM for a day its a fool's errand (not that who posted that suggestion is a fool, it's just not going to change things there). Not to mention the on-air talent have no interest in either taking your calls or developing a dialogue regarding the sport. And while there is some Marlins talk on 790, the fact is for the most part it's only with Boog, Joe Rose has neither the passion required or the interest in the sport although I do give him credit for not ignoring it completely, OJ is waste of time for baseball fans, and LeBatard's (who I have forgiven for his past Marlins-related sins) show is more ego-driven than sports oriented.

At some point the Marlins are either going to draw a line in the sand with QAM or move elsewhere to (pardon the pun) be the big fish.

They cannot continue to allow themselves to be treated like second class citizens on their broadcast home station.

placing the blame on WQAM is going a bit far . . .Not saying they don't contribute.

The quality product is there, and every sports fan in South Florida should have a clue about that.

782710[/snapback]

You're entitled to your opinion, and I agree there are other factors, but to ignore the absence of a baseball sports forum for spontaneous baseball talk has to be right up there among the two or three reasons why baseball doesn't get more respect in this market.

As for bombarding QAM for a day its a fool's errand (not that who posted that suggestion is a fool, it's just not going to change things there). Not to mention the on-air talent have no interest in either taking your calls or developing a dialogue regarding the sport. And while there is some Marlins talk on 790, the fact is for the most part it's only with Boog, Joe Rose has neither the passion required or the interest in the sport although I do give him credit for not ignoring it completely, OJ is waste of time for baseball fans, and LeBatard's (who I have forgiven for his past Marlins-related sins) show is more ego-driven than sports oriented.

At some point the Marlins are either going to draw a line in the sand with QAM or move elsewhere to (pardon the pun) be the big fish.

They cannot continue to allow themselves to be treated like second class citizens on their broadcast home station.

782733[/snapback]

i agree.... :thumbup ...but i disagree with on the second class citzizens their treating us like we don't exist in their shows...only when the announcers recap everything they remeber about our team...if its not for that the talk in qam would be dolphins,miami hurricanes,heat,panthers and then marlins...god i dislike this station....

Considering that the Marlins are basically the big dogs of the station now, they should do more to improve interest of the team through the airwaves. I mean it is sickening beyond belief to hear Dolphins talk on May 25 when the Heat are still in the playoffs and the Marlins season has only really begun.

Considering that the Marlins are basically the big dogs of the station now, they should do more to improve interest of the team through the airwaves. I mean it is sickening beyond belief to hear Dolphins talk on May 25 when the Heat are still in the playoffs and the Marlins season has only really begun.

782737[/snapback]

i agree....its damn shame the crap they gotta put up with...

782710[/snapback]

782733[/snapback]

I agree. But what can we do as fans to help this situation?

There is nothing you (as a fan) can do so long as QAM's business plan is to hold onto as much of the Dolphin's listenership as possible without having to pay rights fees.

In the same way that 790 promotes themselves as the "home of the Miami Heat fans..." QAM is trying to do the same thing with the Dolphins. You can expect when NFL games start that QAM will be fighting for every listener right up to the second the game starts, not ceding anything to 790, and going huge the minute the game ends.

That of course is bad news for the Marlins, which is why they have to get out of there.

...I've been printing some pretty nice quality stickers on my PC and sticking them up at gas stations pumps "GO MARLINS!" and some times just the LOGO...

782684[/snapback]

Please stop defacing other people's property. The only thing accomplished by such an act is a proclomation that some idiot Marlins fan is an a__hole that doesn't respect other people's property. :thumbdown